Community Forum

Rare Horse Breeding Guidelines

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
alexalaina
Visit My Farm

Rare Horse Breeding Guidelines

Post by alexalaina »

Welcome! This guideline to breeding rare horses has been put together by Alaina Farms as a part of our rare horse breeding project. The following post will contain a table of contents that provide resources about the rare breeds.Thank you for looking at this post, it will be updated as soon as possible!

Table of Contents
About the Rare Horse Breeds - coming soon
In order to breed rare horses, I have done extensive research into these different breeds. When deciding to create a rare breed of horse, I would recommend looking at the formulas and deciding which horse breeds would be easiest for you to create with the horses you already have. ALWAYS BREED WITH PUREBRED. You may not get the right breed if it is not a purebred. If you have any questions please feel free to post below or PM me!
IF YOU BREED RARE HORSES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD YOU TO A LIST ON THIS POST. THANKS!
Arabianninja
Visit My Farm

Re: Rare Horse Breeding Guidelines

Post by Arabianninja »

alexalaina wrote:
Welcome! This guideline to breeding rare horses has been put together by Alaina Farms as a part of our rare horse breeding project. The following post will contain a table of contents that provide resources about the rare breeds.Thank you for looking at this post, it will be updated as soon as possible!

Table of Contents
About the Rare Horse Breeds - coming soon
In order to breed rare horses, I have done extensive research into these different breeds. When deciding to create a rare breed of horse, I would recommend looking at the formulas and deciding which horse breeds would be easiest for you to create with the horses you already have. ALWAYS BREED WITH PUREBRED. You may not get the right breed if it is not a purebred. If you have any questions please feel free to post below or PM me!
IF YOU BREED RARE HORSES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD YOU TO A LIST ON THIS POST. THANKS!

Hi how much are you wanting for the horses for sale for any of them as I have beed looijg for some rare breeds to sate breeding
But I am also starting to breed Aregeiois :D
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

Hey there. I'm working both with rare breeds and breeds most commonly needed for breeding. Hit me up if any of my horses on this account or my side (Revenant / Coastal Plain) are helpful.
horsesfurever
Visit My Farm

Post by horsesfurever »

alexalaina wrote:ALWAYS BREED WITH PUREBRED. You may not get the right breed if it is not a purebred.
Hi alexalaina,

I'd like to make a small comment on this particular section. If you are breeding rare breeds, using purebreds and successfully breeding whatever rare breed you are trying for is pretty uncommon, in my experience. I'm not saying it can't be done, but rare breeds are rare for a reason, the reason being that it isn't easy to breed them. This is especially true for heavier breeds that come from light breeds. You simply cannot use purebred light horses to breed heavy horses. Take the East Friesian for example. The formula is: East Friesian = (Andalusian x Anglo-Arab) x Hanoverian. All three of those breeds are light, compared to the minimum requirement of Medium Light on the heaviness scale. So instead of saying to breed with purebreds only, I would actually say DON'T use purebreds if you're going for a rare breed. Breed mixes of whatever breed needed so that they get close to a 5* evaluation for whatever rare breed you're looking for, but make sure that they are "half" or "mixed" of whatever breed, instead of (example breed) x (example breed) crosses.

Also, I am breeding Murakosis on my second account, horsesfurever1, and a variety of rare(ish) breeds on my main if you want to check it out!

Hopefully this helps!
-horsesfurever
meduzk
Visit My Farm

Post by meduzk »

I can confirm that. I managed to breed Kaimanawa yesterday after a long effort. In doing so, I found that it is not possible to breed Timor Pony or Australian Pony from pure breeds, for example, because they have specific requirements that do not meet any of the breeds from which they arise. So it is better to use a mix that meets the requirements of the breed than pure breed, from which you will never get the desired breed.
In the name of the breed, but of course there must be only the breed from which it is required to arise. But it doesn't matter if it's "half" or "part" or "mix". I even managed to breed the desired breed of two horses who did not meet any of the prerequisites. Each of them was on the opposite side of the pole and succeeded :)
HL85
Visit My Farm

Post by HL85 »

how rare are zebra leg markings?
Become a Patron!