The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Breed Question

rustydavis
Visit My Farm

Breed Question

Post by rustydavis »

Hey guys! So I am wondering what the numbers in the brackets mean next to the horse's breed. For instance, Arabian [+2]. What does the +2 mean? Does it stand for anything significant?
I really want to know so that I can combine certain breeds to get another breed, for example, would a [+1] Quarter Horse bred with a [+3] Spanish Barb get me a Paint?
Does anyone know?
I want to know all about this topic. Thanks
Ricardo Ardo
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Breed Question

Post by Ricardo Ardo »

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it denotes generation. If you were to take two Arabians from the adoption center and bred them, the foal would be an Arabian +1.
The two horses that you mention may get you a Paint but you may need a few attempts. I've just aged to mares 15 years trying to get a Bashkir.
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

You're not wrong. The plus denotes the generations of pure breeding and a first- generation bred and a pure bred with many generations to its bloodline work the same for creating new breeds.

In the breed wiki, the horse with the most generations of pure breeding is the horse chosen for the picture.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
cassietaylor27
Visit My Farm

Post by cassietaylor27 »

Thank you Nate, so how does it work to create a new breed? Which horses combine with which to make a new breed?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

cassietaylor27 wrote:Thank you Nate, so how does it work to create a new breed? Which horses combine with which to make a new breed?
If you look into the Help section on the bar on the left hand side and access the Breeds Wiki, it offers all of our horse breeds that the game allows. When you choose one, it will highlight some specific information, including the horse breeds you need, in order to get the chance to create that breed.

As stated in the Extensive User Guide:

Creating A New Breed
As a s start - to create a new breed - you need to know a "recipe" how to get there. Some breeds might take a several generations of other breeds while other only 1 or 2. To check out breed recipe go to Breed Wiki and trace down ancestry of your breed.

It's very useful to buy breed evaluation book from Book Store, to evaluate your horse for breed you are going for next. You can do this by accessing your horse's profile and clicking on "Evaluation" tab. If you have a breed book it will be listed there and it will give you an idea of how good your horse body is for next breed. You can adjust your horse by breeding it with more suitable horses - you don't need to have purebred horse if recipe states for example only "Arabian". You can use Half Arabian or Part Arabian, but it can't be for example Half Arabian x Baladi.

It is also good to know that it doesn't matter if you cross Arabian Mare with North African Barb Stallion or Arabian Stallion with NAB Mare to get Baladi or needed crosses for other breeds. Results will be the same, but - sometimes it is better to have shorter stallion and taller mare to create new breed if there is very big size difference.

You can of course create completely new breed - but it won't be registered yet (this feature is coming in future) - or create your own version of breed such as mini Gypsy Vanners or Light horse type Shires.

Plus, you will find this information there:

Crossbreeding
To improve, adjust or just create your own style of breed you can cross your purebred, for example Shire, with other breeds. It is hard to keep all of the features of your wanted breed while first creating it - expecially things like feathers or fluffy manes. When you will have purebred Shire mare you can cross it with well-evaluated Belgian or Belgian mix with nice feathers to regain feathers for your breed. You will end up with mix like Shire x Belgian and you will need to further cross it back with Shire to get Part Shire x Belgian or Half Shire. It takes few generations to get back to purebred.
rustydavis
Visit My Farm

Post by rustydavis »

Okay I understand! Thank you everyone for all the help! :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm