Community Forum

Crummy foal quest. Anyone else working on it?

Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Crummy foal quest. Anyone else working on it?

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
That will be a very interesting bug, to say the least. If that chestnut foal from two blacks is NOT bronzing (considering that it had to receive a red gene from both parents to express), and the pattern is definitely different... that might define the issues you and I have seen in both of our herds. But I also wonder if some of those app-genes can only express on a coat-recessive horse. I am very interested in this outcome. Also about what admin might have to say concerning it.

Good luck. (Inactive or not, I just don't have anything new to add to this post just yet :P )
Finally, after I don't know how many times I tried, I got a chestnut based foal out of two black based parents and the result couldn't be more perfect to use in my demonstrations of what I have found.
Here is a link to the topic about it:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =18&t=9236

I did not post it in the bugs forum since I am not quite sure if it is a bug, even though it definitely looks like it from my perspective.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
Finally, after I don't know how many times I tried, I got a chestnut based foal out of two black based parents and the result couldn't be more perfect to use in my demonstrations of what I have found.

I did not post it in the bugs forum since I am not quite sure if it is a bug, even though it definitely looks like it from my perspective.
Brilliant work, Totina. That is certainly something I also want the admins to say yea or nay on. I think I might need to experiment with those black bases... except going black is outside of my objectives for my leopard tarpans, I may just have to do so... as a side project.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:

So I finally picked up an adequate draft to add to the appaloosa project, and good enough, he's black. As long as he offers patterns (unlike that first mare I grabbed) I plan to breed him to quite a few near-leopards (as much neck spots as I can get, as it were). So he'll do a couple things for my project, and perhaps offer a double check for yours as well.
Beguiling Prince

First off, to these two mares.
Golden Tears

Crimson Skies

So we'll see what there is to see.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Brilliant work, Totina. That is certainly something I also want the admins to say yea or nay on. I think I might need to experiment with those black bases... except going black is outside of my objectives for my leopard tarpans, I may just have to do so... as a side project.
Bay and brown are actually black based coats too, and that's why you can see the same pattern with all coat colours that are not chestnut. The fact that everything else on the black based horses seem to work fine, with a various amount of solid coloured patches on the body, while the border of the solid coloured head and the white body always look exactly the same seems to point to some kind of bug.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
Bay and brown are actually black based coats too, and that's why you can see the same pattern with all coat colours that are not chestnut. The fact that everything else on the black based horses seem to work fine, with a various amount of solid coloured patches on the body, while the border of the solid coloured head and the white body always look exactly the same seems to point to some kind of bug.
D'oh! I feel a bit stupid. Of course agouti is also black-based.
I'm attempting to finish the tarpans to be bay/wild bay with prominent dun stripings... but it certainly seems that danged extreme varnish has infiltrated almost my entire herd, making most of them that silver gray coloration or washed-out chestnut coloration by five years. Annoying.

At the very least, perhaps I'll get some black-colored foals. But I don't know how much of my herd has chestnut in it. Granted it's a recessive gene, but... hmm...
I wasn't going to bother with color-ing my herd until I've achieved my goal tarpans. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of my herd are chestnut and not bay, wild bay or even brown.

I suppose I have a lot of color work ahead of me.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:...
Which reminds me. I got this one out of that black belgian.

Crimson Prince

Something I did notice (other than not offering black), is that his off, rear leg is entirely covered in spots. It is something in my herd that's difficult to accomplish. So I'm leaning toward marking that area for belgian white passage.
The other mare has given me nothing but snowcap spots so far.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Which reminds me. I got this one out of that black belgian.

Crimson Prince

Something I did notice (other than not offering black), is that his off, rear leg is entirely covered in spots. It is something in my herd that's difficult to accomplish. So I'm leaning toward marking that area for belgian white passage.
The other mare has given me nothing but snowcap spots so far.
I am going to try out many different stallions from different breeds in market in hope of finding any genes that code for more white on the head for black based coats. If you need genes for that rear leg I think I have a few good stallions that I could put up for stud to help with that, like this colt when he grows older:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
I am going to try out many different stallions from different breeds in market in hope of finding any genes that code for more white on the head for black based coats. If you need genes for that rear leg I think I have a few good stallions that I could put up for stud to help with that, like this colt when he grows older:

I'm less looking for covering those difficult areas and more right now trying to define what those last couple breeds carry, concerning the appy genes.
I have most of them already done. Granted, I don't have all of them mapped perfectly, like which breeds will help cover which areas... but I do know that tarpans are problematic and really only allow blankets, snowcaps and extended blankets up to the withers. I also know that shetlands must carry the genes to spread over hips, legs and most of the body (not including the neck, and the flank area). I also discovered that caspians hold the key for the white spread and not the spot spread over a good deal of the barrel. Forest doesn't seem to really offer anything beyond offering the largest spots, so I think I'll have to get a second one and retest that breed. Belgian I'm working on right now... So that leaves what I know about the Prezewalski. My earlier uses of the Prezewalski only seemed to offer the smallest spots and perhaps a lessening of the density of those spots. I really couldn't find any other connections. But... now that I think about it, perhaps that breed is the reason I have the white patterns creeping up the neck and covering parts of the face.
I have not tested the arabian or the north african barb yet, and I have to go back to the turkmene. All I know about the turkmene is that it has the largest spreading of the snowflakes.

I think after I get all this down, I might have to start fresh from AC stock or at least find pure stock for sale from original AC breeds and see if I can breed into the full leopard, or near leopard much quicker.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Here's another outcome from that black draft stallion I picked up. Very similar to her sibling.

Spectral Princess
Alana
Visit My Farm

Post by Alana »

I am not much for staying on topic but I am a bit curious as to the Leopard pattern discussion in this thread
Become a Patron!