The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
It would be

I'm not sure if that 2nd one though is LP enhanced actually (as the dame is plume + leopard) and he may be too young (1.7 years) or poorly marked to show lp itself.

Dame Image
She's not a very strong varnisher, so you might have a point, he might carry varnish. His coat does have a slightly similar appearance as his mother.
It should be pretty obvious by about 4 years. That's when they start getting that bright white line along the girth area. Of course, it looks like on her, it's the molted neck that gives her away.
Aside from the snowflakes and blanket. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

I'll update this as I go through my fields & horses. But so far this is towards a complete "Plume" Summary

Silver Fetlocks

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4

Version 5 Feathered A

Version 6 Feathered B

Version 7 (rarest)

"Plume" Manes

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4 (Darkens with Age)
Image 4 years
Image 11 years
Image 11 years
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:...
You have an interesting theory that plume could be a form of silver.
Arabians from the AC don't carry silver. From the ones I sent you, the only non-AC horses in that line were the two that I used to instill a heavy-favoring genetic. One was a flaxen chestnut belgian:

And the other was a Silver Perlino Roan Pangare shetland:

He did not pass on the silver to any of his children:

Rather, the ones I sent to you, came from old-stock, AC arabians that some already had some visual plume. What I mean is, the project I pulled the ones I sent to you from, had a consistent influx of AC arab stock I purchased from the market, many of which had older ID numbers. Their direct offspring and grand-offspring were the ones that showed the plume, in addition to the AC arabs themselves in some cases showing the plume.

Since AC arabs don't have silver, it can't be the silver gene.

However... perhaps we're wrong, maybe AC arabs do contain or can contain a certain type of silver that's different from the others, just like AC prze.

Those two red ones of yours appear to be straight flaxen chestnuts, but it's amazing how the flaxen has taken over all of the legs, and how that flaxen has also appears to be mimicking the plume... or is that the plume mimicking the flaxen?
I do see a distinct different between flaxen and plume though, flaxen will color all of the fetlock, ankle and hoof area, whereas the plume will leave the anklet area alone. At least, so far it appears to.

And as for black, silver does color black, but many of the other genes get hidden by it, so this may be another that black overrules.

Thank you for the update! Still extremely interesting.
Have you tried seal brown (or whatever it is) it's quite close to black and I have definitely seen some AC Caspians with a bit o plume
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

ST0RM wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
You have an interesting theory that plume could be a form of silver.
Arabians from the AC don't carry silver. From the ones I sent you, the only non-AC horses in that line were the two that I used to instill a heavy-favoring genetic. One was a flaxen chestnut belgian:

And the other was a Silver Perlino Roan Pangare shetland:

He did not pass on the silver to any of his children:

Rather, the ones I sent to you, came from old-stock, AC arabians that some already had some visual plume. What I mean is, the project I pulled the ones I sent to you from, had a consistent influx of AC arab stock I purchased from the market, many of which had older ID numbers. Their direct offspring and grand-offspring were the ones that showed the plumeYo, in addition to the AC arabs themselves in some cases showing the plume.

Since AC arabs don't have silver, it can't be the silver gene.

However... perhaps we're wrong, maybe AC arabs do contain or can contain a certain type of silver that's different from the others, just like AC prze.

Those two red ones of yours appear to be straight flaxen chestnuts, but it's amazing how the flaxen has taken over all of the legs, and how that flaxen has also appears to be mimicking the plume... or is that the plume mimicking the flaxen?
I do see a distinct different between flaxen and plume though, flaxen will color all of the fetlock, ankle and hoof area, whereas the plume will leave the anklet area alone. At least, so far it appears to.

And as for black, silver does color black, but many of the other genes get hidden by it, so this may be another that black overrules.

Thank you for the update! Still extremely interesting.
Have you tried seal brown (or whatever it is) it's quite close to black and I have definitely seen some AC Caspians with a bit o plume
You also might want to try AC NAB's. Yes they are unreliable as glitches but sometimes I see some with with lack of better words a mid tail plume, it would be cool if you could have bands of plume throughout the tail
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

ST0RM wrote:
ST0RM wrote: Have you tried seal brown (or whatever it is) it's quite close to black and I have definitely seen some AC Caspians with a bit o plume
You also might want to try AC NAB's. Yes they are unreliable as glitches but sometimes I see some with with lack of better words a mid tail plume, it would be cool if you could have bands of plume throughout the tail
Also, with the Shetlands when they have those bushy grey manes if that and expression of plume
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

ST0RM wrote:Have you tried seal brown (or whatever it is) it's quite close to black and I have definitely seen some AC Caspians with a bit o plume
I am in the midst of using seal brown. I've never seen an AC Caspian with plume??

ST0RM wrote:You also might want to try AC NAB's. Yes they are unreliable as glitches but sometimes I see some with with lack of better words a mid tail plume, it would be cool if you could have bands of plume throughout the tail
That's not plume that's poorly marked sabino/paint coloring on the tail.

ST0RM wrote:Also, with the Shetlands when they have those bushy grey manes if that and expression of plume
That's not plume that's grey and/or leopard discoloring.
Plume Horse Association

Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Newest find. There's already "flaxen chestnuts" so this is just an add on that color.
Plume Horse Association

ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

Gaagii wrote:
ST0RM wrote:Have you tried seal brown (or whatever it is) it's quite close to black and I have definitely seen some AC Caspians with a bit o plume
I am in the midst of using seal brown. I've never seen an AC Caspian with plume??

ST0RM wrote:You also might want to try AC NAB's. Yes they are unreliable as glitches but sometimes I see some with with lack of better words a mid tail plume, it would be cool if you could have bands of plume throughout the tail

ST0RM wrote:Also, with the Shetlands when they have those bushy grey manes if that and expression of plume
LOL well apparently I'm bad a this [no surprise] AC caspians has a TEENSY TINY bit of plume
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

ST0RM wrote:
Gaagii wrote:

LOL well apparently I'm bad a this [no surprise] AC caspians has a TEENSY TINY bit of plume
You'll have to show me as I've never seen one.
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

Gaagii wrote:
ST0RM wrote: LOL well apparently I'm bad a this [no surprise] AC caspians has a TEENSY TINY bit of plume
You'll have to show me as I've never seen one.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2466725 There is a good pic in the gallery
ST0RM [with a zero]

Proud Breeder of:

Dressage Trakehner's
High quality Belgians
Sable Island ponies
~~~~~~~~~~~
My custom breeding page
My Google Site
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:07 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:07 am