The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What color is this?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Macaroni and cheesw
Visit My Farm

What color is this?

Post by Macaroni and cheesw »

Spirit

At first I thought this was buckskin. But then I realized it had a very gray mane and tail, and it had silver starting around it's eyes. I'm not sure if there's such thing as graying buckskin, but it may be possible because the parent was a flea-bitten chestnut color. Can anybody help me out?
Horsechronicles12
Visit My Farm

Re: What color is this?

Post by Horsechronicles12 »

Macaroni and cheesw wrote:Spirit

At first I thought this was buckskin. But then I realized it had a very gray mane and tail, and it had silver starting around it's eyes. I'm not sure if there's such thing as graying buckskin, but it may be possible because the parent was a flea-bitten chestnut color. Can anybody help me out?
I would say buckskin even though it has a very gray mane
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Horsechronicles12 wrote:
Macaroni and cheesw wrote:Spirit

I would say buckskin even though it has a very gray mane
Those gray goggles are a sign of the gray gene. You are correct, you have a 'Graying Buckskin'. If you had taken an image as a newborn, you would have seen that the foal already has it's adult coat. Even with the picture you took with the foal a short time after birth, you can still see the adult coat.

A horse as a newborn with an adult coat is a horse that has the gray gene and will start graying at some point. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Macaroni and cheesw
Visit My Farm

Reply to BlackOak2

Post by Macaroni and cheesw »

Thank you so much! This not only helped me determine this horse's color but also any other foals I get like this as well.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

;)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!