Community Forum

Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Hilayla2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah and Hullabaloo

Post by Hilayla2 »

Hullabaloo News
Spring Year 23 (9/20/18)
Turkmenes
My very first Turkmene, Descending Splender, passed away on the first day of Spring this year. She had six foals while I had her, four of which I kept. She is the basis of my herd and I chose Turkmenes because of her. Three of the foals I kept are stallions. I think I may make a stud thread for them. Since I have only her sole filly to carry on my lines, I decided to search for a new mare. I bought one mare but wasn't impressed with anything else I saw in the sales so I went to the adoption center. I got a very pretty mare who is fast and not much else. Her name is Dippy Drop. The mare I bought is named Preppy Forest. i currently have each of them bred to a different DS foal. In fact, I think I'm going to use her initials as prefixes for her descendants. The filly is too young to breed yet. At any rate, I thought I'd go ahead and introduce what is pretty much my starting lineup for the Turks.

Descending Splendor
The Mare who started it all.

DS Polygon
Descending Splendor's third son.

DS Honey Hug
The fourth son.

DS Daredevil
The fifth son. I love his color.

DS Gilded Debt
Descending Splendors last foal and only filly. I'm really glad I got her although I wish she looked like her mother.

The New Girls

Peppy Forest

Drippy Drop
Hilayla2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla2 »

Hullabaloo News
Year 25 (9/21/95)

I feel things have been going pretty well with my Turks. I've been doing a major culling and by the end of this game year I will probably put up every horse that's not a Turk for sale. I've had two beautiful foals, a colt and filly. The colt has the best racing stats I've bred so far.

DS Honey Hug and Peppy Forest gave me a beautiful filly that looks just like her Granny!
Fire Forged Doll

This boy by Polygon takes after his mommy, Drippy Drop.

Hickory Chime

That's all the news that's news here.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hooplah News
Garme Year 40 (2/22/18)
Big news overall is that I upgraded my account this morning. I'll be going through the evaluation tab for the first time today. I'm already loving the extra turns.

In other news, I outcrossed a mare of each breed to the best stallion I could find (who happened to have gold movement) and the results were spectacular. I love these babies and I think their offspring will really help my breeds. I'm going to do it again but next time, I'll be looking for a stallion with flashy patterns to go with the stat's and HGP. I did not breed any horses this year because with the upgrade, I'll be taking a closer look at my stock and re-evaluating.

I'm trying to remember to show my horses more. They seem to pick up points well enough but they are aging out faster than I am getting them points. I'm hoping I can make them competitive enough to place without having to stop playing so they don't age out of shows. It's a lot harder in the disciplines where you can only enter one horse per player. I'm shooting for entering three competitions per day but I forget pretty often too.

At any rate that's what's going on here.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

Hooplah News
Garme Year 40 (2/25/18)

I've reached year 50!
I've spent some time culling my herd. My sales pasture is pretty much full all the time. I am having rehome the oldest horse I can to make room for new stock because I actually have foals now that are not always as good as their parents. I'm also rehoming almost every horse born with red stats now. I've outcrossed to improve stats and add some patterns but most of my horses are still solid. I'm also breeding only the two oldest mares of each breed now, usually to outside studs. First I check their progency to see if I have a replacement for mare and if so, I place her up for sale. This will prevent me from having one mare used constantly while overlooking others, I hope. I'm also confining myself to two mares per breed.

I have a harder time with my stallions. Unless they are show prospects or have something I really want in my herd they go straight up for sale. I forget to breed them sometimes because they end up in my show pasture and I'm still training myself to start looking there first for breeding prospects as they are, theoretically, my best horses.

I've decided to start trying for Tibetan Ponies but I intend to try to shoot for my first Manipuri foal born in the Spring of year 100. I think it would a nice milestone while giving me time to really improve the breeds I already have so that the first will hopefully be outstanding.

I'm showing more and some of horses have managed to be earners but with most of them being built for Western Pleasure, I'm having a hard time with showing them. There are not a lot of Western Pleasure shows running and they don't run often because their simply aren't enough entries. Same with the racing disciplines. It's rather disappointing to have a great horse get trained but be unable to show him because the competitions available are full but I have other horses entered into them. I'm thinking of looking for another "light horse" discipline to train and breed for, but I also have horses that are finally built for Dressage so the new foals may just go back to that. At least I could show all my horses.

Now for the breed updates and what I consider my best horse in each. I'm not counting the crosses, but only the purebreds.

Tarpan
I've taken this breed from a herd full of negative comments to actually having horses with green and gold stats. Outcrossing helped a lot.

