The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Post by Hilayla »

Welcome to
Hil's Hooplah and Hullaballoo!
Hooplah (Main Farm) | Hullaballoo(Side Farm)
Hooplah
Breeding Mongolians, Chinese Ponies, Tibetan Ponies, Burma Ponies and Manipuris for Western Disciplines.
  • Mongolian
Breeding for increased herd size
  • Chinese Pony
Chinese Ponies are divided into two groups. One group is being used for a conservation breeding experiment. The other is my regular lines. The Regular herd was composed of mostly crosses being bred back up to pure. The Project herd was began with 5 animals. 1 Stallion and 4 Mares. I am now running separate mare and stallion shows.

Currently Standing

Grand Champion, Subjugated Gravesnare is currently the top ranked Chinese Pony in points. He is a Grand Champion in Western Trail with green balance and an HGP of 36.668.

Subjugated Lunatic is half-brother to Gravesnare and holds a GCh+. While his win percentage is less than his brother he overtaking him in titles and will likely soon overtake him as top ranking Chinese Pony in the points category.

Currently Running Shows
None at this time
  • Tibetan Pony
Stallions have been put in barns. Mares divided into lines. Now to set a standard and goals
  • Burma Pony
This herd was started when I accidentally bred a Burma Filly. I am breeding her to high movement outside stud to create cross foals I will eventually breed back to pure.
  • Manipuri Pony
Manipuris have been sorted and I am now running separate shows for males and females. Need to set goals and standards.
Currently Standing:

Heartbroken Macaroni is a Working Ranch Master Champion with Green Balance, Gold Intelligence and an HGP of 58.603. He is currently the top ranked Manipuri in points and second in wins and earnings.

Currently Running Shows
None at this time
  • Low GP Project
Low GP project is coming along. Thanks to EclipticEnd, I am now getting scores in the 11s.

Current Goals:
  • Organize Farm-Started. Want to decorate more.
  • Choose Breed Disciplines for body types
  • Breeding Plans for each breed
  • Phase out Tarpans
  • Phase out Przewalskis

Hullaballoo

I have taken all the horses sitting on this farm and now am breeding myself some good movement grinders from these leftover lines. Movement has been plaguing all of my herds so I decided I need to breed my own lines to cross in.

Last Edit: October 18, 2022
Last edited by Hilayla on Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:33 am, edited 31 times in total.
Jasmine_Hanley
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Post by Jasmine_Hanley »

Hilayla wrote:I've spent almost a month playing this game and thought it time to start clarifying and tracking my goals for my two farms. I'm still figuring out the best way to train my horses, while tracking their scores to gauge which will eventually excel in my chosen discipline. I am wondering how the local scores compare to regular show scores. I'm also still working out time management and choosing which horses are worth training and which should go straight into the breeding barn. I'm currently training each horse as much as possible before "retiring" them to the breeding pasture. This doesn't leave time for more than one local show in the eventing and I also feel I have "wasted hours" in the evening. I'm also having to come to terms with the fact that my favorite horses are not always my best horses.

I'm also working out the math on building a barn but I'm still not sure if the outlay is worth it over simply getting another pasture but I think it may help alleviate the feeding problems some of my horses seem to have. I suppose I could mow the pasture down and try keeping them on more feed but I'm not really liking that idea, It doesn't allow me to mix feeds anyway.

Hooplah is my original farm and I'm looking to breed Manipuri's from scratch. I feel it's going pretty well. I have started entering shows and tracking the highest and lowers scores on each horse. I don't really expect them to be competitive for a few generations. I'm focusing on Dressage with these horses and, ultimately, breeding and showing a foal who will win a combined championship. I ended up re-homing a couple of horses because they didn't sell and I was running low on space.
March to Manipuris
Stage 1: Mongolian = [Przewalski x Tarpan] x Tarpan
Stage 2: Chinese Pony = Przewalski x Mongolian
Stage 3: Tibetan Pony = Mongolian x Chinese Pony
Stage 4: Manipuri = Tibetan Pony x [Arab x Mongolian]

Current Status

Stage 1: I have several Tarpans and a couple of Przewalskis. I'll be adding new blood as needed but I after a couple of accidental Exmoors, I have finally gotten a [Tarpan x Przwalski] Bold Monkey, and he's just reached breeding age so I'm hoping I'll be getting my first Mongolian soon.

