The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Gene Confusion

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
sofiacb
Visit My Farm

Gene Confusion

Post by sofiacb »

Hi!

I'm confused about my filly Jolly A Tsunami

Maybe I'm making a mistake but I classified her coat as Palomino Roan but neither of her parents are Roan (and, according to the posts I read, that gene is dominant). Does the stallion have it, but because he is cremello, it isn't visible or did I just make a mistake classifying the filly's coat?

Thank you in advance for your help :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Gene Confusion

Post by BlackOak2 »

sofiacb wrote:Hi!

I'm confused about my filly

Maybe I'm making a mistake but I classified her coat as Palomino Roan but neither of her parents are Roan (and, according to the posts I read, that gene is dominant). Does the stallion have it, but because he is cremello, it isn't visible or did I just make a mistake classifying the filly's coat?

Thank you in advance for your help :D
You're correct that she's a palomino roan. You're also correct that she inherited that roan from her father. I can see that he carries pangare as well (there's a white nose around the pink skin). If you look at his cheek, you'll notice that it looks a little whiter than most of his face, it is from the roan gene. It's difficult sometimes to tell what a horse carries until they produce offspring. There's a good chance I would have not seen the roan the first time either.
sofiacb
Visit My Farm

Post by sofiacb »

Thank you for your help! It can be really confusing sometimes...
sofiacb
Visit My Farm

Post by sofiacb »

Also, I've noticed that different horses have different shaped manes. Is there a guide for them as well?
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Post by Fox13 »

sofiacb wrote:Also, I've noticed that different horses have different shaped manes. Is there a guide for them as well?
There is no guide.
There is very short manes (the tails will match the length)
Medium Manes
Long Manes

Then along with mane length, there can be regular manes or thick manes (often called pony manes).

Lastly the mane (short, medium or long) can also stand straight up in a mohawk fashion. These manes are often referred to as mohawks, standing, upright or even Prze-manes (from the AC breed they come from). These mohawk manes are not roached or hogged manes (roached manes are cut or razored off and grow in for awhile standing upright). Roaching or hogging is not yet an option on the game.
sofiacb
Visit My Farm

Post by sofiacb »

Fox13 wrote:
sofiacb wrote:Also, I've noticed that different horses have different shaped manes. Is there a guide for them as well?
There is no guide.
Medium Manes
Long Manes

Then along with mane length, there can be regular manes or thick manes (often called pony manes).

Lastly the mane (short, medium or long) can also stand straight up in a mohawk fashion. These manes are often referred to as mohawks, standing, upright or even Prze-manes (from the AC breed they come from). These mohawk manes are not roached or hogged manes (roached manes are cut or razored off and grow in for awhile standing upright). Roaching or hogging is not yet an option on the game.
So there is no way of predicting what kind of mane the foal will have?
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

sofiacb wrote:
Fox13 wrote:
There is no guide.
Medium Manes
Long Manes

So there is no way of predicting what kind of mane the foal will have?
There is. You have to breed for it. The Mohawk is recessive to the flat type. I'd call length incomplete dominant and use the made up L as an example.

L/L -> long
L/l -> medium
l/l -> short
sofiacb
Visit My Farm

Post by sofiacb »

And between the thick and the regular ones, I'm guessing the thick one is recessive?
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

sofiacb wrote:And between the thick and the regular ones, I'm guessing the thick one is recessive?
I'm not 100 percent on how thickness works because I've never paid attention to that trait in my horses.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

sofiacb wrote:And between the thick and the regular ones, I'm guessing the thick one is recessive?
I believe the consensus up to this point has been that the pony mane is dominant. It certainly is a bit harder to breed out of my herd... but then again, I have that same problem with chestnut and long manes, both of these are recessive traits.

I didn't know mohawks were likely recessive, but it makes sense.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am