The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Odd Chestnut, or something else?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Odd Chestnut, or something else?

Post by prplebird20 »

Hi, I have just picked up this new mare, and she is the BRIGHTEST shade of chestnut I have ever seen! Also, she has darker legs, with no lightning at the cornets (is that in the game?) https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3085737
Thank you!
Last edited by prplebird20 on Wed May 26, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Odd Chestnut, or something else?

Post by KingstonDressage »

prplebird20 wrote:Hi, I have just picked up this new mare, and she is the BRIGHTEST shade of chestnut I have ever seen! Also, she has darker legs, with no lightning at the cornets (is that in the game?) [horse=Tale Owl Hed[/horse] Thank you!
Your link doesn't work!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tale Owl Hed appears to be a chestnut with no modifying genes at all.

There is a tad bit of general shading given to these horses to represent shadows. So that our horses don't look two-dimensional. However, this horse could also have a touch of sooty thrown in, the style that's defined as 'from the bottom, up', much like how pangare acts.

I don't understand your phrase:
with no lightning at the cornets (is that in the game?)
Are you asking, 'Is there solid legged horses?' Yes, those not affected by tobiano can have solid legs.
Or maybe, 'I'm used to dun.' Yes, dun can be absent from the horses.
Or, what I think you might be asking, 'Is this possibly a glitch, this shaded coloration?' Nope, not a glitch. Some horses do appear like this. Chestnuts offer a more dramatic view because of their red and their lighter coloration. And if there's sooty involved, it'll get much more dramatic. :mrgreen:

Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

BlackOak2 wrote: I don't understand your phrase:
with no lightning at the cornets (is that in the game?)
Are you asking, 'Is there solid legged horses?' Yes, those not affected by tobiano can have solid legs.
Or maybe, 'I'm used to dun.' Yes, dun can be absent from the horses.
Or, what I think you might be asking, 'Is this possibly a glitch, this shaded coloration?' Nope, not a glitch. Some horses do appear like this. Chestnuts offer a more dramatic view because of their red and their lighter coloration. And if there's sooty involved, it'll get much more dramatic. :mrgreen:

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but I noticed that her colt had the same odd dark legs, see: Goldshimmer

Any idea if he inherited the dark legs, or what color he is?
Also, by "lightning at the cornets" I meant that a lot of chestnuts have lighter coloring just before their hooves, like extra-minimal panagre. I can't seem to put a picture here, but there are a few good pictures on google that show this.
Thanks!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

prplebird20 wrote:
Hi, sorry for the late reply, but I noticed that her colt had the same odd dark legs, see:
Any idea if he inherited the dark legs, or what color he is?
Also, by "lightning at the cornets" I meant that a lot of chestnuts have lighter coloring just before their hooves, like extra-minimal panagre. I can't seem to put a picture here, but there are a few good pictures on google that show this.
Thanks!
I think, what you're seeing, is actually the artistic rendition of actual light. Like a light bulb highlighting the lower legs.

Gold champagne. That's the champagne gene paired with a chestnut horse. There is a very slim possibility that you have some pangare going on, but I'm still leaning on the side of artistic shading and lighting. However, our monitors will display these horses slightly differently for each of us. One person may see a really black horse while another will see slight shading on a black, but not-quite-black horse. :D

If you're definitely convinced you see a shading difference that you believe it is NOT artistic, then see if you can bring it out through breeding. Highlighting certain genes to extreme cases is how we were able to define the 'plume' gene we have.
But that is entire up to you to decide.

Oh, and if you can find some of those cornet light chestnuts, take a look at their manes and tails too, you might be looking at the flaxen gene. Flaxen can, but won't always, bleach those legs too. It can be short, or long, very gentle or very strong. I have an example in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28115
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

Thanks!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 am