Community Forum

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
The foal does not have any pattern on my screen when I look at it. This is definitely a bug regarding the LP switch since the foal could not have inherited the LP switch from both parents. But now you know what pattern genes the horse is hiding.
This is the second unusual Lp expression bug I've had.
At least what I thought that it wasn't possible is in fact the correct response. I'll send this over to the bugs forum.

Thanks!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
The more I look at your foal the more I think what might have happened is that the renderer mistook her for a different horse at first (an issue I've had when not clearing my cache often enough). Her newborn picture looks like a flaxen red dun that would go grey. There's nothing baby-ish about the coat under her lp. Her older picture has more baby-ish aspects to it (the lighter legs, etc) but still looks red-based. But looking at her live picture she is clearly a wild silver zebra dun. It's very strange.

So it's possible that the original image is an indicator of what PATN she's hiding. If that's so, it's possible she has the genes necessary to get white on the nose of an agouti horse. It would be interesting if you crossed her with one of the non-red near-leopard studs to see if she could give that nose white.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
The more I look at your foal the more I think what might have happened is that the renderer mistook her for a different horse at first (an issue I've had when not clearing my cache often enough). Her newborn picture looks like a flaxen red dun that would go grey. There's nothing baby-ish about the coat under her lp. Her older picture has more baby-ish aspects to it (the lighter legs, etc) but still looks red-based. But looking at her live picture she is clearly a wild silver zebra dun. It's very strange.

So it's possible that the original image is an indicator of what PATN she's hiding. If that's so, it's possible she has the genes necessary to get white on the nose of an agouti horse. It would be interesting if you crossed her with one of the non-red near-leopard studs to see if she could give that nose white.
She really is such a weird outcome. She'll be hanging around regardless, plus I have her parents bred again to see what full-sibling might come out as.
She's still appearing as an Lp foal to me, but I hadn't thought about the cache, it hasn't been too long since last I emptied it (not that I have proven issues of cache being the problem). But I'll clear it out and see if that changes anything.

Edit: Well what do ya know...
The cache fixed it.

But I do wonder how or why I'm able to see it.
I could breed her once she's of age to see what she offers, for giggles, but she's not prime agouti-breeding stock. I'll forward this info into the bugs so they're aware of the outcome and perhaps can figure out what exactly happened.

Second Edit:
Full sibling came out as she was supposed to, no patterning.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: But I do wonder how or why I'm able to see it.
I could breed her once she's of age to see what she offers, for giggles, but she's not prime agouti-breeding stock. I'll forward this info into the bugs so they're aware of the outcome and perhaps can figure out what exactly happened.
I have a similar (but not anywhere close to the same) issue happen with my cache where the little horse-head images next to where it says Sell Horse, Breed Horse, and Rehome Horse all suddenly pop up as a miniaturized image of one of my horses. I've also had a horse that I know loaded correctly when I saved their photo show up as a plain chestnut in the saved photo, even after cache clear (I believe she still does that. I'll have to see if I can find her.). So cache can do some weird things on this game. XD

And hey, you never know what she'll throw until she throws it, right? :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: But I do wonder how or why I'm able to see it.
I have a similar (but not anywhere close to the same) issue happen with my cache where the little horse-head images next to where it says Sell Horse, Breed Horse, and Rehome Horse all suddenly pop up as a miniaturized image of one of my horses. I've also had a horse that I know loaded correctly when I saved their photo show up as a plain chestnut in the saved photo, even after cache clear (I believe she still does that. I'll have to see if I can find her.). So cache can do some weird things on this game. XD

This game does do some weird things with the caches. Some weirdly, uniquely, interesting things! That we can save to permanent image capture. That is one of the most unique things of this game. Most times, a screen capture is the only real way to offer up what's seen for others to view, so it's a very nice change when we can just load the image and it appears as we see it (and not the way the game's server sees it).

I'll cross both fillies over into my Lp project, see what happens. Of course it still gets me no closer, or us, to where that danged agouti extension comes from. I have so much blood in that low GP project, it'd be impossible to track down, especially since none of them show it.

If you can find that mare, put her into the favorite pictures post I have up. These glitch images may one day become a 'glitch of the past', and it still makes some great pictures.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:

So I tried crossing her with a couple different full-chestnut patterns (nearly full, up over the face).

She gave me very little patterning on the foals she threw.

Then I crossed her with a bay stud.

And got much better coverage. However, still nowhere beyond the chest, let alone climbing beyond the shoulder.

That said, if you're interested in absorbing him into your program for further examination, let me know and I'll put him up for you. He is a bay or wild bay, probably carries both agouti genes and maybe a double black underneath. I think he has a decently good chance of that. He does not have a position in my projects, so if you have no interest in seeing what he might offer your program, he's up for the chopping block.
I have to yet breed his dam's full sister to see if she offers anything different.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I'd be interested in trying her with one of my black studs if that's alright with you. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I'd be interested in trying her with one of my black studs if that's alright with you. :)
The colt's mother, sister, both perhaps? Or did you mean the colt and call him a her?
I'd be willing to send either over to you for trials after I get what I want from them. If they survive after you get what you want, I'd like them back. If they die before hand, then so be it. There is a slim chance I may need them afterward.

If you want the colt, I have no use of him. But I'm assuming you want his mother.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1019589

Her full-blooded sister:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1022499
Now her sister, I got the foal I want for my project already from her. She's crossed into the patterns to see what she offers. So if you want her 'now'... she can be transferred to you immediately. In fact, I'll put her up.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
It seems her sister may be a better bet.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1022499
She just had a decently good coverage from a chestnut stud.

Either or, or both if you want. I'm still working on the primary mare, she hasn't given me what I want in my program yet.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:...
Take your pick. Both mares are up. Take them both if you want to try them both. If you want one or both of the offspring, you'll need to let me know.
I'm at my sales limit. ;)

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1019589
Become a Patron!