The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Colour | Quick-Information

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Colour | Quick-Information

Post by Sawd10 »

Please do not quote this post. Just reply, this topic is bookmarked.

Some links may be off-site.

Horse colours: Names and pictures - Made by Horse World Online player Totina, this guide has the names of the coats, the genes, and also offers pictures. Great for beginners.

HWO Horse Colour Guide - Made by Horse World Online Alpha Tester Argent, this handy guide also offers pictures (though outdated, the changes were not large enough to make a big difference. Still easy to identify colours using this guide). This guide has 5 posts worth reading; the introductory post, Bay+, Brown+, Black+, Chestnut+, colour identification tips. All are in the order as shown.

What Colour is My Horse? Quick Guide by Ancient Breed - Another colour guide by Alpha Tester Argent, this offers specific insight based on the Ancient Breeds (Adoption Centre). Slightly more advanced than the other two shown.

I made a colour reference chart - Player Malakai10 posted this chart they illustrated and authored for the use of the community. Right click/tap with two fingers for PC/Chromebook/Mac to open the image in a new tab for a better look. Tap and hold for mobile devices.

Horse Colour Genetics: An Introduction - Off-site link. Introductory template to genes with which you can put in the different gene letter combinations and get the results. With a little bit of knowledge on colours, this can be used to help identify the colour of your horse.

Coat Colours - Off-site link. By player Totina, on this site you can search for specific coat colours and it will tell you the genes and will offer a variety of pictures per colour, if available. It shows one or two regularly, one with the Tiger Eye gene, and occasionally one with white markings or one with metallic sheen. This one is a very helpful one.

Coat Colour Calculator - Off-site link. - Read the directions at the top of the page for information on how to work this calculator. As long as you know the colouring of both the sire and the dam you are good to go on what colour(s) your foal could be. This gives percentages.
Example:
Sire: Red (Chestnut/Sorrel) - Solid - Grey
Dam: Cremello - Solid - Not Grey
Advanced options:
Sire: Homozygous Agouti (AA) - Non Silver Carrier - Heterozygous Grey (Gg)
Dam: Unknown - Non Silver Carrier
Calculations:
50.00% - Palomino
50.00% - Grey (Palomino)

Horse Genes Made Easy - Etalon Diagnostics - Off-site link. Easy to understand beginner's guide on colour genes. Has simple images that represent basic colours,
patterns, and modifiers. More detailed information is accessible within this guide's descriptors.

Guide to Horse Colours and Patterns - Off-site link. A good description of an in-depth colouration identification guide. Merely drawn and mostly not shaded pictures, but nonetheless a worthy read.

A Study in Dilution: the Dun Gene - By Horse World Online player BlackOak2, this post is one of the rarer, going more in-depth on dun dilutions. If you are looking to extend your knowledge, thoroughly reading this post is a good idea.

A Study in Dappling: the Silver Gene - The other of the studies by BlackOak2, this one tackles the Silver gene. An in-depth study on the Silver gene is something not commonly stumbled across. I used this to extend my knowledge on the subject.

Spotted Fields Forever - AC LP Experiments - Knabstrupper let out a follow along somewhat recently focused on PATN1. There is not much to be said of this one. It is quite easy to see for yourself their ideas and progress.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion - Started by Totina and continued by others. Not only does this give depth on the leopard patterning, it also gives insight from other players and more gene pairing and allele information.

Tobiano Patterns - Information and open discussion - By player Silverine. Based on the above linked "Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion", this one focuses on the Tobiano patterns and genes. Yet another worthy read, with insight and information from other players, as well.

Leg Flushing Defined - Posted by BlackOak2. This simple but effective post gives pictures and information on flushing legs. Includes Flaxen, Dun, Pangaré, Plume.

Shades of Black - A pictorial guide by Nazarach. After studying this, I found that this is extremely useful for new players, or older players who would like to get into colouring more. All the same, this guide offers a 0YO photo and a 1YO photo of common gene pairings on a black-based horse. It also offers the gene makeup and additional information where needed.

More will be added as I find worthy.
Last edited by Sawd10 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
A wise man once said nothing at all.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Colour | Quick-Information

Post by Sawd10 »

Held.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

wow, just stumbled about this nice collection ^^ thank you for making such a nice, clean collection of the different topics :D

just wanted to ask if you might be interested to add my topic
Shades of Black viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19942 to your post? Seen some ppl often stumbling over the differences especially if they disregard the foal coat - which might be the best way to go for all other color identifacations apart from black but well... ^^'

also, cause i think your post/topic is a really useful collection, for beginners and long time dwellers as well; could it be pinned up top?
Tom wrote:read above :)
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Nazarach wrote:
Ah, well, I am glad that it comes to use. I got tired, after a while of constant colouring topic-searching to study in my free time, of how disorderly it was looking for them. I kept the links to myself on a document for a little bit, until I realized it would make fine sense to add it in the forums for anyone else who dealt with the same irritations. Also... I just like everything important to be ordered, if I would like to fight my sometimes-lazy self!

Yes, I just added your topic; it should be at the bottom/newest line of the post. Good to have simple yet important posts around. People do not always make foal coat studies, and I find those to be vitally important if you are to comprehend colouring--so thank you for offering this.
Pinned at the top? Hah, I would be honored to have as much done, although I am not sure if such is to be done, as these are not all Horse-World-related items. Your thought sustains me, though; it would be useful to have this at an easily accessed place... For me and all players. Regardless, I will continue to bump this topic up every now and again so that other players know that this exists.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Sawd10 wrote:.
nah, credit where credit is due ;) It always helps when things are organized - and posts such as yours help with that :) and there are a couple guides etc. from others that also point to off-site content so i don't think its something that lowers your topics worth ^^ and thanks for your praise ^-^

Last bumped by Sawd10 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:42 pm.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm