The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Breeds Wiki (Work in progress)

Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Breeds Wiki (Work in progress)

Post by Totina »

Sawd10 wrote:
Totina wrote:Read above message from AHorseandPonyLover.
Hello.
Great work so far! I was extremely interested in this the day you sent it out. I looked through each and every breed and read every single thing about each. I am extremely excited to see it finished! If you need help, I'm up for it. :mrgreen:
Feel free to do some research on any of the remaining breeds and send the information here and I will add it when I manage to finish the pictures of the breeds.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Totina wrote:
Sawd10 wrote: Hello.
Great work so far! I was extremely interested in this the day you sent it out. I looked through each and every breed and read every single thing about each. I am extremely excited to see it finished! If you need help, I'm up for it. :mrgreen:
Feel free to do some research on any of the remaining breeds and send the information here and I will add it when I manage to finish the pictures of the breeds.
Will do.
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

All the ancient breeds are now done and I will start going through the list of breeds created from those foundation breeds. I must say the North African Barb was a bit of a struggle to find information about, so many sources saying different things but I tried to put the pieces together looking at various historical records.

If anyone is well read about the history of any of the breeds and see that something is off in the descriptions or images don't hesitate to let me know and I will do adjustments.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Considering how far back it goes and with so little actual written history to cover it, I think the history on the barb is adequate.
When I was trying to trace the origins of the roman chariot horses, I went back as far as the barb and that sounds like about what I came across as well. A kind of ambiguous and smashed together history of a 'horse that carried people around and was useful'.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
StellaSim
Visit My Farm

Post by StellaSim »

Totina wrote:...
I've got some info on the Andravida, if you would like :)

Also called the Eleia Horse is found (I'm pretty sure exclusively) in the region of Ilia in Greece. They are believed to trace their linage back to the calvary war horses of ancient Greece (mainly from Athens), but the modern breed standard goes back to 1920 when they crossed Anglo-Normans and Nonius together and with the local horse breeds in the area. Its stud book was only established in 1995 and is close to extinction in real life. One stallion in 1990 basically saved the breed from certain extinction, but the numbers are still low.

Its a light draft breed with a strong but willing temperament and 14-16 hands tall. This is the breed description from wikipedia:

"The members of the breed are predominantly brown, bay, chestnut, red roan, black and occasionally grey, though, this tends to be a rare phenomenon. The head is rectangular in shape - quite unremarkable and plain with long ears and a straight profile. The chest is broad and heavy-set with thick muscles; the back is slightly dipped; the shoulders should be well-sloped and the croup only gently so. The horse's legs should be free of excess hair, very strong and thick with good bone."

Pictures are kind of hard to find. Some individuals were crossed with Arabian blood at some point to create a lighter, sportier type.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Exmoor Pony has now been added but I'm still not sure if I should count it as a wild breed (since there has always been wild or semi-wild herds of Exmoor Ponies) or as a pony breed since a majority of the population today are domesticated.

I would like to know what you think about this as the same goes for other breeds like the Mustang that are roaming wild but also are domesticated to a great extent.

I also apologize for not updating this faster but I have been focused on my studies at the univerity and will only be able to do work here when I have some free time to spare.
Malakai20
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai20 »

Totina wrote:Exmoor Pony has now been added but I'm still not sure if I should count it as a wild breed (since there has always been wild or semi-wild herds of Exmoor Ponies) or as a pony breed since a majority of the population today are domesticated.

I would like to know what you think about this as the same goes for other breeds like the Mustang that are roaming wild but also are domesticated to a great extent.

I also apologize for not updating this faster but I have been focused on my studies at the univerity and will only be able to do work here when I have some free time to spare.
Malakai10 wrote:.
The three breeds that should count as a wild are the Przewalski's horse, Tarpan and Forest Horse. Any other 'wild' breed is actually feral - technically, the wild 'breeds' I mentioned are actually different species.

I can also give you information on the Boerperd - I actually collected and compiled it a while ago when I started breeding them so I'll get it for you in a minute. Do you want me to post the information here or PM you?
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Malakai20 wrote:
Totina wrote:Exmoor Pony has now been added but I'm still not sure if I should count it as a wild breed (since there has always been wild or semi-wild herds of Exmoor Ponies) or as a pony breed since a majority of the population today are domesticated.

The three breeds that should count as a wild are the Przewalski's horse, Tarpan and Forest Horse. Any other 'wild' breed is actually feral - technically, the wild 'breeds' I mentioned are actually different species.

I can also give you information on the Boerperd - I actually collected and compiled it a while ago when I started breeding them so I'll get it for you in a minute. Do you want me to post the information here or PM you?
Origin - South Africa
Extinct - No
Height - Stallions: 14,2hh (147.32cm) or higher, Mares: 13,3hh (139.70cm) or higher
Common
use - Used in most types of competition, except for flat racing, sprint racing, harness racing, in-hand jumping and log pull. Also used for agriculture and commonly an endurance horse or a children's horse.
Common
colours - Black, bay, wild bay, seal brown, chestnut, grey, dun, cream (double cream is not part of the breed standard), roan and sooty (including dapple)
Creation Cape Horse x
[ Hackney x Thoroughbred ]
Type - light horse breed
Description - balanced appearance and hardy. Intelligent, reliable, calm and alert. High carriage, not all horses display additional gaits and are classified as either 3-gaited (walk, canter, gallop) or 5-gaited (walk, canter, gallop, short gait, triple.) Ambling is not uncommon. Horses are also classified into traditional (higher movement) or universal (lower movement). Straight face, medium ears, large eyes, deep, clearly defined jaw, large nostrils, prominent chin. Medium neck, at angle from top - smoothly couple into shoulders, bent crest on stallions and mares (more feminine), neck longer on top than bottom. Deep shoulder at 'acceptable' (~43*) angle, well muscled, prominent withers, uphill. Deep chest, strong, well-muscled legs. Short back - mares may be significantly longer in back than stallions. Ribs and flanks are deep. Long, rounded croup,
History - Created in South Africa, the Boerperd's lineage can be traced to shortly after the landing of Jan van Riebeeck in Table Bay in 1652. The Boerperd was developed from Cape Horses. From 1836 - 1899, the phenotype and genotype of the Boerperd was fixed as Flemish stallion, Hackneys, Norfolk Trotters and Cleveland Bays were added to the genepool. Boerperd were refined during the Second Anglo-Boer War, by the end of the war, only the hardiest and those deliberately hidden away by their owners in remote areas beyond the reach of the British, remained. After the war, a formal movement to conserve the Boerperd started.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Malakai20 wrote:

You are correct but the reason I struggle with this decision is in the current breeds wiki where Kaimanawa is presented as a wild horse breed. It is surely not a wild breed in the same terms as Forest Horse, Tarpan and Przewalski but it's a feral horse in the same way as Mustangs and other "wild" breeds of today.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Totina wrote:
Malakai20 wrote:

You are correct but the reason I struggle with this decision is in the current breeds wiki where Kaimanawa is presented as a wild horse breed. It is surely not a wild breed in the same terms as Forest Horse, Tarpan and Przewalski but it's a feral horse in the same way as Mustangs and other "wild" breeds of today.
True, but the current breeds wiki has also listed many pony and draught breeds as light horse breeds so *shrugs* it's almost a bit pedantic, perhaps - maybe a new category for feral horses should be added?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 pm