The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What color is this horse? What is his phenotype?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Capybara_King
Visit My Farm

What color is this horse? What is his phenotype?

Post by Capybara_King »

I’m trying to figure out the genetic makeup of all my horses, and I want to see if anyone can figure out his phenotype. He looks kinda like a champagne but I’m not sure. Here he is:
Silver’s Conquest
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: What color is this horse? What is his phenotype?

Post by KingstonDressage »

Capybara_King wrote:I’m trying to figure out the genetic makeup of all my horses, and I want to see if anyone can figure out his phenotype. He looks kinda like a champagne but I’m not sure. Here he is:
Silver’s Conquest
I'd say a Dark Champagne, or a Dusty-like Dun coat. You could also push for a grullo horse.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: What color is this horse? What is his phenotype?

Post by Nazarach »

Capybara_King wrote:I’m trying to figure out the genetic makeup of all my horses, and I want to see if anyone can figure out his phenotype. He looks kinda like a champagne but I’m not sure. Here he is:
Silver’s Conquest
He's definitely champagne - i'd say
1. a Silver Sooty Bay Pearl Champagne with Tiger Eye:
- Silver, the mane is kinda obvious
- Sooty, same kind as his sire seeing he shares the top-light, bottom-dark fade
- Bay Pearl, as in relation to his rather pale color with darker points; his sire can't carry cream, so to have him be this light at least one pearl is inherited from him and a second pearl (most probably - see 2.) from the dams side.
- champagne, light eyes and freckles are an indicator for champagne - the rather... grainy texture of the freckles might also indicate pearl invovement
- Tiger Eye, light eyes of a green/yellow color are an indicator for Tiger Eye - his sire definitly has both copies, his dam *at least* one (seeing as she threw a solid black, green eyed foal), which means he'd inherit one from each parent. Also, as they aren't greyish/blue he also won't carry cream instead of pearl.

2. Silver Sooty Amber Champagne with Tiger Eye
might be I'm wrong with the double pearl and he's a really pale Sooty Silver Amber Champagne though :/

Bays this dilluted aren't my forte, and his dam with her lineage doesn't make things easier I admit...-.-'
it could also be due to some hidden pangaré from the dam plus the sires sooty, which can throw a wrench in any estimation... ^^'

But, the gen codes I'd bank my money on would (most likely) be either:
1. E_ A_ prl/prl Ch/n Sty/n Z/n t/t (Silver Sooty Bay Pearl Champagne w/ Tiger Eye)
or
2. E_ A_ Ch/n Z/n t/t (Silver Sooty Amber Champagne w/ Tiger Eye)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 am