The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

American Cream Draft

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

American Cream Draft

Post by Revenant »

AMERICAN CREAM DRAFT
“The American Cream Draft is the only draft horse breed developed in the United States. The breed originated in Iowa in the early 1900s, and it has always been rare. The story of the breed begins with a horse named Old Granny, a mare auctioned at a farm sale in Story county, Iowa, in 1911. Old Granny was a cream colored draft mare of unknown ancestry, born sometime between 1890 and 1905. She consistently produced cream offspring. A few Iowa breeders became interested in the cream bloodline, especially after the birth of the stallion Silver Lace in 1932, a great‑great grandson of Old Granny. Silver Lace was an impressive figure, standing 16 hands high and weighing 2,200 pounds.” - The Livestock Conservancy

The four main components for evaluating an American Cream Draft (ACD) can be found in its guidebook. This includes the ideal height, build, body size, and type. An ACD added to the studbook should meet this ideal, however any ACD can be registered.

HEIGHT: 15.0hh to 17.0hh.
BUILD: Medium Heavy to Very Heavy.
BODY SIZE: 70% to 95%.
TYPE: 65% to 90% Pony Type.

-HWO-
CONFORMATION: The weight of the ACD averages at 1,500-1,800 lbs for mares and 1,800-2,000 (or more) lbs for stallions. The ACD has a refined head with a flat facial profile that is neither concave nor convex. Horses should have a wide chest; sloping shoulders; and a short, strong back. The ribs should be well sprung. The hindquarters should be well-muscled. The legs should be set well apart, strong, and well-proportioned. Their hooves should be strong.

COLORS/PATTERNS: The only accepted color is gold champagne ranging from dark to light. The ideal horse should have amber or hazel eyes, medium cream color, and white manes/tails. They can have white markings. Mares can be added to the purebred registry if they have a similar phenotype to gold champagne but are in fact genetically flaxen chestnut. Metallic is allowed because champagnes often have a metallic/pearly sheen. Horses can be added to the appendix registry if they are other colors. Half-bred ACDs can be added to the appendix registry as well with preference towards horses crossed with other draft breeds.
The preferred genotype of the ACD: ee (A+/A/At/a) gg crcr dd ChCh ff zz pp stysty (M/m) rbrb ++ oo spsp lplp mm patn1patn1 patn2patn2.

DISCIPLINES: ACDs excel at driving (driven dressage, marathon driving, and obstacle driving) and log pull. Purebred and appendix ACDs may do well in other disciplines, especially those where movement is important (ex: dressage and hunter).

OTHER: The ACD’s movement is easy and free and they are sure-footed. They have a calm, willing temperament--a good disposition. They are an easy draft breed to handle, even for new horse owners. They have a willingness to work. They are easily managed on small farms.

---

You can learn more on the American Cream Draft Horse Association and The Livestock Conservancy websites.
Last edited by Revenant on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Re: American Cream Draft

Post by Revenant »

Last edited by Revenant on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

PUREBRED REGISTRY
Last edited by Revenant on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

APPENDIX REGISTRY

STALLIONS
Tygrus American Dream

Purebred 3* ACD [+2]. Sooty buckskin pangare. N#9A.

CP Cut Gem

Purebred 2* ACD. Metallic sooty palomino. N#13A.
MARES
Unnamed Horse #336729

Purebred 4* ACD [+2]. N#14A.
Last edited by Revenant on Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

ACTIVE BREEDERS
Revenant - Coastal Plain Ranch (CP)

Tygrus - Tygrus's Farm
http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/view/9656

SageSix - SG Stables (SG)
http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/view/24398
Last edited by Revenant on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

I haven't been extremely active in the month of April due to Camp NaNo, but I'm back now. I currently have one purebred ACD stud and several half/mixed/part ACD horses. If there is any interest in breeding with any of them, please let me know. I can also lower costs if needed or even do a trade.

As of now, the breed is holding steady at 20+ horses with two main breeders. Hopefully we can gather more interest from Belgian, Shire, or Percheron breeders. If not, at least I don't intend to stop breeding America's only heritage draft breed.

As of now, my goal is to continue working towards the ACD breed standard as per usual, though the biggest hurdle is the specific color requirements. I may need to switch to only out-crossing with chestnut-based horses. Suggestions on how to reach the goals sooner are quite welcome.

I would also ask that anyone who wishes to have their horses added to the registry post links to them here on this page for them to be added. Thank you.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

Here for our June update, fellow breeders and anyone interested in ACDs. Reminder that you are free to contact me here or send me messages anytime.

