The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

WIN $1million *Judging Complete*

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
Kamichi Stables
Visit My Farm

Re: WIN $1million - May 1st-June1st

Post by Kamichi Stables »

Hi, really excited for this. I was inspired by the real races and the HWO races. Hope you enjoy!

Your Name:Kamichi Stables
Genre: Realistic
Your Story: The Derby
I sit confined in a wheelchair. My life was ruined, and so was the horse’s. Leg snapped, he fell, with me on top. My spine broken, I was paralyzed.
From the waist down, I could not feel. I wish I could. I could only feel the agony of defeat. The pain of my legs as they swelled was something I should feel, but could not. But, now, my legs were as useless as his leg.
He would never race again, maybe not even run again. The other two races passed, and neither of us were in them. Both in our own versions of intensive care. The story why, heart breaking.
Rain bombarded the track from the night before to an hour before the race. The track was a complete mess, but the Derby had to go on. It could not be canceled, not for anything.
All it meant for us jockeys was ride safe. But with so much on the line, it was ride fast or lose. The horses’ hooves made a squishing noise as they paced to the starting gates.
I sat upon him, a gorgeous dark bay. His eyes had the spark of a winner. The Winner. Today was our day. My bright green checked shirt fluttered in the wind. We were going to win.
The handler reached out to grab the reins. To bring us to the start of a good day. He willingly obeyed, knowing that once the gates opened, he could run, beat the other horses, win. The gates closed behind us. It would only be a matter of seconds before the bell sounded and we blazed a path to victory.
With a loud ring, the bell sounded. The gates opened. All around horses funneled out of their shoots, trying to get into a good position. His mane flew as we made our way into the middle of the pack. If I let him go too soon, we would loose. Let him go to late, we loose.
Jockeys all around us yelled words of encouragement to their horses. I also encouraged the bay to continue. He wanted to win as much as I did. Making us a perfect pair.
We seemed to eat up the ground. Flying through the race. I savored every second of it. It would all be over too soon.
The sun came out. Giving the whole track a better feel. I could still hear the squelching of his hooves as he thundered down the track. Nothing was going to stop us from winning.
The home stretch came into view, I gave the bay a kick of encouragement to get him to give it his all.
That’s when our world shattered into pieces. As a team, we raced. I guided him, he ran. I nudged him on the left, asking him to go to the right, to pass the black stallion in front of us.
It was easy enough, but with the ground so sloppy, he slipped, mid stride. His left front leg collapsed as he tried to regain his footing. Broken.
Without four legs to support him, he fell. And I went with him. I had no time to react. I was stuck in the saddle. As the bay fell, I was trapped beneath him. My spine broken upon impact.
The other jockeys, too focused on the race to stop, continued to victory and defeat. I could hear the siren’s of the ambulance coming as people surrounded us. Then everything faded away.
I woke up in the hospital. Dazed. After being filled in, I was shocked. Our careers were ruined. I would most likely never walk again, and he would never race again.
Our win had turned into that black stallion’s victory. No Preakness or Belmont for either of use The Kentucky Derby was the last race for us both.

Sorry for it being a sad story, just came into mind,
Kamichi
Last edited by Kamichi Stables on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
honeybunny
Visit My Farm

Post by honeybunny »

Your Name: Honeybunny (Golden Meadows)
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Your Story: Greyhound

This is inspired by my love of horse racing and horses that are different from the norm! Also Thank you Hall of Fame 2 for making this contest. It was so much fun for me to write something shorter than any of my novels! :D
Greyhound

I can still remember it. The smell of freshly oiled leather, horse sweat and turf.
The smells of the track.
I remember that day like it was yesterday, my first race… or should I say our first race.
The stakes where high, a green colt, a green jockey and a large purse.
I crack my knuckles as I walked into the saddling ring, my heart pounding as I scan the busy scene… “Ah, there he is.” Greyhound, the best colt in all of Kentucky. His beautiful steal-gray coat it shining with that special shine, he looks like the formidable race horse that he is. I walk over and give him a sugar cube, stroking each defined muscle, relishing the feel of his soft coat under my hands.
Greyhound, nudges my shoulder gently. I smile, “I know boy, I’ll get on in a second.”
The ring is busy. Greyhounds trainer, Jack, is talking to the colt’s owner Tom about the other horses who Greyhound will be racing.
Nearby a bay colt is dancing around trying in vain to avoid being saddled. I chuckle at the difference between this colt and Greyhound. Greyhound isn’t even tied, he just stands still the whole time. I see a trainer walking over to the big chestnut colt on the other end of the ring glance over, he gives Greyhound a mocking look. I know why, he doubts that Greyhound can even do anything on the track except be a danger to the other horses. I know why he is skeptical too, for you see, Greyhound is deaf and partially blind. No one knows why Greyhound was born deaf and slightly blind, but he was. But he is also smart, he reads feels everything and always knows what is happening even before I do.
Finally Jack comes over to give me my briefing. I shake my thoughts aside and listen carefully.

