The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tarpan

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Qim
Visit My Farm

Re: Tarpan

Post by Qim »

Ziel wrote:.
Got two fillies for ya if you're interested --> Celeste, and Serena
Bid $500 each, and they're yours :)
Qim
Visit My Farm

Post by Qim »

Got some young Tarpans for sale, $500 each, if ya would have a look :)

[edit: All sold]
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

Just put a BUNCH of Pure Tarpan / high % Tarpan crosses up for sale! All 40-50k HGP.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 15&t=13387
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I just created a level 1 dressage show for Tarpans only. I'm thinking I may do some research into what disciplines may be better for them.

Then I started thinking about the breeding communities and how some of the TB people often host races and have little contests and such. I thought I'd bring it up here as a way to have some fun community building little contests.

Is anyone breeding for certain disciplines or mainly stats and sticking horses into whatever they are best at?

I'd be happy to create more shows at different levels and disciplines. Right now I can only host two at a time but I can raise that limit if there is interest. Anyway, that's what I was thinking about as I entered shows.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

Hilayla wrote:.
Hi, I think that would be really great! I don't personally compete with my horses as I'm focused on breeding, but I would be happy to supply a few horses when I have some extras!
ShadowDale
Visit My Farm

Post by ShadowDale »

Im back after a bit of a hiatus from the game. I have an adopted stallion with green Tempo and no reds as my stud right now, but I'm going to need more studs as my herd ages and his daughters become my main mares.I'm re-foucusing on just Tarpans & early breeds to try to see if we can improve the breed to get plenty of greens and golds and no reds, while keeping a low or no COI. If we can improve the foundation/wild breeds and get a larger base of them it should help out all the other breeds that come from them. I will need to sell off or rehome some colts that wont stay in the breeding program, as well as any fillies that aren't up to standard.
My growth will be fairly slow since I'm useing one account and not useing any real money, so any collaboration is appreciated.
ShadowDale
Visit My Farm

Post by ShadowDale »

Advice on who to cull from my breeding program and how?
Goals:
1. breed for green and golds in pure-bred Tarpans with 0% COI
2. My secondary goals are hope to keep stripes/spots, high HGP, and work towards 5* in Tarpan Exmoor and Mongolian standards. (the books I have for them and the breeds directly derived from them for now)

I'm not planning on breeding any horses with Reds, so I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the horses I dont use, selling for money, rehomeing or trying to give away (sell for $1).
I would like to overall sell enough to support the program's costs for expansion and cover the stud fees for both foals I do and don't want to keep. Currently I'm not wanting to keep somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of foals- I dont need the colts when I have access to the sire, unless the colts are better, and I dont want any colts or fillies that have reds. I've been tending to rehome colts, because I'm not patient enough to sit around and wait for them to sell, but I'm not sure what I should do with fillies that have a red. Do I just rehome them all and fund my program through local shows? I dont know that these fillies are useful for breeding or would keep them, but we also dont have a ton of Tarpans out there so I dont like rehomeing a bunch. I also hate to rehome if I paid a stud fee- Im not just wasteing the mare's womb time but money too.

I'm also working on a small line of Prezwalski's alongside my Tarpan herd, and am hoping to eventually have some good crosses, so I'm probably going to be doing the same rehomeing/selling/giving plan for them.

Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone wants cheap Tarpan colts I should have some, but they get rehomed for space if they dont sell fast. However, I think my "Doc" at $100 stud fee is a better stud than any colt I've got from him yet.
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

ShadowDale wrote:Advice on who to cull from my breeding program and how?
Goals:
1. breed for green and golds in pure-bred Tarpans with 0% COI
2. My secondary goals are hope to keep stripes/spots, high HGP, and work towards 5* in Tarpan Exmoor and Mongolian standards. (the books I have for them and the breeds directly derived from them for now)
I honestly think your goal of keeping COI at 0% is unrealistic at the moment - there are very few GOOD Tarpan lines out there. So far, I think I'm breeding the highest HGP line - as far as I've seen anyway. :lol: Low COI is a good goal, but unless there are multiple high HGP lines to pull from, aiming towards low COI is going to keep your HGP low, too. And it's not terrible to have SOME COI - IRL, all purebred Friesians sit at about 30% COI, and they're not necessarily unhealthy horses!

Your secondary goal is easier to pull off - Dun / LP / Tobiano are dominant, so passing the genes is easy. Only breed horses that are visible for the genes, and you'll keep it in your lines. Breeding two visible horses is your best bet, but breeding one visible horse to a non-carrier also has a good chance of producing a carrier.

As for keeping Red out of your lines: Simply put, cull ANY horse that turns out red from your lines, and try to breed horses with a negative report in a trait to a horse with good report in that trait. Tarpans are pretty notoriously bad in the strength department, so it can be difficult to pull this off, but not impossible. I outcrossed to Belgians to bring up the strength stat in my lines.

Also... get use to accepting you're going to be rehoming a LOT until you get past 50k HGP. My Tarpans are in the 50k range right now, and I only sell every once in a while... although tbf, I'm only selling for at LEAST $1k. It's just not worth the effort to try to sell anything less than that, I've found they don't tend to sell. :roll:
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

ShadowDale wrote:.
I personally rehome what I don't find useful because you aren't going to make much of anything off of them and the market is already flooded with horses. You could keep a couple decent ones in the sales as offers to players who want tarpans. I have this stud currently you can breed to for $1, As I use some better ones I will add them to the list.
Aqua Truffle
ShadowDale
Visit My Farm

Post by ShadowDale »

Do you guys know if feathering on the feet is dominant or recessive? and if color there is linked to mane/tail or hoof/leg color or it's own independent thing?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm