Community Forum

Oddball Colt

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Oddball Colt

Post by Retsi »

Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.
He's blue roan, correct? Hopefully his foal coat doesn't change much :D

Genetics, gotta love the oddities!

SF Neptune
⋆ℜ⋆ Roaring River Equestrian ⋆ℜ⋆
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: Oddball Colt

Post by Raikit »

Retsi wrote:Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.

SF Neptune
He's a blue roan blanket underneath, but he's actually grey. His sire is also grey, but the owner just labelled it as high varnish. The horse is also varnish, but grey is what is causing him to be so entirely light all over. Eventually he will be all white and you won't be able to see his snowflakes.
Alana
Visit My Farm

Post by Alana »

I would not be so hasty on the grey, he might grey or he might not, but he is definitly black/blue roan blanket and will varnish with age
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Alana wrote:I would not be so hasty on the grey, he might grey or he might not, but he is definitly black/blue roan blanket and will varnish with age
Actually on HWO the foal coat is a very clear indicator of whether or not a horse will turn grey. Most horses are born with a foal coat that is different from their adult coat, but grey horses are born with an adult coat and turn grey as they get older. If this foal were just a regular blue roan and not a grey he would have been born this color (though this foal has no blanket or tiger eye):

And here is a true grulla versus a greying grulla. The second picture will take you to the horse so you can confirm where the baby picture came from:
GrullaGrey on Grulla
ImageImage

The grey horse was born with a coat you would expect to find on an adult horse rather than one you'd expect to find on a newborn. The same is true of all greys: grey on brown cream dun, grey on sooty smoky brown, grey on sable dun, grey on yellow dun are just are a few examples.

Edit: Oops, wrong link in the table the first time around. :?
Alana
Visit My Farm

Post by Alana »

Raikit wrote: Actually on HWO the foal coat is a very clear indicator of whether or not a horse will turn grey. Most horses are born with a foal coat that is different from their adult coat, but grey horses are born with an adult coat and turn grey as they get older.
I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Alana wrote: I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)
It's an odd quirk of the game that I find very handy. :) (And I apologize if I went a bit over-the-top - I do a lot of research into the colors here and when I start explaining something I seem to automatically go into lecture mode. :oops: )
Alana
Visit My Farm

Post by Alana »

Raikit wrote:
Alana wrote: I stand corrected, I had no idea about this so thank you for educating me :)
It's an odd quirk of the game that I find very handy. :) (And I apologize if I went a bit over-the-top - I do a lot of research into the colors here and when I start explaining something I seem to automatically go into lecture mode. :oops: )
I love lecture mode, means I get to learn something new :D and it is a very handy quirk indeed, never bred any greys myself so hence the lack of knowledge :P
Retsi
Visit My Farm

Post by Retsi »

Raikit wrote:.
Hmmm, look at my boy now! :lol: I think you were right.

SF Neptune
⋆ℜ⋆ Roaring River Equestrian ⋆ℜ⋆
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Retsi wrote:
Hmmm, look at my boy now! :lol: I think you were right.

SF Neptune
Yep, definitely got his grey goggles now. :)
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

Retsi wrote:Just had this blanket foal born but his sire, dam, and grands aren't blanket! :lol: he's so cute, I thought i'd share.

SF Neptune
Everybody else has covered his coat color so may I just say he is absolutely lovely :o
Stand up for what's right even if you're standing alone.
Become a Patron!