The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Question About Color Shades

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Question About Color Shades

Post by prplebird20 »

Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

Re: Question About Color Shades

Post by KingstonDressage »

prplebird20 wrote:Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote:Hi, I was wondering, if you had for example, two Liver Chestnuts, and you bred them, then could you get a Sandy Chestnut? If you breed two horses of the same shade, then could you get a different shade?
It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: It is entirely possible that you get the same shade of coat from the sire and dam, although that doesn't mean that there is a 100% chance. Some horses can actually get their coats from great-sires and great-dams. Some horses can also start out with the same shade, and slowly transition to a darker or lighter shade, so you never can really know. You'll have to wait to age the foal to see the real results! I hope this helps!
Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote: Also, if you breed a cherry chestnut and a chestnut-based horse, then is there a higher percent chance of getting a cherry chestnut? Thanks!
Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
Hopefully these work...
Firefeather

Lionfire

If not then these are their links:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3017832
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3100876
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: Could you link the horses you have in mind for breeding? It would be easier if I could see them.
Hopefully these work...
Firefeather

Lionfire

If not then these are their links:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3017832
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3100876
Okay. So, there are a couple different possible outcomes of the foal. I'd say that there is a chance it is a cherry chestnut, a high one. Despite this high chance, you may end up with a light chestnut horse, or even a faint dun.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

Wait... How could I get a dun?
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:Wait... How could I get a dun?
When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
prplebird20
Visit My Farm

Post by prplebird20 »

KingstonDressage wrote:
prplebird20 wrote:Wait... How could I get a dun?
When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
I got a Palomino... :roll:
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm

prplebird20 wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: When I say 'dun', I mean a very slight, altered dun coat. The dun wouldn't be the sandy color, more of a light brown, tannish color.
I got a Palomino... :roll:
You don't know that for sure. As that foal ages, the color can change. Like a lot. As I also said before, the horse could be an off-dun color, which is what you got. And the eye roll wasn't neccesary.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 pm