Highest GP: 42,808
Cosmic Aspirations

While she isn't being trained and shown (My crosses are still outperforming my purebreds), She has the highest GP and gold intelligence.

Rockin Queen
GP:42.579

She has gold tempo and she can move! Movement is a big problem in most of the Tarpans I've seen so I'm really excited about this girl.

Przewalskis

Innocent Shadow is the only Purebred Przewalski I have at the moment. I've done too much outcrossing with this breed and I'm going to have work back towards pure.

GP:31,807

Mongolians

I'm making slow and steady progress with my Mongol herd. For the most part I am producing solidly average horses. Movement is still an issue and I need to add more strength as well.

Irresistible Illusion
GP: 39.849

He has pattern which is awesome, but he's as yet unbred.

Caramel Wine
GP: 39,327

While her stats are not nearly as good as Irresistible Illusion, her GP is almost as high.

Chinese Ponies

Evermore Changes
GP: 35,426

He's doesn't have the greatest breeder's report but he has the highest GP so far, that I've produced.

I'm really hoping the next 50 years sees me getting above average horses in every breed. I'm going to focus on breeding my crosses back to pure and try to get my first Manipuri born in year 100. I hope to be set on a discipline by then have competitive horses with titles in each breed.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

It's been a long while since I posted here but I just bred my first Manipuri! I'm really excited. It took 117 years to do it. I'll probably start phasing out the preliminary breeds now so I can focus on getting the Manipuri population up. Hopefully more will follow but if I have to cross her out, so be it. Anyway, my new baby:

Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Post by Hilayla »

HooplaH News

So I've spent the last few days breeding the heck out of my single Manipuri mare. Out of 13 foals, I've gotten three fillies. Her parents died without ever producing another Manipuri. She's 17 now and I have gone through her children and grandchildren (for the fillies) and now are working with 10 different sire lines, and 7 dam lines. While doing this, I also decided to go through all my horses and dig through pedigrees to separate all the different sire and dam lines. Sire lines are labeled with numbers and Dam lines are labeled with letters. I am in the process now of separating them back from dam and sire lined pastures into breeds each horse will be bred for. This will help me tell at a glance when crossbreeding whether two particular horses are related.

Stallions offspring are labeled with sire number and dam letter. Fillies take their dam's letter. So a horse sired by Sireline 1 out of Damline B would be labeled 1B. Once that horse is grown, I can see at a glance not to breed him to any B mares. If he has a colt out dam line C, his colt would be 1BC. The most serious drawback is the possibility of breeding father to daughter, but brother to sister or mother should not happen.

Over all my breeds, I have Dam lines A-Q and Sire lines 1-16. I'm sure I probably crossed lines somewhere that could make the COI of my horses go up temporarily, I'm hoping I will be able to see it go down in a few generations.
Hullabaloo News
I haven't bothered to keep my upgrade on this account because I'm mostly just breeding quest horses. I have another project in mind for the future on this account which will involve Starting with a horse from each breed and experiment with which breed and body style might end up being prevalent. I'm still working out the details. When I get ready to start importing horses for this project, I'll update it here.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Back in the Game

Post by Hilayla »

I took a break for a couple of years but I've been back for a few months now and I'm still trying to organize. I'm running recurring breed specific shows at the highest level I'm capable for all breeds currently residing on my ranch. My horses mostly compete against themselves so take championships with a grain of salt when looking around. I am happy to stud or reverse breed or even breed a foal from any of my horses if you ask.

My side is a mess as I'm dumping horses that I'm not currently using over there. I have some studs up there but mainly only take a turn if one of them runs out of energy. My focus is getting my main running better.

Spring, Game Year 189: I have determined a way of evaluating my horses which I will be testing out for the next 10 game years. Some of the points allocated to certain areas may need changing in the future. My basic notes on this system can be found below. I am now evaluating horses towards this standard. The goals and current standard for each individual herd can be found in their pasture notes.

With that system in mind, I'm currently getting rid of older stock and forming what will be the foundation herds for my projects. I still need to evaluate each horse's individual PES and then set a minimum PES for each breed.

Current Breeds: Tarpan, Przewalski Horse, Mongolian, Chinese Pony, Tibetan Pony, Manipuris.

Personal Evaluation Scores:

Horses are evaluated according to individual breed standards with points being allocated as follows. This is listed in the notes as the PES. Competition points are allocated at 1 point for each 10%. For instance, a horse with a win% of 27 would get 2 points. A horse with 98% would be awarded 9 points. Green and gold breeders comments get bonus points making it possible, though unlikely a horse could earn more than 100 points.

Breed Eval: 20*

5*= Full Points

4*=15

3*=10

2*=5

1* =1
N/A= 0

HGP <Breed Min: 20

COI >Breed Max: 15

Temperament: 15

Height: 10

Build: 10

Competition Win%: 10

Greens: 1

Golds: 2
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Re: Hil's Hooplah and Hullaballoo

Post by Hilayla »

Winter 194

I've continued breeding some while working out my plans. I've also started a spreadsheet to see where numbers are going up or down. I'm ever in need of more space so I'm not taking a lot of turns while I get things set up. I don't really like transferring horses between my accounts so I'm going to get rid rid of all my horses at Hullaballoo. Once that is done, I'll start breeding for quest completion over there. That's still an idea in my head. I've also discovered that I kinda like mohawk manes so I might try to make mohawk lines of each of my breeds. I am also starting to pay more attention to the little things like colors and patterns. Just in time too as I almost made everything bay. :roll:

I think my Evaluation is working. I've been tweaking it for each breed as I go. That info is kept in my Next Gen pasture for each breed. Horses stay there until it gets full and I pull out everything of breeding age and re-evaluate my standards.

I came across this pdf at critterhaven.biz that details a rescue breeding plan that is a summary of the American Livestock Breeders Conservancy's breeding plan for rare and endangered animals. I'll be posting in the next few days more about it as I plan on using to increase my numbers of Chinese pony's. Hopefully by studying the way it's done in real life I'll learn a thing or two about it.

My Mongolian numbers will be brought up by using a different method but I'm still working out the details of that in my head right now. However, if the Chinese Pony experiment goes well, I may use that for everything.

I've decided to try to stretch out my evaluations to once every five years. I think that's enough time to see if the direction my herd is heading. I've chosen competitions for each breed that go with the body type I'm aiming for (so far all Western Trail and Working Ranch). I am running breed specific show for each of my breeds. Details and links to both my farms can be found in the first post which I will be editing later to include a link to the spreadsheet I'm making for this. It's pretty simple since I'm evaluating things across each herd. Basically High/Low GP and COI, the number of purebreds. and PES range. I think that's about it for now. I'm always open to ideas or suggestions or even just chit chat about running our farms.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Spring 195

Post by Hilayla »

I've realized that every five years is too soon to do evaluations so I'm changing that to every five years. I'm almost to year 200. I still feel like newb. I've decided to move my Sumbas from Hullaballoo to Hooplah. I feel they need some love.

I'm waiting to finish skill training to own more horses so I can at least get all my Chinese Pony mares pregnant. The first part of that plan is as follows:

I'll be breeding the Project Ponies every spring so I can keep track of cycles. The goal is to create at least three distinct sirelines from a limited gene pool.

First Breeding Cycle: Breed Stallion (1) to all four Mares (A,B,C,D).

Second Breeding Cycle: Repeat Step 1 as no Colts are old enough to replace their father.

Third Breeding Cycle: Cull the original stallion. Divide Herd Into two smaller herds. Take the two best replacement stallions and place with a herd consisting of two unrelated mares and their daughters. Cull the replacement stallions after their offspring are born. Also cull any colts born to the daughters of the foundation mares.

These steps will take me around 15 game years. I have no idea how the COI or stats will be affected on this program. I'm simply following a plan created for sheep to see how it converts to HWO. Ideally I would start with all COI 0 animals but it is what it is. Now on to the ponies.

Subjugator

Subjugator will be the big daddy of all my Chinese Ponies. Why? He was the one I had. :P

His harem includes:

Moneystrike
I hope she passes on her sprinkles. The stallion has a few as well.

Lunatic

Gravesnare Subjugation

Slayshade
She's a cross because I don't have 4 mares. :D

Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Spring 196

Post by Hilayla »

Chinese Pony Conservation Project Update.

First Breeding Cycle: Breed Foundation Stallion (1) to all four Mares (A, B, C, D)

This step is complete. The first foal crop resulted in four colts. My first crop yielded:

1A

4* Chinese Pony
Pony, Medium
Calm
Red Movement
Green Balance
HGP: 33.536
COI: 21.19%
His red movement makes him the most disappointing so far.

1B

4 * Chinese Pony
Horse, Medium
Calm
HGP: 36.652
COI: 18.32%

1C

5* Chinese Pony
Pony, Medium
Calm
Green Balance
HGP: 40.169
COI: 28.83%

1D

2* Chinese Pony
Pony, Medium Heavy
Gold Balance
HGP: 35.857
COI: 34.06%

I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by all the horses so I think I may try phasing my Tarpans and Przewalskis into the three sub-breeds.
Become a Patron!