Community Forum

Question about Greys

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
RiverValleyRanch
Visit My Farm

Question about Greys

Post by RiverValleyRanch »

I'm just wondering what grey variation my Arab stud is.
He has a light head, black mane, white tail, and dark body.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: Question about Greys

Post by EclipticEnd »

RiverValleyRanch wrote:I'm just wondering what grey variation my Arab stud is.
He has a light head, black mane, white tail, and dark body.
I'm not sure as to variants on the grey gene; I know there's sub-genes to grey that control dappling, where the grey begins to cover the horse, how fast it's covered, etc.

To my best knowledge, horses in this game will keep their original mane color when greying out though the tail will turn grey with age. Greying often will start around the face and then fade in over the body. The main variant I suppose would be whether your horse greys in dapples or as a cloud. Yours is lacking the dapple sub-gene for Grey.

I'm not sure anyone's done an in-depth study into the grey gene (to my knowledge) and unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough with real life versions of the gene to know any terms for grey variants.

I don't tend to note dappling in Grey as to not confuse it with Silver dappling or Sooty dappling which tends to be visible for the entirety of a horse's life. Grey dappling will eventually be hidden as the pale coloration solidifies. I therefore call Grey horse colors "Grey (non-grey coat color)". Yours, for example, would be Grey (Black) as beneath the Grey gene the horse is Black.

Hope that helps in any way!
RiverValleyRanch
Visit My Farm

Re: Question about Greys

Post by RiverValleyRanch »

Reminds me of a steel brey with a light head. So I'd say he is the cloud variant. I didn't see any dapples. I'm waiting to see what his son looks like lol
Become a Patron!