My second farm is focusing on horses for Cross Country and I haven't decided on any particular breed as yet. Just sort of working on quests and researching breeds. I may try working on creating every breed from scratch. I'm hoping to do this with no inbreeding so all the PT on this account will likely go on adoption horses to keep new blood flowing into my lines.

Breeding and Sales
To save space I will be listing horses from both farms here, although I run them as separate entities. All mares are available for brood by request. Stallions up for public stud will be listed here as will horses for sale. Each farm has two stallions standing for the public but I will switch one out upon request. I will also breed a foal from two of my horses upon request.

Stallions as Stud:

Sir Percy Picklepants
Percy is an adopted Tarpan. At the time of this writing, he has 5 foals on the ground and 3 are competitive. He is currently 15 years old. His GP is 33,359. He has no red stats.

Can't Get Right
Getty is an adopted Tarpan with 2 foals currently on the ground and a GP of 35,709, His movement is in the red.

Horses for Sale:

None at this time.
You are doing great for just starting! There are several charts around the game, and one on my farm page for disciplines tempermant and stats. As far as building barns go, it really does depend.

If it’s your foals, then they should grow out of it, and a barn will make it worse. If they are adult horses I wouldn’t really jump to a barn either, since they might just need a bit more food. I usually give my horses at least 100% unless they’re in training. The horses in training usually get 105%+.

My barns are usually just used for organizing trained horses and changing tempermant, if possible.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hooplah News

I'm still working on training and feeding issues. All horses are in pastures and I'm checking feeds daily. If I mow down the pasture it seems to help a bit. If I don't, some horses start getting fat and others still go hungry. This is going to require some more playing around. I'm trying to find the best percentage of pasture to allow me to keep the weight up or down. I don't like seeing my horses in poor condition.

As far as Training goes, I'm starting foals off in the arena at a walk until they can do 30 minutes at which point I switch to Collection and Impulsion in the Arena. Once they are down to around 25% energy use for 30 mins or above 90 in stamina and intelligence, I start working at a trot or canter because speed and agility are hardest to raise with my current method. Once they are cantering well for a small amount of energy I switch to jumping obstacles and switch up where we work, generally at a trot or pace. Right now, I'm switching them to the breeding pasture at around 10 or 11 yrs old because I don't have time to continue working them all. As I still have all my first generation horses, I don't really expect to get them fully trained anyway. The jumping starts raising fatigue so any horse that is showing signs of fatigue doesn't get trained in that turn. This leaves more time to enter local shows.

I've been taking courses, as I can afford it but I'm in the market for a new pasture so courses or on hold while I save up money. Although I'm currently studying an agility course to help raise that stat more quickly. I can host two competitions and try to make sure I always create them. Once a day (real life day) I enter them all in a random competition. I'm trying to track their scores to see how has the greatest variance and who scores more consistently. With the weight problems I'm still sorting out, I don't really expect too much accuracy in their true capabilities, but it's a starting place and can still give me a general idea of how the horse performs.

I haven't really been paying attention to temperaments too much or body types either. There's a lot to learn. I need to get into the genetics more as well so I can fill in my colors. I just haven't taken the time to do that. Most of my horses are fairly easy. I don't have too many crazy colors or patterns. I think most are bay dun but as far as shades and whether regular dun and zebra are different or the same. I have enough knowledge to know I don't know nearly enough to guess without a bit more research.

Overall I'm really happy with the direction this farm is heading.
Jasmine_Hanley wrote:If it’s your foals, then they should grow out of it, and a barn will make it worse. If they are adult horses I wouldn’t really jump to a barn either, since they might just need a bit more food. I usually give my horses at least 100% unless they’re in training. The horses in training usually get 105%+. ]
Thanks for that info. I'll keep them in the pasture. I try to keep them as close to 100% as possible. I sometimes accept 99% if they are already leaning towards heavy. Most keep dropping weight and I have several in poor condition. I think this may have more to do with mowing techniques. I may just need to keep it mowed enough for the horses to require extra feed since trying grazing just doesn't seem to work. I'm currently testing my breeding pasture get to 100% to see how it affects the horses since they are retired from training. At around 80% right now the horses in the pasture are ranging from moderately thin to fleshy. I'm not sure if age can affect weight gain or not. I'm still not sure how horse on 101% might not be getting enough food but it has happened a couple of times. It's the horses in training that have more weight problems and they are also the youngest so I think it's about maintaining a good mowing schedule.

