The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Cracked the Tobiano Code

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Bebe
Visit My Farm

Cracked the Tobiano Code

Post by Bebe »

I just bred my first fully white Tobiano 5 star Gypsy Vanner colt! Took me a lot of horses and an embarrassingly high COI, but I cracked the code. Mission achieved.

VR Nevyn
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Cracked the Tobiano Code

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Bebe wrote:I just bred my first fully white Tobiano 5 star Gypsy Vanner colt! Took me a lot of horses and an embarrassingly high COI, but I cracked the code. Mission achieved.

VR Nevyn
Congrats very cute
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I see a tiny spot of black just below the eye.

Although I haven't looked into the tobiano gene, so I don't know for certain, but I thought that a full white tobiano wasn't 'possible'.

Either way, seeing an all-white and not dilution white is very nice. I'm certainly adding this to the favorites post.
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Bebe wrote:.
Congrats! He's beautiful. I love the "warmth" in his white coat, much unlike the fully greyed or pseudo-white HWO horses :)
BlackOak2 wrote: Although I haven't looked into the tobiano gene, so I don't know for certain, but I thought that a full white tobiano wasn't 'possible'.
So far, it's believed that it's impossible for a real life tobiano to be max white. Maximum expression of tobiano, with no other white pattern or booster will leave the face and tail tip coloured. If I recall correctly, it's phenotypically referred to as 'Moroccan', and the horse may or may not have a face marking (though usually not extensive) or blue eye(s) caused by tobiano as well.
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aela wrote:...
So a full-white tobiano will still have some color somewhere.
That's good to know, thank you for the information.
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Aela wrote:...
So a full-white tobiano will still have some color somewhere.
That's good to know, thank you for the information.
I'm not too sure about the horses on here, but in real life - yes :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

BlackOak2 wrote:I see a tiny spot of black just below the eye.

Although I haven't looked into the tobiano gene, so I don't know for certain, but I thought that a full white tobiano wasn't 'possible'.

Either way, seeing an all-white and not dilution white is very nice. I'm certainly adding this to the favorites post.
I actually have seen that black below the eye in some other colors and think its is an artwork issue
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Bebe
Visit My Farm

Post by Bebe »

Thanks everybody! It's a pleasure to read that he makes you smile. :)
Aela wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Although I haven't looked into the tobiano gene, so I don't know for certain, but I thought that a full white tobiano wasn't 'possible'.
So far, it's believed that it's impossible for a real life tobiano to be max white. Maximum expression of tobiano, with no other white pattern or booster will leave the face and tail tip coloured. If I recall correctly, it's phenotypically referred to as 'Moroccan', and the horse may or may not have a face marking (though usually not extensive) or blue eye(s) caused by tobiano as well.
I actually bred Nevyn from two 'Moroccans':

Sire
VR Tobias

Dam
VR Marion

Does anyone know why this isn't possible in real life?
Imagodei
Visit My Farm

Post by Imagodei »

Bebe wrote:I just bred my first fully white Tobiano 5 star Gypsy Vanner colt! Took me a lot of horses and an embarrassingly high COI, but I cracked the code. Mission achieved.

VR Nevyn
Congratulations Bebe!

It is truly amazing how hardworking you were at this whole thing. Your hard work has for sure paid off as the horses you have achieved are very valuable and make people who are still working to achieve their goals even more motivated! I do have a curious question though and an interesting experiment if you would be interested in testing it out with me? I own a White mare, who comes from a line of white and leopard horses, and am curious that if we bred the two together, if the foal would come out White or with Tobiano markings? Let me know if you would be interested in testing this out, I am more than happy to sell you the foal if need be and pay a high price for a single breeding.

Here is the Mare:
Legacy
RoyalSkully
Visit My Farm

Post by RoyalSkully »

Just found this thread and boy oh boy am I glad I did. I'd love to help with this project of yours, as I have a whole program dedicated to breeding, selling, and studding out 'White' (Idk anything about genetics or what their actual colors so for now, I'm calling them white) stallions and mares. If you ever need anything relating to 'White' horses, give me a ping or whatever! Glad I found this thread, have a good day :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm