The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

(A comment on) Mealy / Pangare Palomino

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

(A comment on) Mealy / Pangare Palomino

Post by Zalarisa »

I have two palominos who appear to display either mealy/pangare or a really really weird grey.

❀oak♘ Cream (Age ~9 years)

Cream as a newborn foal
❀oak♘ Sand (Age ~7 years)

Sand as a newborn foal

Neither of these two have gotten lighter or had their "grey goggles" (that they were born with) grow.
Here's a much younger palomino who is greying. (Who was born looking like the other two when they were born.)

❀oak♘ Peachey (Age ~2 years)

Peachey as a newborn foal

❀oak♞ Pale Sunrise (Age ~1.5 years)

❀oak♞ Sireami (Age ~4 months)

❀oak♞ Topaz (Age ~5 months)

❀oak♞ Sunrise Shade (Age newborn)

(To those of you reading this in the future wondering "Newborn? She's white and 22 years old!", click on the horse's pictures [or the blue, underlined names] and look at their older pictures.)
Last edited by Zalarisa on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Mealy / Pangare Palomino ?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zalarisa wrote:I have two palominos who appear to display either mealy/pangare or a really really weird grey.

Neither of these two have gotten lighter or had their "grey goggles" (that they were born with) grow.
Here's a much younger palomino who is greying. (Who was born looking like the other two when they were born.)
I agree with you, they both have pangare.
In fact, it certainly appears Peachey also has pangare, but she's also graying. I'd even peg her with flaxen.
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

Post by Zalarisa »

Flaxen palomino? Then her mane is practically glowing! :lol:

Have you encountered this before? I can't seem to find anyone mentioning a mealy / pangare palomino.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zalarisa wrote:Flaxen palomino? Then her mane is practically glowing! :lol:

Have you encountered this before? I can't seem to find anyone mentioning a mealy / pangare palomino.
I encounter it often enough. But I don't work with creams regularly, actually, I try to avoid them because I want to keep them out of my bloodlines.

I'm not sure about people 'not' mentioning it... but that may just be because it's relatively obvious once pangare and palomino is recognized. Then again, it could just be that pangare is so gently expressed on a lot of the palominos that it's just overlooked.

It can also be confused with dun in some cases or when paired with dun on a palomino, it's too difficult to tell that it's anything than just a 'straight' palomino.
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

Re: (A comment on) Mealy / Pangare Palomino

Post by Zalarisa »

Why are you trying to keep creams out of your bloodlines?

Well, at least I couldn't find any by searching the forums...

Ah, yeah, sometimes things can be quite hard to see on the horses.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zalarisa wrote:Why are you trying to keep creams out of your bloodlines?

Well, at least I couldn't find any by searching the forums...

Ah, yeah, sometimes things can be quite hard to see on the horses.
Double cream makes it that much more difficult to tell which base color you have. My leopard tarpan project should be only bay duns with pseudo or full leopards. Adding cream into the mixture gives me off-colors and inhibits my ability to determine which color it is. Considering much of my production is almost all white coverage, even figuring out that it's a red foal instead of a bay or brown foal can be difficult (manes and tails are the tell-tale differences, but if they're all white, then what is it?).

My low GP project I want to make silver grullo dapples with double pearl. Adding cream into the mixture creates different colored coats and offers blue eyes when doubled which I just don't want.

Many of my other projects (of which they are dwindling rapidly), I'm producing genetically clean horses to help define genetically muddled horses or to make it easier to add the clean genes into other lines. What I mean is: for instance, if my project was to produce stand-up manes for people to breed them into their lines, I'd breed straight double black horses with no dun, pangare, cream, champagne, roan, pearl, silver... and so on. So that when people would use them, they'd be guaranteed to only pass on the upright mane and a single black gene. It wouldn't add pangare to their line, or dun to their line if they don't want these genes.

But that's why goals are so important, they help to keep you on track. If you want to breed pangare palomino drafts, then you may find you're quickly producing blue-eyed cremellos, because you'd receive a 25% of every set of palomino parents to throw a cremello foal, which then means every cremello would throw another cremello when paired with a palomino.

Cream genes are fine, they're nice. But so is champagne... so is roan... so is tiger eye. I've just chosen to not work with them and to keep them out of my lines. At least for now. In the future, when I've finished the goals I have now, things are liable to change.

By the way, golden-colored pangare drafts do make for some nice looking horses. :D
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

Post by Zalarisa »

You're such a wonderful & helpful fountain of information! :D

Thanks for letting me know why you're avoiding it. I didn't know that cream was so... potent.
(Between my [stubborn] mealy and the potent properties of cream it is little wonder why foals keep ending up golden with a hint of pangare!)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zalarisa wrote:You're such a wonderful & helpful fountain of information! :D

Thanks for letting me know why you're avoiding it. I didn't know that cream was so... potent.
(Between my [stubborn] mealy and the potent properties of cream it is little wonder why foals keep ending up golden with a hint of pangare!)
:D

Pangare is just as stubborn for me as well. I've been attempting to breed it out of my leopard tarpans, but every time I think it's gone, I have on pop up that reveals it again. Turns out I've been breeding IN a very gentle expression of pangare...
D'oh!

For instance, this one:

Came from these two:

(I offered images of their yearling pics because that's really the only time for unmarred leopard coats, before varnish begins to change them)

I've almost given up trying to breed it out. It may eventually go away as I breed back to purebred, but I don't know at this point.
Zalarisa
Visit My Farm

Post by Zalarisa »

Yikes! Well, I hope you manage to either succeed or breed an invisible version!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zalarisa wrote:Yikes! Well, I hope you manage to either succeed or breed an invisible version!
:D
Thank You
And Good luck to you too!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 am