"Ok!"
"Greyhound is in the inside gate, so you need to get him to the middle. Just keep him steady and on a medium rein.
Don’t let him pick up the pace until the half way mark, then DRIVE!!! Whip him up and let the reins loose.
But most importantly, Jesse. Remember, let Greyhound run his own race if, the game plan doesn’t seem to work."

I smile at Jack and take the leg up onto Greyhound’s back. We are ready for the walk to the gates.
I slip my feet into my stirrups and take a firm hold on the reins, and my crop. Jack clips the stud chain to Greyhound’s bridle and we are off. Greyhound walks smoothly alongside Jack. I can feel the crowd watching, waiting for some excitement. But not much happens as we approach the starting gates. The bay colt is biting at his pace horse and a striking black mare is refusing to load into the gates easily. Greyhound ignores the other horses as Jack unclips the lead shank from the big colt’s bridle. “Ok, boy.” I whisper, watching the other horses load. Even though he can hear he can feel the vibrations of every word, and picks up on the emotions that are in the words.
It doesn’t take long before the final ‘ding’ is heard, telling the starting men that all the horses are loaded into the gates.
Greyhound is quivering, a tight, tense ball of power, ready to leap into action. Then I hear “RIDERS READY!!”. I pull myself into a racing seat and grab a good hold on Greyhound’s reins.
Then I see the light flash. Instantly I squeeze my legs against Greyhound’s sides as the gates open like a spring loaded trap.
Greyhound leaps away his powerful legs eating up ground. I start working him to the middle, pulling into a smooth ground-covering gallop.
“Things are going smoothly.” I think, as I push Greyhound into the middle of the track.
We are entering the straight. Greyhound try’s to take the bit in his teeth, he wants to pass the bay colt up ahead. But if I have learned anything about Greyhound, I have learned that once he is running full throttle there is no stopping him. So I tighten my grip, keeping the reins short and even.
We round the turn, and I feel Greyhound evening his stride, and eating more ground. I suddenly realize that we have left all the horses, except for the bay colt and the chestnut colt, far behind. As we enter the back stretch, Greyhound has passed the bay colt and is still running smoothly. But I can see that I can’t keep this pace and still beat the chestnut colt. With a sigh I give Greyhound his head, and start driving him up. Instantly Greyhound springs forward, his hooves pounding, he is eating up the track.
In a second he is passing the chestnut colt and starts the final turn.
I flatten my-self into Greyhound’s mane, urging him on.

A moment later I hear the crowd roar. I suddenly realize that Greyhound has just crossed the finish line in first place!! My heart beating wildly, I stand in the stirrups giving the cue to Greyhound to slow to a canter.
The crowd is still cheering like they just saw the Belmont. As I slow Greyhound into a smooth, gliding trot, I pat his neck and I take in the scene. Suddenly everything becomes a blur, like I'm in a dream. The sound drops to a dull roar. And I feel it, glory!

Next thing I know, Greyhound and I are covered in a blanket of flowers, and Greyhound is given a small drink from the trophy cup.
I’m interviewed, Greyhound is pampered and Tom is smiling like he is running out of time to smile.
But my heart isn’t in the festivities.
And long after the party has stopped being about Greyhound’s amazing run and has become a big session of back-pats for Tom’s “wisdom” in buying Greyhound, all those years ago when Greyhound was a scrawny, cow-hocked, deaf colt, who everyone said wouldn't be worth a penny if he even lived. Draining on last cup of water is leave the party in disgust, and walk slowly toward the stable.
I slip softly into the big colt’s stall, where he stands hoof *, sleeping deeply. His friend, a big white barn cat named Linx meows softly from him perch atop Greyhounds back. Then choosing Greyhound’s favorite curry, brush his gleaming coat. And run my hands over each defined muscle. Then I sit down in the hay and remember every detail of Greyhound’s run.
I pause my remembering as Greyhound sleepily nudges my shoulder, and I murmur “Where would we be without that wonderful colt called, Greyhound.” And with that I doze off in the hay, just me and that colt, Greyhound.

The End
"A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character."
Federico Tesio
Last edited by honeybunny on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:ping
Your Name: KYTrainer
Genre: Fantasy
Your Story:
My mind was muddled and confused. Where am I? I groaned and tried to hold my head upright. There was no way to hold my head that didn't send flares of pain down my spine. I felt cold, hard iron barrs pining my wings down, and there was heavy metal bands around my ankles and my snout. My eyes fluttered open, and my eyes adjusted to the darkness. My keen hearing picked up a soft hiss somewhere in the room. Is it an enemy? Did they bring me here? I remembered my last memory of what had happened. My family, my colony, they were all attacked by the small, metal-clad terrors. They shot a boulder out of one of their weapons. A catapult perhaps? The groan of heavy machinery groaned somewhere in front of me, and a shaft of firelight danced across the floor. The fiery rage welt up in my chest, and I was aware of the fire seeping in my mouth, ready to rage at any moment. But, I decided to act as though I was still unconscious. Many of the terrible little men entered the room, and grappled at my chains and loaded me on to a rolling flat surface, the pushed me out of the room. In the corner of my eye, I saw the silhouette of another dragon. There were so many twists and turns than I lost count if I had to escape. Left, right, right, left, left… Until eventually I was lead into a large circular stadium. Hmmmm…. Cages lined the walls, each with one of my kind snarling in them. I was put in to one of them, and I was aware of one of the guards not closing the cage door properly. As soon as they were out of sight, I tried the gate, and it swung out with a loud creak. I set to work, releasing all of my fellow dragons. We flew up, up, and away, roaring with triumph. I breathed a plume of flame into the air. I’m finally going home.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

