The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

I thought....

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

I thought....

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

I thought this gal was amber champagne, but I don't see speckles on her nose :? What color would she be?

Gabby_Woodlark
Location: Ehem... My soul is inside my body if that's what you're asking.
Visit My Farm

Re: I thought....

Post by Gabby_Woodlark »

horsegirl008~2 wrote:I thought this gal was amber champagne, but I don't see speckles on her nose :? What color would she be?

Nvm lol, never been good at colors
Last edited by Gabby_Woodlark on Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

She's a Silver something. Silver turns coats that kind of beige/golden tint and also explains the mottling of the coat.

I'm not that good past that when it comes to silver; a lot of similar coats look the same when it's involved. She seems too dark to be a double cream champagne I think? But it also might be possible? I'd love to be more specific with this but my internet is not loading things very well at all right now and my references are useless because of it.

I know that the Sire's color is incorrect; Gold Champagnes are very gold and he's very pale. It's possible he's a Cremello Champagne that's gone white with varnish? All of his foals are champagne which means he might be homozygous for it, but he could just be getting lucky with passing one gene down.

It's possible that this lady'll have one cream gene and one champagne gene from him. The eyes look grey on both of them which suggests no tiger eye. If that's the case then she must be double cream? Which is possible since both parents have cream. I'm not sure if Silver Perlino Champagne could be the answer; again she seems to dark to be double cream champagne.

It's possible that she's not champagne at all and might be a Silver Smoky Cream. That's my guess, but I'm not very sure.

Someone with more experience will be able to offer a more definitive answer I think.
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

EclipticEnd wrote:She's a Silver something. Silver turns coats that kind of beige/golden tint and also explains the mottling of the coat.

I'm not that good past that when it comes to silver; a lot of similar coats look the same when it's involved. She seems too dark to be a double cream champagne I think? But it also might be possible? I'd love to be more specific with this but my internet is not loading things very well at all right now and my references are useless because of it.

I know that the Sire's color is incorrect; Gold Champagnes are very gold and he's very pale. It's possible he's a Cremello Champagne that's gone white with varnish? All of his foals are champagne which means he might be homozygous for it, but he could just be getting lucky with passing one gene down.

It's possible that this lady'll have one cream gene and one champagne gene from him. The eyes look grey on both of them which suggests no tiger eye. If that's the case then she must be double cream? Which is possible since both parents have cream. I'm not sure if Silver Perlino Champagne could be the answer; again she seems to dark to be double cream champagne.

It's possible that she's not champagne at all and might be a Silver Smoky Cream. That's my guess, but I'm not very sure.

Someone with more experience will be able to offer a more definitive answer I think.
It's a mystery :lol:
I'll just put down silver smoky cream for the moment. Thanks!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

horsegirl008~2 wrote:It's a mystery :lol:
If no one else has a better answer for you by the time she has some foals then ping me again; it'll be easier to tell her color once we see what she's passed down to her progeny.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Her pedigree shows some interesting triple and double dilutes as well as solids.
She may be double cream, but she may also be cream and pearl.

If you pair her with a flat black (with no cream genes) and she throws a non-smoky foal, then your horse is a pearl carrier.
You can also do this with a chestnut. In fact, the chestnut might be easier to do. You won't need to deal with silver then. But that's assuming your horse is an E/e and not a double E... pedigree suggests she has a fair chance to be an E/E.

A smoky foal appears grayish in shade while a flat black foal has a reddish shade. Of course, silver can be a problem to that...

Silverine was working closely with these double and triple dilutes - cream versus pearl versus cream & pearl - but is currently on hiatus. There are others, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on exactly who may be able to give you a direct answer immediately.

Anyway. No champagne. Black base. Remember - dapples from silver are always paired with black.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

EclipticEnd wrote:
horsegirl008~2 wrote:It's a mystery :lol:
If no one else has a better answer for you by the time she has some foals then ping me again; it'll be easier to tell her color once we see what she's passed down to her progeny.
Sounds good, thank you!
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:Her pedigree shows some interesting triple and double dilutes as well as solids.
She may be double cream, but she may also be cream and pearl.

If you pair her with a flat black (with no cream genes) and she throws a non-smoky foal, then your horse is a pearl carrier.
You can also do this with a chestnut. In fact, the chestnut might be easier to do. You won't need to deal with silver then. But that's assuming your horse is an E/e and not a double E... pedigree suggests she has a fair chance to be an E/E.

A smoky foal appears grayish in shade while a flat black foal has a reddish shade. Of course, silver can be a problem to that...

Silverine was working closely with these double and triple dilutes - cream versus pearl versus cream & pearl - but is currently on hiatus. There are others, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on exactly who may be able to give you a direct answer immediately.

Anyway. No champagne. Black base. Remember - dapples from silver are always paired with black.
Thanks for the info :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:25 pm