The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The English Thoroughbred

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Retsi
Visit My Farm

The English Thoroughbred

Post by Retsi »

Origins

The Thoroughbred was developed in England in the late to mid 17th century. Nearly all registered Thoroughbreds can be traced back to three stallions imported to England whom were bred with a mass number of mostly English mares. Other stallions were included in breeding the modern Thoroughbred, but are substantially less influential than the Darley Arabian, the Godolphin Arabian, and the Byerley Turk(Turkoman). Overall it is estimated that 160+ stallions were used in the making of the Thoroughbred, the most prominent being the Darley Arabian, whereas nearly 95% of male Thoroughbreds today share his DNA. Foundation mares for the breed are mixed English horses, and less information is known about these mares. It is said that all Thoroughbred mares share a common ancestor among these mares.

Distinguishing Features

The Thoroughbred is a slim and athletic horse, perfect for agility and speed. The average Thoroughbred is 17hh, making the horse tall and long legged. The weight for an active and healthy Thoroughbred is around 1,000 pounds! This horse is the same weight as horses much shorter, meaning it's very lean naturally! It is noted that the Thoroughbred has very muscular hind quarters as well.

Health & Breeding

Unfortunately due to inbreeding, Thoroughbreds can and do have many health issues. This includes small hearts/organs, bleeding from the lungs when exerted, low fertility, and conformation errors. Many accidents involving Thoroughbreds are blamed on conformation, such as the horse having thinner and weaker legs than it should. When racing, the Thoroughbred gives maximum effort and sadly their hearts or lungs fail often. The racing organization is not always concerned with the health of their athletes, and poor handling also makes a large contribution to the demise of these beautiful animals. Over 95,000 foals of the Thoroughbred breed are registered every year. Many countries including America, Australia, Poland, Russia, Germany, and Hungary have excellent breeding programs. Thoroughbreds are also used to add some speed and improve other breeds through foaling like the American Quarter horse.

Common Use

This particular breed is of course known for it's amazing racing abilities. Aside from racing, the Thoroughbred has shown it's dominance in many equestrian sports like Fox hunting and Polo, where agility and athleticism really have an advantage.

Fun Facts

All of the original brood mares used to kick start this breed were owned by kings!
Thoroughbreds hold more world records than any other breed

Secretariat
Secretariat is regarded as the fastest racehorse of all time and holds records that have remained unbroken for over forty years
"The fastest horse on dirt"

Man O' War
"The greatest racehorse that ever lived"
Incredible stride and heart

Ruffian
"Racings' greatest filly"
After winning 10 consecutive races, Ruffian tragically suffered an injury while racing in a highly anticipated match. She was humanely put down during surgery as her anesthesia refused to take.
"The only thing that beat her was death"

Phar Lap
"The Red Terror"
Winning 32 of 35 races including the Melbourne cup, this horse took Australia by storm
Phar Lap died mysteriously and very quickly, it is rumored that he was poisoned

Seabiscuit
"An American Legend"
An unlikely champion and underdog, Seabiscuit became a symbol of hope.

In Game

I've noticed that many of the Thoroughbreds I review have a very high COI percentage, a poor breed evaluation, low genetic potential, or very bad conformation. I would like to create new lines that really do this magnificent breed justice. I would like to breed out the bad qualities, and create a well rounded horse. I have began collecting Arabians and Turks to begin setting the foundations of my lines, would anyone be interested in contributing to this cause?

CREATION

[ Arabian x North African Barb ] x [ Akhal-Teke x Galloway ]

I need help with the Galloway, or advice. It is a breed that is rarely created and i've not made an effort at it.
I can manage Akhals and all else, but if anyone has 5* Akhal Tekes, North African Barbs, or Arabians for sale, please contact me. I am looking for low COI, NO reds, and purity as well as perfect conformation. Thank you!
Last edited by Retsi on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⋆ℜ⋆ Roaring River Equestrian ⋆ℜ⋆
LilyTromp
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: The English Thoroughbred

Post by LilyTromp »

Good luck with your quest! I might sell this 5* AT stallion:

Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

LilyTromp wrote:Good luck with your quest! I might sell this 5* AT stallion:

He's wonderful, I love buckskins :D
LilyTromp
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by LilyTromp »

If you want him you can make an offer of 1000.
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/887278

I don't know if this lass is any good to you but I will put her up for sale if she is.
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

Ricardo Ardo wrote:http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/887278

I don't know if this lass is any good to you but I will put her up for sale if she is.
She's cute, and her evaluation is spotless. How much were you asking for her?
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Retsi wrote:

I'll put her up for offers 100 will be fine.
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Retsi wrote:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/919087

Here's another that may interest you.
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

Ricardo Ardo wrote:
Retsi wrote:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/919087

Here's another that may interest you.
Indeed he does!
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Ok I'll put him up, same as the other one.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm