The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Update Spring 210

Post by Hilayla »

I'm at year 210 now. I've upgraded my farm space again so everything is not quite as crowded. There are about 3 more days before my next herd size increase. I've reopened Hullaballoo but I'm using the leftover horses there to start breeding myself some grinders. I am using a lot of outside studs and looking expressly for gold movement. Ultimately I want all golds but I'm in no real rush as long as I have grinders available. I've been working on getting my goals and such onto my farm page. It's not really pretty but info is there. I've started listing my currently standing stallions on my first post. Only one or two per breed and it is a work in progress while I sort out who my best guys are for each breed. Right now I'm going by breed rankings: points, but while a GCH in front of their name is nice to see and helps me tell which boys are competing the best (and maybe hiding heart), titles don't really mean anything.
Burma Pony
I've been breeding the heck out of my one Burma mare. I finally got a colt so I will work on breeding these back up to pure. I've been using outside studs with high movement and continue to do so until my colt comes of age, at which time I will close my lines and start breeding back up to pure.

Chinese Pony

The leftover herd is growing larger and I did manage to sort out Rescue breeding project so I will continue that. I have one more generation to breed, then I will switch to a conservation breeding program for a while. I've also managed to think of a better naming and sorting system that should help me prevent the mistakes I made this time. I have listed current standing stallions on the first post of this log.

Manipuri Pony

My Manipuris are mostly sorted out. I'm going to put them on a conservation breeding program for a few years to increase diversity of bloodlines. I am also going through movement scores to set a culling point for any that fall below whatever my lowest, non-red number is. Movement and lowering COI will my focus here for a few game years. I have listed my best boi on the first page of this log as he is now standing.

Mongolians

Mongolians are all sorted and just about ready to be next Rescue Breeding Project. I'm not starting this quite yet because I need more room (as always). It takes a lot of time to train that skill up so I may just continue to try to slowly improve the horses I have as I wait for more space.

Tibetan Pony

I'd like to do the rescue breeding program with the Tibetans as well but space. It's always space. They are therefore relegated to a maintenance breeding program while trying to improve overall BR and HGP.

That's it for now. I'm thinking I may change up how I do these posts by splitting each breed into their own posts and rotating updates and such. Trying to breed everything on the first day of spring every year is getting to be huge project. Nothing like having 20 foals to sort through in a day. :P I think I might just focus on a single breed each season in rotation. Since I don't freeze my horses I have to keep a lot of records and make sure I don't miss out breeding someone and losing a line. I just now finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

If you read along (I love reading logs and trying to learn from the successes and failures of others) feel free to comment. I'll happily put a stallion up or breed a pair for anyone who is looking at getting started in one of my breeds or their crosses.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Post by Hilayla »

It's still spring 210 at my farm but I have been able to add more horses and I am taking some turns again. Since I've been mainly working on my horse ownership skill I've gone through a bit of cash so I'll be blowing through a year quickly and then see where I am once I have all my current foals born. I'm still thinking of doing one breed per season so I can take turns more often (less to sort an plan at a time) and not feel quite so overwhelmed. It's pretty obvious I gots some cullin' to do as well.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Tibetans - Summer 211

Post by Hilayla »

Decided to start breeding one breed each season. This season I'm working on my Tibetans. I want to keep no more than 12 stallions. That's one barn full. I also want to introduce gray into my herd to mimic real life coloring. My goals for this breed will be as follows for now:

Color: Bay or Gray
Size: 12 to 13 hands
Pony, Medium
Bombproof Temp (I know this can change but I'm keeping track of what they are born with. I'm guessing maybe it would be their default but ngl, I don't understand the temperament thing too well. )
Green Agility
Gold Balance
Gold Intelligence
Green Stamina
Moderate Weight (For the boys in the barns)
Discipline: Western Trail.

It's already late, so I'll have to leave this here for now, go enter my ponies in their competitions and log out. No turns for me yet. :D
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Hullabaloo Update Spring 150

Post by Hilayla2 »

Well, I decided to take the horses I had sitting around over here and start working on my own grinder lines. They are mixes and grades at this point. I found this boy who is gettin' busy with all my mares for about three seasons before just being my new grinder.

He's got 70 HGP with 4 golds and two greens. Now to find myself a similar mare. Or 5. :lol:

Just a reminder that I do check for pings on both accounts at least every other day or so even if I'm not taking turns. I'm moving a bit slow as I have a lot of real life projects going on but the beauty is that my ponies are always here waiting when I return. I"m beginning to find game where time moves on without me to actually add FOMO to my life and I'm a little over all that. :D
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Hooplah Spring 212

Post by Hilayla »

I've decided to start trying to get some Zaniskari ponies going. Why, because I can, I guess. I'm also going to look more closely at the breeds my stock are capable of producing and trying to bred them into different lines for each possible breed. For instance, Manipuris are used for Burma Ponies and Zaniskaris. I'll have three lines. One each to produce horses that have 5* evals for each breed.

This means breeds will get sort of re-evaluated. I might move my Mongolians to Hullabaloo because I have only the grinder project going over there (I'm going to divide those lines by build) and Mongolians are used to create a lot of breeds. I'll need extra space for those evals (although some will overlap and be combined lines.) I think I may try to take a whole years worth of turns just trying to get some more Burmas and to create some Zaniskaris.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Hooplah Summer 212

Post by Hilayla »

I've moved my Mongolians all over to my Hulla acct. I'll be breeding them into my grinders and breeding them into different lines for breeding their downstream breeds. I'm going to try to keep more detailed logs so I don't get lost when life forces me to take these little breaks.

I've gone through at looked at my Manis and will be trying to get some more Burma ponies so I'm breeding them for 5* Burma evaluations this season. I'll find a way to pretty this info up in the future, I'm sure.

Manipuris Bred for 5* Burma Evals:

Wild Diggity

and
Not Again

bred Summer 212 to
Occasional Fruitcake

I'm just now noticing the feathering on that boy. Now I kinda want a line with feathers.

I'm also going to be looking at the breed wikis to see which breeds can be created from the horses I have right now and start organizing them by type. I'm not going to worry so much about running shows right now since theyre kinda broken and I need to work out some kinks evaluating my show stock.

I'm not sure what I'm breeding for in my other breeds yet and I have research to go do. I'll post from my other account about what's going on over there.
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Re: Hullabaloo Spring 151

Post by Hilayla2 »

I've sorted my Mongols into pastures based on their suitability for Making Burma Ponies. I'll be breeding to get 5* Burma Types. To that end I have a colt evaluating at 4*.

Confused Lullaby

who has covered

Seastar Seductress
@ 3*

and Assassin Outdated also evaluating @ 3*

I'm going to be taking another look at my grinder stock and re-evaluating what I am going to with them before breeding again. Now I'll be going trough the wikis to see what breeds are created from Mongols and the other breeds I have.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah Autumn 212

Post by Hilayla »

I managed to find a Burma stallion for stud so these two mares have been bred to him.

Shiverstalker

Movin' On

Back to my recipe lists.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah Winter 212

Post by Hilayla »

Turns out that quite a few breeds can be created from Tibetans so that should keep me busy for a while. I'll be concentrating on getting some Zaniskuris, Burmas, and Sumbas for now. I figure I'll keep going on these breeds until I reach the end of the recipe lines.

My only 5* Tibetan for Zaniskuri is a 7m colt so I used my 4* stallion.

Superstorm

Edited from here because I hit submit instead of preview. :roll:

Superstorm was bred to

Storm my Asterisk

She is also 4* and I just realized I didn't check any pedigrees on these last breedings. Oh well.

These 3* mares were also given a chance to out-produce themselves.

Ragemystic

Melody's Stormwizard

Under a Cloud

I also culled a lot of my Chinese Ponies. I have a pasture full for sale if anyone is interested. All are under 3000, I think. Some are champions.

There will be more put up for sale next time I log in. I'm still sorting them so I haven't gotten around to breeding any more yet.
Hilayla2
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hullabaloo Spring 152

Post by Hilayla2 »

I'm trying to Keep more accurate notes since real life calls me away so often so this is my way of recording what I am doing and where my mind is at so next time I'm gone for a few months, I wonder what the heck was I thinking when I bred these horses.

Spring 152
Began looking over my ranch. My notes tell me I am evaluating my Mongols for Sumba production and choosing one or two to put up for stud. I'll be breeding for Sumbas on both ranches until I get some and then they will likely live here at Hullabaloo until I run out of room or something.

Sales
I have a couple of horses up for sale but I also have horses I need to get a pasture for in my sales lot. I found some Arab x Tarpan crosses and now I want to breed them back to full Tarpan. I don't know why I ever get rid of my Tarpans. I always pick them up again. :roll:

That being said, I am still sorting so more horses may be offered up soon. I also need to update my first post. I think I have some incorrect things there now. I need more pastures so I'll make a list of what I'm wanting.

Tarpan Pastures: Mares and Stallions at this point.
Mongol Pastures: Sumba-bred (3) Others depending on breed projects.
Arab Pastures: Numbers based on whatever I decide my project with them will be.
Kathiawari Pastures:One right now. I am only keeping mares and 1 stud (whoever has the most Kathiawari Blood) until I am back to pure.

What am I doing here?

Mongols
5* Burma Type
5* Sumba Type
Get pastures for better sorting.

Arabs
Raise HGP
Lower COI
Decide on next project

Kathiawari
Breed back to pure
Raise HGP
Lower COI

Tarpan
Breed back to pure
Raise HGP
Lower COI

Took turns until Autumn 152. I'll be waiting until spring for all foals to be born before deciding on breeding pairs next time I log in.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 am