Hey sorry for it being short, I had like 5 minutes to write it.
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

KYTrainer wrote:
Hey sorry for it being short, I had like 5 minutes to write it.
No worries, you are free to go back and edit it. I haven't read them yet.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

HallOfFame 2 wrote:
KYTrainer wrote: Hey sorry for it being short, I had like 5 minutes to write it.
No worries, you are free to go back and edit it. I haven't read them yet.
ok thanks
Mars2moon
Visit My Farm

Post by Mars2moon »

Mars2moon
Fiction
The Shadows Behind Us

I feel as if I'm floating as I race up the steep and rocky hill. I snort, horse-laughing at how far behind the rest of my herd lags behind, stumbling on the uneven ground. Except for Breath Of Wind who flies ahead of me, his mighty hooves pounding the ground. His and my sire is the same, and we were born in a horrid rear-people "breeding farm." They called us their "Prize colts." We ran away with Shadow, a magnificent stallion when there was a fire one night. We were accepted into this herd of wild mustangs, and Shadow became the lead stallion, letting Breath of Wind become second in command. I stop, panting heavily at the top of the hill, waiting for the rest of the herd to catch up. We have never held it against them that they are slower. Shadow, Wind and I were bred to be sure-footed and fast. Part Thoroughbred, part Quarter Horse, and part Rocky Mountain horse. But in our hearts, we are wild mustangs. A whinny of one of the arriving fillies rips me away from my thoughts as she stumbles up, tripping on a rock. I nicker softly, remembering Shadow. So many times has my herd encouraged me to focus on the good. How can I, when I have been separated from my beloved Shadow? One day we were foraging among the mountains when Shadow sacrificed himself to get captured so the rest of us could get away. They say he might come back, but it's been 3 months. And now, my swollen belly hangs heavy as I grieve for my unborn's sire. The rest of the herd arriving rips me from my thoughts once more and I slowly follow them as Breath Of Wind leads us to water.
[i]8 1/2 months later[/i]
I pant heavily as the handsome dark bay colt stumbles as he stands up for the first time and I look at him sadly as I see Shadow's shape. The colt madly suckles and I let him, not able to look away, remembering the handsome stallion that sired this beautiful colt. [i]He will run like the wind,[/i] I think, and a name comes to mind. Sun, for he will remind me of my Shadow. A whinny tears me from my thoughts, and I see a bedraggled horse stumbling towards us. Could it be? With that bedraggled coat and those bleeding tears? With a torn mane? When the horse comes closer and recognizes me, it lets out an even louder whinny and gallops with a limping but sure of itself stride towards me and Sun. As he gets closer I recognize the matted dark bay coat under all of the blood and the long, steady, and sure strides. I whinny with all of my soul and gallop towards the stallion. Sun nickers softly and chases after me as fast as he can with his newborn legs, soon getting the hang of a gallop, rocking back and forth with the same steady, sure strides as Shadow. I stop sharply, almost colliding with Shadow and nuzzle him gently, leading him and his offspring back to the herd.

Now, I can't tell you the rest of the story, because that is all that I heard myself before Shadow, Orchid (Main character,) Sun and their herd moved on, but what I can tell you is this. Last time I saw Orchid and Shadow, they were prancing into the sunset with little Sun trotting behind them next to Breath of Wind. And that's how they went, prancing into the sunset, with a happy ending, because that's how all stories should be. All horses should go like that, prancing into the sunset. Not being stabbed with a needle because they aren't good enough, or used and overworked because you have more, but prancing into the sunset, as all should go. And if you search the Canadian Rockies with a close eye, you might just find a wild mustang with a dark bay coat and long legs like a Thoroughbred racing into the sunset. And maybe, just maybe, with a hint of Quarter Horse in that distinct shape, like all of the horses sired by the great Shadow. And I can tell you that because I myself was passing through the parts when I saw a little mustang filly, in the image of Orchid. And maybe that's how they all go, prancing into the sunset.
The End.
[horse=]M2M Orchid[/horse]
h a z e l 3
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l 3 »

Would I be able to enter today, or is it too late :?
Royale
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale »

Is there any chance of this being extended? would love to enter, but dont have time.. if not, i'll still post my story when i do it if thats okay (not looking for the money, just love to join.) :)
HallOfFame 2
Visit My Farm

Post by HallOfFame 2 »

_h a z e l 3_ wrote:Would I be able to enter today, or is it too late :?
I will be extending it until June 5th. And judging will be delayed since my work schedule has picked up.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 am