Now to figure out what to do about my colt curse.
Jasmine_Hanley
Visit My Farm

Post by Jasmine_Hanley »

Hilayla wrote:
Jasmine_Hanley wrote:If it’s your foals, then they should grow out of it, and a barn will make it worse. If they are adult horses I wouldn’t really jump to a barn either, since they might just need a bit more food. I usually give my horses at least 100% unless they’re in training. The horses in training usually get 105%+. ]
Thanks for that info. I'll keep them in the pasture. I try to keep them as close to 100% as possible. I sometimes accept 99% if they are already leaning towards heavy. Most keep dropping weight and I have several in poor condition. I think this may have more to do with mowing techniques. I may just need to keep it mowed enough for the horses to require extra feed since trying grazing just doesn't seem to work. I'm currently testing my breeding pasture get to 100% to see how it affects the horses since they are retired from training. At around 80% right now the horses in the pasture are ranging from moderately thin to fleshy. I'm not sure if age can affect weight gain or not. I'm still not sure how horse on 101% might not be getting enough food but it has happened a couple of times. It's the horses in training that have more weight problems and they are also the youngest so I think it's about maintaining a good mowing schedule.

Now to figure out what to do about my colt curse.
I personally do not now lawns, it takes too much time in game while I’m training and it is less expensive to feed. I just feed the extra percentage with performance mix and let them do their thing.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I'm back after a a bit of a hiatus due to a lot of traveling. I've refined some more of my goals and am well on my way to meeting several. I"m focusing on dressage as a discipline and all my horses are shown only in that, even though they may do better in other events. My ultimate goal is still to Manipuris which excel in Dressage so I am keeping this in mind even as I breed my foundation stock.

HOOPLAH!

Genral: I've bought another large pasture. I now have a dedicated small pasture pasture for sale horses, although most of money is going to skill training and farm/pasture expansions. Offers are accepted on all horses as I would rather see them go to someone who could use them than languishing in a pasture. I also have large pastures for Stages 1 and 2.

I've also slowed my breeding down. I only breed during the spring months now and only one pair per season. Bold Monkey is my highest rated dressage horse but he doesn't win consistently at level one local shows so I am not entering points shows at all yet. I feel slowing down my breeding will help with training as I can concentrate on my "showing horse" while training the best foal to replace him when the time comes. I'm looking the forward to the time when I will have too many and need to send them for training. I'm also considering keeping only one stallion for breeding purposes and utilizing more outside studs. I'm thinking this will help prevent too much linebreeding.

Stage 1: Stage 1: [Przewalski x Tarpan] x Tarpan = Mongolian

I have bred my first Mongolian, Millie, and she is currently in training, although her dressage is not where I would like it she is the the filly with the most the potential there. I have three [Przewalski x Tarpan]s but they are all boys so I'm especially glad my little Mongol was a filly.

Stage 2: Stage 2: Przewalski x Mongolian =Chinese Pony

Millie is in this pasture along with a couple of Przewalski boys and a Przwalski mare who have good evals for Mongol ponies. This stage is still in the beginning phase so more stock here is the current goal.

Hullabaloo

This farm is breeding for quest completion and Endurance. I've added a large pasture here for Bosnians which is the current goal I'm working on. I've not decided on a particular breed yet for this farm, so I'm mostly creating pairs with talent for endurance racing. Other than that, there is not much to report here since I'm still organizing and sorting horses with an eye for future quest completions.

So I'm still here even though I'm mostly quiet.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Today I finally sat down and thought long and hard about where each of my ranches is going. I've decided to slow down a bit and think more. Most of work has been around redoing the pages of each ranch. I'll probably post updates from each ranch in separate posts now and may edit the first post to reflect sales from each ranch and just the basics. As for the changes decided on today I've just copy/pasted the info below.

General Practices:

I do not have a holding account. My farms run as basically separate entities. The number of turns I take each day depends on the time I have available. I often get on several times a day. MY HORSES WILL AGE AND DIE! if you want one let me know sooner rather than later. That being said, I average about 6 months to a year per day. I do sometimes go more than that depending on extra days awarded and the time I have to play.

I only breed my horses in the spring of each year (to prevent over breeding and also to force myself to slow down and really consider all the aspects. I will however brood a mare at any time if we have worked a deal.

I will offer all stallions for stud upon request.

All mares are likewise available for brood with the caveat that there may a wait. My breedings will be listed below and any breeding (including broods) will be listed in the order received in the mare's page.

I do not sell horses with strings attached. If you purchase a horse from me IT IS YOUR HORSE. You may change the name, or otherwise do with it as you wish.

My rules are for me alone. I do not expect anyone else to abide by my practices.

Hooplah! - Tarpan Improvement Project, Przewalskis, Mongolians

Tarpans
Tarpans are being bred for stats.

Breeding List:

Can't Get Right x Noble Ransom [Tarpan, Tempo, GP]

Gardenia on Holiday = best movement [Searching for outside stud with good movement]

Current Tarpan Goals:

Dressage
Strength
Movement
Tempo
Balance
GP
Moderate to Moderately Fleshy
Even or Calm Temperament
Build - Unsure

Przewalskis
Currently being bred for stat improvement

Current Goals:

Dressage
Strength
Movement
Tempo
Balance
GP
Even or Calm Temperament
Build - Unsure

Mongolians

Mongolians are a tertiary breed created by crossing my two main breeds. They will be bred whenever I have a chance of creating a good cross with my current stock and eventually, I hope, be a self-supporting breed.

Current Goals:

Dressage
Strength
Movement
Tempo
Balance
GP
Even or Calm Temperament
Build - Unsure

Hullabaloo:

Turks
I chose this breed to start with because my favorite horse, Descending Splendour, just happens to be of this breed. She is, however, my only horse of this breed at this time so I will be combing the sales ads and adoption center

Current Turk Goals:

Endurance
Speed
Stamina
Tempo
Agility
GP
Long Manes and Tails (might as well have a "looks" goal)
Thin to Moderately Thin
Spirited Temperament

Quests
I originally started this farm just to complete quests. I'll be limiting this to one large pasture from this point. I'm going to attempt to go down a list so as to continue to use my lines but I'm not sure how successful I'll be at that. Current goals will be listed below.

Current Quest Goal:

Bosnian Pony = [ North African Barb x Tarpan ] x [ Przewalski Horse x Tarpan ]

This project is just getting underway. I have a North African Barb x Tarpan AND a Przewalski x Tarpan but, unfortunately they are both boys. I'm trying to check the sales more often for mates for my horses.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

I've done some more culling and bred some new ponies. I've figured out where I want to be and listed out my best stats achieved for dressage for each breed. I'm planning to start a sales thread and stud thread for my farms but I've just been lazy. As far as the stats so far, here they are:

Tarpans
I currently own 11. My best horse, The Tea's Knees, is of this breed. I'll be using him a lot. Not only is he my best horse but his stats are such that Dressage is actually his best discipline so I'm very excited about him. Of course not all of these stats are on the same horse, but hopefully time will show steady improvement in them all.

Dressage 56.6
Strength - 37.1
Movement - 52.8
Tempo - 89.2
Balance - 50
GP - 48.493

Przewalskis
I have 4 Przewalskis and have not been breeding them as long as I have the Tarpans but we aren't off to too bad a start here.

Dressage - 33.1
Strength - 40
Movement - 25
Tempo - 40.5
Balance - 44.1
GP - 32.343

Mongolians
I only have 2 Mongols at this point, I have a stud who evaluates 5 stars for the breed but I haven't found a comparable mare as he's yet to throw a Mongol pony. The body size is always off. I've been placing his offspring up for sale as I'm not sure how they could fit into plans and I don't have the space or skill to experiment with them.
The stats are pretty good for them overall, I would guess due the time I'm investing in the foundation breeds. I'm going to be evaluating the Tarpans and Prezwalskis again to see which pairs may throw the most promising foals.