As of now, we have 37 active horses. This is improvement over the prior months. We also have seven (7) purebred stallions up for stud. I will be updating the studbook. If anyone is interested in registering their horses, a reminder to post them here. I will otherwise be registering my horses for the most part except when I have time to "go fishing".

I also would like to welcome a new breeder, SageSix, who has been part of the reason for the uptick in numbers. They have some lovely ACDs with good phenotype, many chestnut-based purebred and half/mixed/part horses. I would suggest contacting them if you are breeding ACDs or intend to.
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

I have compared my breeds' conformations to the conformation bonuses in game. This is what I believe is accurate and am using for my own herd, but isn't a requirement by far. This is just an example of my own opinion on the breed and the game mechanics.

As for the ACD, here is my work-in-progress document. Feel free to copy but please mark who wrote it.

"
AMERICAN CREAM DRAFT (ACD)
Head & Neck Conformation
  • Face Profile: The ACD has a refined head with a flat facial profile that is neither concave nor convex. (The ideal face profile is about median.)
    Face Length: Moderate. (A slightly shorter face can enhance agility while a slightly longer face can be advantageous to balance and stamina.)
    Jowl: Thin to moderate jowl. (A thick jowl can hinder movement by restricting flexion at the poll.)
    Neck Length: Moderate to short. (A shorter neck can enhance strength. A medium neck is ideal for agility and balance.)
Bonuses: Movement (jowl) and either strength (short neck length) or agility/balance (moderate neck length).

Shoulder & Barrel Conformation
  • Withers/Shoulder Angle: Sloping. (Sloping shoulders increase a horse’s range of motion which is advantageous to movement and, to a lesser degree, tempo.)
    Point of Shoulder: Lower point of shoulder. (The point of shoulder helps determine the slope of the shoulders in combination with the withers. A lower point of shoulder increases the overall slope of the shoulder which is ideal for tempo, stamina, and movement.)
    Rib Cage: Well sprung. (Well sprung ribs are ideal for stamina as it can help increase a horse’s lung capacity by allowing more room for the lungs to expand.)
    Depth of Flank: Moderate to deep flank. (A deep flank is ideal for stamina as it helps to increase the lung capacity while a shallow flank can be better for speed.)
Bonuses: Movement (and tempo; sloping shoulders); movement, stamina, and tempo (lower point of shoulder); and stamina (well sprung rib cage and perhaps deep flank).

Back, Haunches & Legs Conformation
  • Hip Angle: Moderate. (Flatter haunches enhance movement and, to a lesser degree, balance. A sloping haunch enhances strength and balance.)
    Hip Length: Moderate to long hip. (A long hip is ideal for creating the power necessary for speed and strength.)
    Leg Thickness: Moderate to thick legs. “The legs should be set well apart, strong, and well-proportioned.” (Thick legs are an advantage to strength and balance but could decrease speed.)
    Stifle Placement: Moderate. (A forward placed stifle is ideal for agility while a set back stifle is ideal for movement.)
    Back Length: “Horses should have a short, strong back.” (A slightly medium to slightly shorter back is ideal for strength and agility.)
    Croup Height: Moderate to uphill. (An uphill build is advantageous to strength and movement. A level build is ideal for agility and tempo.)
Bonuses: If long hip, speed and strength. If thick legs, balance and strength bonus with decrease in speed. Agility and strength (short back).

Total: Bonuses are strength (4), movement (3), agility (2), balance (2), stamina (2), tempo (2), and speed (1).

Best disciplines based on conformation are the ones with strength, movement, and two of the (2) bonuses.

Dressage (4/4)
Driven Dressage (4/4)
Hunter (4/4)
Log pull (4/4)
Reining (4/4)

The other two driving disciplines, marathon driving and obstacle driving, both include strength as the most important trait, but movement isn’t involved. On the other hand, obstacle driving has 3 (2) bonuses and marathon driving has 2 (2) bonuses."
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

If anyone is interested, I have some ACD for sale. Here is my pasture of mares. Make offers. Would love to see them go to someone who would use them for the breed.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/32597
Also have some Belgians with nice color for ACD in this pasture
http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/14297
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

For those interested, I have a perlino broodmare for sale. She has produced great foals for me, including a 4* filly I'll be keeping as her replacement. If you prefer cream-based ACD rather than champagne-based, she's a great lady for you.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/419618
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm