The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Colours + Aging

AfricaGirl
Visit My Farm

Colours + Aging

Post by AfricaGirl »

at what age does a horse have it's colour? As in when do they stop changing?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Colours + Aging

Post by BlackOak2 »

AfricaGirl wrote:at what age does a horse have it's colour? As in when do they stop changing?

:)
Before I begin, next time, please double check what forum you're posting in. You're currently in the guides and how to section of our forum instead of the questions section or the color section.

Anyway, the answer to your question isn't a flat answer.
First, a horse maintains it's foal coat until it's 1 year birthday. At this time, it finishes blowing it's foal coat and has an adult coat. With an exception of gray horses, which are born with their adult coats already.
Second, there are a plethora of genes that are included for our colors and many of these genes are not static, meaning that there are a number of these genes that will continue to change the horse throughout it's lifetime, for a good deal of it's lifetime or for a set term of it's lifetime.
Of these, sooty, leopard varnish, leopard bronzing and the gray gene are the most prominent. There are a handful of other genes that also will change a bit as the horse ages.

All that said, most of us suggest having two images saved to the horse's gallery, a newborn pic and a yearling pic. These two are the most important for determining a horse's color and the two that can determine... essentially... all the colors a horse has, with only a couple exceptions. Pearl, for instance.

Anything more? :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm