The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

~DWM~ Horse Training Guide

Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Re: ~DWM~ Horse Training Guide

Post by Phalaenopsis »

Nevermind! Was looking at the wrong section! xD
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Phalaenopsis wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Yes, you will want to change to training stamina first. This will do the most, to cut down on your training.

Her basic, bare-bottom scores that you have already recorded in hosted competitions aren't bad. They're not good, but they're not bad, for everything she is. :)

She already has about what she needs to look like for western pleasure. For future generations, you'll want to move her build toward medium, flatten out her croup (hip area), lengthen her back a little and beef up those legs a little more. So... more like what a stock horse or a stock quarter would look like. :P

As for working toward the cracker horse... it'll be a bit of an uphill journey from her. But not impossible.
And, you'll probably want to get toward the cracker before conforming (breeding toward) western pleasure. Some of the breeds you'll need to breed through to get to the cracker will require you to breed for something (body form) that's further from your western pleasure body style.

She's a good one to learn how to train a horse with, but won't give you anything toward hosted competitions. What I mean, is, she won't be a competition horse, but will be an adequate grinder horse... and a breeder toward the cracker.

Unless... you're using her to develop your western pleasure horse first, and then creating a cracker line separate, then breeding the two together. Either option is a viable option. :D And either option works just as well here on this game. 8-)

I have my quicklinks below that covers a lot more than what I offered here, so if you're one that likes to cruise through the guides yourself, you'll find everything you need, already linked. However, if you like a little more one-on-one contact, get yourself a new topic in the Questions and Answers section of our help guides area and somebody (or multiple somebodies) of our community will answer back.

Welcome to the game!
:mrgreen:
Thank you so much! I currently have a Spreadsheet going with what crosses I need to do to get to the FC, and includes their temperament, body type and weight. I can't yet post a new topic in the Q&A section, as I definitely want the one-on-one help. I also don't want to hijack a post for my own questions lol. How long will I need to wait to be able to post in the Q&A section?
You are not limited where you can post in the forums, even with just signing up.
You had a 5 post approval process before you can post freely (freely = post appearing immediately); you don't have that now (you have 8 as I'm replying to you).

So if you can't post into the Q&A section of our help, you might need to update your browser. Or maybe look again. :D
Just in case, here's a visual guide of where you should be looking:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30245

It's the same across all of our forums.

If that button doesn't appear for you and your browser is already up-to-date, then you'll need to post into the bugs forum... uh... Use my Farm Log and I'll post it for you in the bugs forum, if you can't see that button either. :P

And... many of us use spreadsheets to keep track of things around here. So your notes aren't going anywhere. :mrgreen:
Welcome to that bandwagon as well. 8-)

Edit... AND... I just saw your nevermind post. :roll: :lol:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Sypherthrax
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sypherthrax »

BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
Should we be waiting until fatigue drops back to zero percent to continue the next day of training? Or just proceeding with training until fatigue reaches a certain percentage threshold?

I feel like this has probably been answered implicitly in all of the guides but apparently I need it more directly spelled out :oops:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Sypherthrax wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
Should we be waiting until fatigue drops back to zero percent to continue the next day of training? Or just proceeding with training until fatigue reaches a certain percentage threshold?

I feel like this has probably been answered implicitly in all of the guides but apparently I need it more directly spelled out :oops:
:D That's fine! If it's not understood one way, we'll try again until everybody understands. ;)

Fatigue can be worked with again when the horse is under 20%. You can also manually lower fatigue by choosing a really easy exercise (lunging on flat usually works). When combined with overnight resting, you'll be able to drop fatigue at a faster rate.

If I do something different and use something, for instance, like pulling a tire on 30 minutes while galloping... or another exhaustive combination like that, I'll switch it over to lunge on flat and finish out whatever energy that horse has for that day. You can actually cut fatigue in half (give or take) and then the overnight cuts it down further (I don't exactly recall by how much, something between 5 and 10% cut overnight). So you may only need one 'resting' turn (combined with easy work), before the horse can get back into regular training.

If you use the basic training guide, you shouldn't have your fatigue explode beyond 20%. But with experimenting, it can. :D

Every turn, the horse will build a certain level of fatigue. Overnight the horse's fatigue will drop a number of ticks. No need to wait until 0% to restart training. As long as the horse's fatigue is under 20%, your horse will still be learning under training. Most training guides will keep the horse's fatigue levels well under 20% throughout training and thereby maximize training thresholds to meet training goals within the ability of the account (between 5 and 7 years without skill training, about 4 years with half skills learned and under 3 years with all skills learned).

Is that any clearer? :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Sypherthrax
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sypherthrax »

BlackOak2 wrote: Ping
Yes this is exactly what I needed, crystal clear :mrgreen: Thank you so much!
brettdiesel
Visit My Farm

Post by brettdiesel »

Kayaine wrote:By popular request, my thoughts, opinions, and training method. Otherwise known as, How to train your horse before age 3!

* Please note that the number of years it takes to train your horse will somewhat depend on both your training style and the number of player courses you have completed.

This guide is under construction and will be updated in parts and pieces as I train a test horse over the next day or two. :D Note: I'm in the middle of moving at the moment, so it may not look super pretty or readable until I get finished with that.
Quick Start Training Courses
* The fastest way to take down the number of years it takes to complete horse training is to focus on a few key training course areas.
In what I feel to be the order of importance:
1. Energy Saver Courses:
The less energy your horse uses per turn, the more it will be able to train once its stamina is sufficiently high. When you've completed all the energy saver courses, a horse with max stamina will take only 5% energy to complete most techniques. That's a maximum of 20 thirty minute sessions of whatever per turn!

2. Stamina Training Courses:
One thing that determines how much energy a particular action will take is Stamina! In the beginning, your horse may only be able to do 10-20 minutes at a Walk in the Arena while Longing on the Flat. But if you keep at it, eventually, your horse will be able to do practically anything! And the stamina training courses will allow your stamina to go up even faster!

3. Training Techniques/Advanced Training:
These are the courses that affect all stats a little bit . The reason these are more important than any other other courses that you can do is that once you've finished the energy saver and stamina courses, these are the only other courses you can do that will continue to affect stamina! So you'll hit max stamina even faster still, and maxing stamina means minimizing energy!

4. Fast Courses Not Already Completed:
When I say fast courses, I mean any course that will take you under an hour . You may have already done some of these or you may not have. Just take an afternoon and set a course while you're making dinner or something, note the time, and come back and start another one as soon as it is finished. Just make sure if you're going to bed to start a really long course, so you're not wasting time.

5. Movement Courses:
With the way I train horses, and subsequently the training method listed, movement is the stat that ends up being the hardest to train after stamina. Hence, movement courses!

6. All Other Courses:
After everything listed has been completed, you can choose what you want to focus on. It may be a specific discipline's stats or it may be something that takes you longer than others to train. I usually just picked a couple and completed all the shorter ones, 6 hours or less during the day, and left everything else to work overnight or while I went to work/school.
Thank u this is what i needed
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 am