The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What on earth is this thing

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

What on earth is this thing

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

I'm very confused. She doesn't have pearl, and I have no idea what could have caused this color.
RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Re: What on earth is this thing

Post by RosesDemise »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:

I'm very confused. She doesn't have pearl, and I have no idea what could have caused this color.
That looks like a light shade of buckskin ^^
She would of gotten this from the studs side as he also has a light body with dark points
¨One's Demise shall not be bestowed onto their horse's Fate¨
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

RosesDemise wrote:

That looks like a light shade of buckskin ^^
She would of gotten this from the studs side as he also has a light body with dark points
I suppose that makes sense- though I thought the lightness was solely due to pangare and that I'd bred out the cream in his case
RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Post by RosesDemise »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote: I suppose that makes sense- though I thought the lightness was solely due to pangare and that I'd bred out the cream in his case
Pangare typically runs around the horse's belly and lower, with it being around the eyes and muzzle, it wouldn't take over the whole coat, also, there is still cream in the line and breeding with the bay brood would definitely throw a buckskin.
Here is a good representation of a horse having pangare, as well Ac Belgians have a good rep of pangare.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

RosesDemise wrote:
Cypress Creek Elites wrote: I suppose that makes sense- though I thought the lightness was solely due to pangare and that I'd bred out the cream in his case
Pangare typically runs around the horse's belly and lower, with it being around the eyes and muzzle, it wouldn't take over the whole coat,
Image Here is a good representation of a horse having pangare, as well Ac Belgians have a good rep of pangare.
That is certainly the case for horses IRL, but I have some very extreme versions of pangare in my grinders that take up most of the coat (at least, I've been told that it's pangare), tracing at least as far back as her, who has a bay base coat.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

I have also had cream in some very very distant ancestors, but their coats were much more yellow in hue than her sire's.
RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Post by RosesDemise »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote: That is certainly the case for horses IRL, but I have some very extreme versions of pangare in my grinders that take up most of the coat (at least, I've been told that it's pangare), tracing at least as far back as her, who has a bay base coat.
Even So, that horse still looks like the pangare reaches the whole face, a bit above the deltoid muscle, No farther than mid rib, and areas around the flank.
Not saying it isnt an extreme case, as it is, but its not the whole body

Also going back to the horse in question, they have a dark belly, which I don't belive would be mistaken for pangare
Last edited by RosesDemise on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

RosesDemise wrote:...
My point is that these guys don't have cream. Something else is causing her coat to look the way it is. I'm not sure what, which is why I'm asking :lol:
RosesDemise
Visit My Farm

Post by RosesDemise »

RosesDemise wrote:...
My point is that these guys don't have cream. Something else is causing her coat to look the way it is. I'm not sure what, which is why I'm asking :lol:
Sorry, I'm just giving what I know about horse coat dilutions and markings ^^
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

It appears, you're still dealing with cream. The reason these aren't the usual 'yellow' coats of cream, is because you're also dealing with 'whole-body' pangare as well. And also, leopard varnish.

As for the foal in question... believe it or not, I'm on the fence on her. Dealing with the extreme pangare you are, plus the duller color... arguably, she could've been a bay. However, her yearling photo gives it away. It's another cream. :) With pangare.
Think 'Pink' and it might make a little more sense. This is a coat that happens to be on bay rather than on chestnut. Although I don't see any signs, there may also be some cryptic dun that's diffusing the color more. With such a combination of strong pangare and certain types of strong dun, we could theoretically have a pseudo-buckskin like this. An actual bay coat that's been lightened and brightened to look close to a buckskin coat. :lol:

In this case, I'd label her a buckskin pangare blanket.

Of course, I've been wrong in the past. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am