The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Marwari

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Marwari

Post by Sunpath »

The Marwari

The Marwari is an indigenious breed from India, more specifically from the area of Marwar. The Marwari come in all colors, although paints are most popular among breeders and buyers. The colour of the horse is important in the breeder's culture - white horses are held high for religious purposes and the pattern and markings of a paint can be studied to determine if the horse will bring luck, be healthy, get ill and so on. A horse with a blaze and/or four white legs are considered lucky. Horses that are entirely black are believed to bring bad luck since the black color is associated with death. Gray horses are auspicious and are the most valued among buyers and breeders.

The Marwari has a rocky history that includes a period of almost being extinct. In 1995 the first organized attempt to save the Marwari was started, and in the years to follow several different societies that aimed to preserve the breed was created. In 2007 plans started to create a studbook and around that time the Marwari Socitey became a gorvernment body, which increased the possibility to fund a breeding programme.
Last edited by Sunpath on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunpath Acres brand: - Ṩᴬ -
Second account: SunpathAcres
Queenie
Visit My Farm

Re: Marwari

Post by Queenie »

I'm interested in doing this! However I am new and not totally understanding this all works yet. But I'm definitely interested :)
starburst
Visit My Farm

Post by starburst »

I'll join in on the fun! XD Count me in!
Queenie
Visit My Farm

Post by Queenie »

I've got a little colt who I'm training up, and in the mean time I'll be working on training my Arabian to eventually get her to breed to the right horse, which will breed to the eventual right horse to start making Marwaris from scratch to liven up the gene pool
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

Hello, sorry for late reply from me but I took a little break from the game. When I did return I found that my stallion was still the highest ranking one and had been used a lot by others for breeding. He is called Zoon and is at the moment MCh of racing, GCh of sprint racing and Ch of steeplechase and harnessracing. I am from now on going to be online and play everyday, so those of you who wish to breed with him - now is the chance.

We have an inbreeding situation going with the marwaris. We could definitely be using more foundation lines to mix our own into.

Then we have the issue of coloring. Zoon has sired or is directly related to many of the marwaris we see in the stud pages, which means that there's one heck of a lot of grays about. Also many so called "yellow genes" that causes colours such as buckskin. In real life marwari come in almost every color and even painted colors. On that department we have a lot to focus on.

My breeding goal is only to do what I can in order to improve the breed as a whole. My best studs are up for a fairly cheap sum so that people can get good quality stallions for their mares. That will continue to be my goal even as I am trying to increase the numbers of colors. Quality > Looks in my humble opinion.
kicara90
Visit My Farm

Post by kicara90 »

i have a few Marwari horses, with quite a few different colours if anyone wants to use any of the stallions for breeding I can put them up really cheaply. some are grey but there are a few who aren't grey.
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

kicara90 wrote:i have a few Marwari horses, with quite a few different colours if anyone wants to use any of the stallions for breeding I can put them up really cheaply. some are grey but there are a few who aren't grey.
That would be extremely helpful as my non-gray mares are getting older now and I'll soon run out of breeding material.
kicara90
Visit My Farm

Post by kicara90 »

Sunpath wrote:
kicara90 wrote:i have a few Marwari horses, with quite a few different colours if anyone wants to use any of the stallions for breeding I can put them up really cheaply. some are grey but there are a few who aren't grey.
That would be extremely helpful as my non-gray mares are getting older now and I'll soon run out of breeding material.
if you have a look through my Marwari pasture then if you see one you would like to use just tell me his name and I can put him up for stud for you/anyone else is welcome to ask as well. the price for stud of all of them is 1.
Sunpath
Visit My Farm

Post by Sunpath »

kicara90 wrote:
Sunpath wrote:
if you have a look through my Marwari pasture then if you see one you would like to use just tell me his name and I can put him up for stud for you/anyone else is welcome to ask as well. the price for stud of all of them is 1.
I see that you have a lot of horses sired by Aatma. Aatma is one of the horses that I raised a while back and he is related to a lot of mine. :)

Could you put your stallion Sam up for stud for a couple of days? He has a good breeding report and a rare color, I think you would do the whol marwari community quite the favor if you kept him up for stud permanently.

I also spotted two mares with interesting colors. Would you be interested in selling Miscalculated Equation? Or Mis ColourBreak once she has had her foal?
Skraythrax
Visit My Farm

Post by Skraythrax »

Sam's beautiful champagne color came from my Golden Gunsmoke (after I talked Thaddeus out of rehomeing her!) which I sold to KnightofNi who ended up making Marwari's with her. Thaddeus and I are thinking of helping with this Marwari project. I would second putting Sam up for stud, he's a great horse.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 pm