The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Przewalski Horse

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Przewalski Horse

Post by Hilayla »

redster wrote: And so when choosing which pairs to breed together, do you just manually compare the stats and try to choose pairs whose numbers might balance each other out, or is there some other method/thought-process you use when pairing them up?
Well, I just made the spreadsheet so I don't even have all my horses of one breed entered into it yet, but, when you see a lot of red/yellow/orange lined up on a couple of horses it's a signal you can pay more attention to. They go green/blue/purple as the stats get better. Try to match up lower stats with higher ones. You can also sort any column from high to low if you are looking the best in a particular stat. I'm also going to go back and make the font a size larger and bold on the columns for stats that are important to the discipline I'm aiming each breed for.

Seeing it all in color just makes it easier for me to match the details and pay attention so I don't breed my two worst horses together because of a random reason. It also let's you see at a glance which horses the worst when you decide to cull or sell. You can also see at a glance which are your best horses.

I plan to try to
a) breed the best overall horses to each other
b) breed the horses with the best movement (because that stat is just horrible in my horses)
c) breed for improving the discipline related stats in order of scoring importance.

I'm halfway to having enough PT for my next upgrade and anything past that will go to new foundation Tarpans and Przwalskis because I think part of my problem was starting with too few horses. I would get them crossed and stats improved. Then I would run out of new blood and COI would go up. Now I'm going to keep what I have while buying imported castoffs (to save on PT) to get at least 10 mares and 10 stallions to cross into my existing lines. I'm hoping, if I'm careful, that it will allow me to make more progress. I expect the stats will go down a bit at first but hopefully they won't fall too low (not that they are anything to brag about now).

With so few breeders, using outside studs can get pretty much all the other lines in which means all our horses would be related to some degree so I want to try to have different herds of each breed with uncrossed lines. Again, this is mostly just a big experiment but what I was doing doesn't seem to be working so I'm trying something new. Ultimately, I want Manipuris but I need to improve the base lines first AND have enough stock to cross into them that I can have unrelated to horses to start the breed with.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

I have a few Przewalski and I have worked them up to having a good stat so let me know if you need some new blood.
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Hilayla wrote:.
Man, even just reading through your thought-processes here is so immensely helpful! It reflects some of what my own guessing has been (as well as experiences from other genetics-based games that I've played in the past), as well as enlightening me on things I hadn't thought of. I'm excited to start refining my current methods and planning further ahead than I have been so far.

I'm doing good so far on avoiding COI, but part of that is because I've been spending PT on AC horses instead of an upgrade. I've only just recently realized that I should have maybe actually had my sights set on that. Whoops...
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Sorry to ping you again; I just had a quick question about the Herd Record google sheet. Since the cells don't do it automatically, and you use more color indicators than the few used on the site, how do you know what color cell to assign each stat value? Did you have a cheat sheet somewhere for that?

Nevermind! I don't know why it wasn't working when I first tried it! I've got it working now, though. :oops:

WILD FLICKA wrote:.
Hey there! I'm just now starting to work on my new Przewalski herd, and I'm starting from basically nothing. I'm interested in starting with at least some animals with decent stats, and I don't have enough PT to sift through a bunch from the AC, so any new blood or advice you might have for me at this stage would be very welcome.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

redster wrote:.
You can sift through the market but they are usually very hard to come by. I breed COI 0 so my horses are like the AC horses, but some have been worked up to better stats, but they have been kept true to the breed. have 2 studs I can put up for you currently and if you like I can offer you some extra foals. Just let me know if you want fillies or colts and if they have to be 5* for the breed or not. I assume you want none with red but would you like them to have at least 1 green stat or is neutral okay?
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1524866
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1531047
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

redster wrote:Sorry to ping you again; I just had a quick question about the Herd Record google sheet. Since the cells don't do it automatically, and you use more color indicators than the few used on the site, how do you know what color cell to assign each stat value? Did you have a cheat sheet somewhere for that?

Nevermind! I don't know why it wasn't working when I first tried it! I've got it working now, though. :oops:
I know you said nevermind but I just wanted to point out that I basically just gave a different color to every 10 places HOWEVER I noticed I forgot to add <less than 50> format in at least one place so they have the same color as the group before. Not a big deal really. I just used pretty random groupings. It doesn't take into effect red, green or gold stats as the game shows them I have considered just changing the text color for the stat on horses where appropriate. It basically just gives me a clear visual of the entire herd and where I need the most improvement and where I'm doing better.

Copying a stallion to mares page for comparison is something I thought of afterwards. I don't know enough about spreadsheets to know if I could make a function that would pull info (I think I can but I'd have to look up how to do it. I do not math well enough to try to make any kind of foal predictor.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Hilayla wrote:.
It took me a while to remember how Google sheets work, but I see what you're talking about now. I guess that means that your green color just has an especially wide range? That doesn't seem too bad. Already, the spreadsheet has been immensely helpful, and I can already see ways that I can start to shift my methods. At first, I really only cared about breed ratings as I was forming my lines and unlocking breeds, but now that my herds are stabilizing a little bit, I'm going to start working on eliminating those red stats.

WILD FLICKA wrote:.
Thank you so much for the filly! She's exactly what I'm looking for. Those studs are also totally perfect, so I'll be looking for them once I have females ready to breed. I like starting small and working up, so horses that are basically gussied-up AC animals are precisely what I'm looking for. I'm looking for no COI, no reds, and 5* breed rating, and that's about it.
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

Aaah I'm so excited!

Since it's only once in a blue moon that I ever find a halfway-decent Przewalski in the marketplace, I finally gave up and hit the AC. I've accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to have an upgraded account anytime soon, so I decided to spend my points and get some new blood into the population.

I rolled up a couple girls with red stats, but managed to find one without... and then, I rolled up a boy with a green stat!

It's so silly what we get excited about in this game, sometimes. I feel like I've stumbled across a diamond. :lol:

I'm sure I'll be putting him up for stud or selling his offspring soon, so I will keep you guys updated with progress as I go.
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla2 »

Oh my, he's a nice one. I don't think I've ever gotten anything with a green from the AC before. I usually get mine from the market though because I'm a PT hoarder.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 am