Dressage - 48.3
Strength - 51.4
Movement - 52.8
Tempo - 48.6
Balance - 41.2
GP - 43.040

I keep forgetting to enter player competitions but I do so when I remember. I"ve also stopped trying to train all my horses so I can concentrate on the top three untrained horses at one time and still have time for a few shows.
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla2 »

Hullabaloo Update

Turkmenes

They are the main breed for now on this farm I'm doing side projects for quest completions but I'm not breeding for stats specifically. Most of the quest horses will be sold. Once I have my Turks where I want them, I'll add another breed that crosses with them for my second project. I currently only have 3 so I'm still looking for good mares. They are still being bred for endurance

Current high stats
Endurance 58.6
Speed 75.6
Stamina 53.5
Tempo 24.3
Agility 43.8
GP 45.194
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hooplah News!

Big news in Year 33 (September 18, 2018) is that I had two Chinese Ponies born!

Current Status: Year 33 (September 10, 2018)

I'm starting with Tarpans and Prezwalskis because they figure prominently in creating Mongols and the better my foundations, the better my Manipuris will eventually be when I manage to get to that point.

Tarpans
No real change here. Same numbers, a few different horses.

Currently Owned: 11
Best stat: Tempo (89.2)
Worst Stat: Movement (5.6)
Highest GP: 48.493

Przewalskis
Nothing new with these guys except a lower GP.

Currently owned: 4
Best stat: Balance (44.1)
Worst stat: Movement (2.8)
Highest GP: 32.144

Stage 1: Mongols

I have 3 more Mongolians than I did at during my last report. I think the Tempo has improved but my horses are sorely lacking in the Movement department.

Currently Owned: 5 (+3)
Best Stat: Tempo 62.2
Worst Stat: Movement 5.6
Highest GP: 39.327

Stage 2: Chinese Ponies

Two born this year. This sets me up to start working towards the next stage. I'm hoping to be able to improve more that I am starting remember everything to check first.

Currently Owned: 2 (+2)
Best Stat: Tempo 45.9
Worst Stat: Movement 5.6
Highest GP: 35.426
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hooplah News
Year 35 (9/20/18)
I've spent the past couple of game years taking a long look at my stock and have decided to focus first, on improving GP, then stats, then confo. I almost have the PT for an upgrade and I think I will go ahead and try it out. I'm going to try to save the updates for every five years unless I hit some sort of milestone. That allows a whole new crop of horses to come into play between herd evaluations.

Tarpans
I've been evaluating them and right now my GP ranges between 30.763 and 48.493. From this point on, everything with a GP of less than 30 will be sold and anything less than 35 will have to meet other criteria as well to be kept (i.e. High eval for a cross, green/gold stats). Outside studs must meet my criteria as well. I currently have one stallion and 10 mares.

I've got the evals for several possible Tarpan crosses and have made note in each horses info for each breed they rate 4* or above for. I will eventually get the books for all possible crosses but that is on hold until I get my farm fully expanded.

I've also broken down and stopped trying to breed towards Dressage and am evaluating each of them according to their stats. All I really need at this point is a grinder. Six of the 11 are best suited for Western Pleasure with three evaluating best for Marathon Driving and two in Dressage. I guess I'm sort of meeting my goal for getting dressage oriented horse. Gotta start somewhere.

Przewalkis
I still have only four Przewalskis. Two boys and two girls, but the older stud is over 21 now and could pass on at any time. The younger has just hit breeding age. Lowest GP 30.673, on the stallion about to pass the highest is 32.124 on the colt who just aged up. There's a way to go with these guys.

Mongolians
I have four full Mongolians at this point and I'm thinking of letting the crosses just age out. The lowest GP on these guys 30.257 and the highest is 43.040. Millie, my first Mongol, is 19 years old now and may be moving on soon. I've used her more for crosses so I may try to get a pure Mongol or two before she passes.

Chinese Ponies
Still just have the two foals at this time. I'll be searching the market soon for some of these. Both foals are under the age of two still, so I'm just getting started with them.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:55 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:55 pm