The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

How to sell your horse efficiently and effectively

Saffron Stables
Visit My Farm

Re: How to sell your horse efficiently and effectively

Post by Saffron Stables »

I have waited for a week:(
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: How to sell your horse efficiently and effectively

Post by BlackOak2 »

Saffron Stables wrote:I have waited for a week:(
Interest and use of a horse or a particular breed will come and go. A horse with a particular body style, conformation and of a particular breed could sell for one day for hundreds of thousands, and the very next, not be of any interest at all, selling for no more than $1 (free).
So, if you can wait (a freezing account in this instance is quite helpful), then do so, apply the horse for wait you figure it is worth (remembering to include your work in it, and not overvaluing your own work as well), and leave it up until it sells.
OR... if you can't wait, then you can reduce the price, sell it to a flipper (a person that can wait), find somebody that will consign it for you (put it up on a freeze account and take a portion of the sale price), or use it yourself, age it out or rehome it.

I understand this is not likely what you want to hear and it's disappointing. There are a few different ways to help the sale along, post a sales ad in the sales forum, including everything you can think of that might help to sell the horse, and don't forget to include what separates your horse from others. Also, sprucing up your sale posting itself can help a bit. By applying a 'need gone' in the title and just the BR really doesn't separate your horse from the rest. Offer some information on the pedigree, if there is some interest there (like the grandsire had a WPS of 79% in a competition, or that a full sibling sired an RH foal) or something about the offspring, if something unusual happened (like, this horse I figured was a double cream, but it threw a plain with a plain, so it's in fact a cream and pearl) or a competition score that surprised you.
This extra information draws the eye and the mind, to encourage people to investigate and by investigating, interest can be peaked and thus a sale is more likely to happen.

However, if you have done all of this and the horse still hasn't sold... it just means that the possible purchasers just aren't looking right now. So... that means the first suggestions are again the one's that I'd send you back to.

As another and last side-note, I've been known to purchase horses that have been left at sale for a number of real years. Not to clear out the sales, but because my need didn't arise until years later. So, sometimes it does take time to sell particular horses. I usually just age out, if interest hasn't taken the horse before they go, then I'm not saving a spot for such horses. There will always be others of like quality and color.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm