The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leg Flushing Defined

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Leg Flushing Defined

Post by BlackOak2 »

Note: I know I've done this on somebody's question before, but I can't seem to find it, so I'm redoing it for the community and also so I can link it to my quicklinks (so I don't lose it again!).

There are four reasons for the bottom of a horse's legs to be bleached, flushed or otherwise change color and that is NOT related to Tobiano or Leopard Complex. This does NOT cover the graying gene, because the graying gene plays a part over the entirety of the coat and NOT JUST the legs.

These genes are Flaxen (can also color the mane and tail, but is only expressed on red-based coats); Plume; Dun and Pangare.

Flaxen
Flaxen originates from the hoof and creeps upward.
When this one is in play, it is always on a red-based coat (chestnut, palomino, cremello, etc) and when there is this expression, there will always also be a flush to the mane and tail. However, some colors already express a 'white' or 'whitish' mane and tail, thus hiding the flaxen flush.
**Note: A horse can express flaxen in the mane and tail and NOT express the flaxen on the feet, but a flaxen flush on the feet can only express with the mane and tail flushing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dun
Dun originates at the back of the ankle and comes forward, upward and downward. Sometimes it's barely a hint, sometimes it can take over almost the entire ankle to the front. However, it has not yet been seen to encompass the entire lower foot, to the hoof or upward toward the middle of the lower leg. Dun will also occasionally, but not always, offer stripes at the ankles.

Pangare
Pangare originates from the 'underside' of the horse. So if one has good eyes (or also a good screen), there will be indications around the nose, the eyes and the belly. So pangare extends from the belly downward onto the legs and depending on the lower legs, can reach all the way to the hooves or can also stop short at the black hairs.
This gene cannot affect black pigment, so it hides behind the black.

Plume
Plume appears to act much like dun, where it originates at the back of the ankle and extends forward, upward and downward. Unlike dun, however, Plume can extend much, much further than dun. Plume can take over the entire lower leg area and can 'frost' the top of the hairs, leaving the underside of the hairs the original color while only bleaching the very tips.

**I don't have any other current plumes that are not also affected by one of the other genes (dun, pangare, flaxen); I don't have any current examples of flaxen not also affected by pangare or also dun.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am