The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Color Study ('plume' mane - odd pale/two-toned manes)

Post by BlackOak2 »

Gaagii wrote:
Yep. Room & time. Ah jeez... But this game's fantastic for the breeding/genes compared to some.

And yeah know about the adoption centers - thanks a bunch for the advice still - it's why I use them mostly.
I haven't looked recently, but with all the game's I've played, there just isn't much competition. Other than real life, that is. Plus, it's also fair too. Some games... rather most games... are getting too one-sided. So it's certainly nice to find our admins making and keeping the game easily fair. It really doesn't take much to start from nothing as a newbie and get to the 'top' of the game. Except, there's so much more than just a straight shot.

Oops... and I'm off topic. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Just wanted to note for you guys that if the plume is related to agouti as you have theorized, it most likely won't show on brown. From what I've observed, it's not black hair being diluted but rather the red hairs that extend into the mane, tail, and lower legs. Kind of like a bay version of flaxen. But on a brown horse you don't have any red hairs that extend into the mane, tail, or lower legs so there wouldn't be anything to show the plume, the same way there are no red hairs to show plume on a black horse.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Thanks

And that's quite alright about your own horses, the ones you linked I'll buy/use. I'm probably gonna breed some myself in a bit - gotta clear some room - anyway. I just keep putting it off lol.
Room... it's always the room!
But if there wasn't a limit... it'd take me literally, DAYS to get through each turn. I'd have way too many projects running. :lol:
:roll: I like breeding the horses... it's fun to see the generations evolve.

AC Forest horses usually have a lot of browns and no hidden dilution genes, except for that dun and pangare. So in a pinch, it's safe enough to use them.

And caspians are easy for empty genes too. If you can find a black one, you don't need to worry about agouti mixed in or anything else but dun. So at least it gives you a fairly blank canvas to work with.

But you know all that already. :mrgreen:
Another aside - AC Turks are great for brown without hidden genes. The only dilutions that pop up there are cream and dun, which are easy to spot on the AC browns.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Just wanted to note for you guys that if the plume is related to agouti as you have theorized, it most likely won't show on brown. From what I've observed, it's not black hair being diluted but rather the red hairs that extend into the mane, tail, and lower legs. Kind of like a bay version of flaxen. But on a brown horse you don't have any red hairs that extend into the mane, tail, or lower legs so there wouldn't be anything to show the plume, the same way there are no red hairs to show plume on a black horse.
Thanks a bunch for the info. I've been entertaining a similar idea in the back of my mind & that's why I want to try brown as I see brown as been the "final test" if you would.

The only thing is this is the odd "flaxen chestnuts" that sometimes crop up. If it was red, unless I'm too tired to think clearly (it's 3am here), shouldn't the whole body discolor?
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

Gaagii wrote:ping
Since you have more knowledge on the plume gene could you help me out with this horse?

I saw his stud add while looking for a plume stud and his picture definitely shows the plume gene on his tail

If you go to his profile and see the horse that has now aged 15 years from when the picture was taken you can see that there is no sign of the plume gene on his tail.

Why is that? It is not like it is blocked by hair (like the mane when it falls over and covers the plume gene)

The horse does not carry the sooty gene since if it did then maybe the plume on his tail would of been covered up.

So what is going on? Does the plume gene fade away as the horse grows? Or is it a glitch?

Same with this horse http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/12009 only this one's plume gene on his mane is really visible as well but again now I do not think that there is even the faintest stripe of hair on his mane that shows that he might be carrying it
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Veterinarian wrote:
Gaagii wrote:ping
Since you have more knowledge on the plume gene could you help me out with this horse?

I saw his stud add while looking for a plume stud and his picture definitely shows the plume gene on his tail

If you go to his profile and see the horse that has now aged 15 years from when the picture was taken you can see that there is no sign of the plume gene on his tail.

Why is that? It is not like it is blocked by hair (like the mane when it falls over and covers the plume gene)

The horse does not carry the sooty gene since if it did then maybe the plume on his tail would of been covered up.

So what is going on? Does the plume gene fade away as the horse grows? Or is it a glitch?

Same with this horse http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/12009 only this one's plume gene on his mane is really visible as well but again now I do not think that there is even the faintest stripe of hair on his mane that shows that he might be carrying it
According to Tom (as I asked) those are glitch horses if I remember correctly. The versions are, I believe, no longer available right now. That may change.
Plume Horse Association

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

Gaagii wrote: According to Tom (as I asked) those are glitch horses if I remember correctly. The versions are, I believe, no longer available right now. That may change.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up!
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Veterinarian wrote:
Gaagii wrote: According to Tom (as I asked) those are glitch horses if I remember correctly. The versions are, I believe, no longer available right now. That may change.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up!
Yep. I tried them when they were available for stud with some of my "plumes" and they didn't do anything, hence why I questioned what was up about them.
Plume Horse Association

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

Gaagii wrote:
Veterinarian wrote: Alright, thanks for clearing that up!
Yep. I tried them when they were available for stud with some of my "plumes" and they didn't do anything, hence why I questioned what was up about them.
Well I am glad you figured it out :lol:

Btw I have a few questions if you do not mind answering lol

Is it possible for horses to only have limited expression of the plume gene on only a section of their tails?

In real life when a horse has the plume gene on his tail, the plume does not always start from the very top of his tail but sometimes is limited at the end of his tail. I have seen a few horses here that do that (just white on only the middle of their tail) but I still am wary of it being just the tobiano gene.

Maybe this is question is off topic but I have seen many horses (usually Chestnut horses, palomino actually) have white/blue/dark strikes on their hair

An example of the white strikes of hair is this horse http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/476875
Take a look at his 1.97 year picture if you also see his offsprings (and their offsprings etc) you will see all of the colours I mentioned above.
Some horses actually are born with white strikes then as they grow the strikes become blue and the black.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:
Gaagii wrote:
Well I am glad you figured it out :lol:

Btw I have a few questions if you do not mind answering lol

Is it possible for horses to only have limited expression of the plume gene on only a section of their tails?

In real life when a horse has the plume gene on his tail, the plume does not always start from the very top of his tail but sometimes is limited at the end of his tail. I have seen a few horses here that do that (just white on only the middle of their tail) but I still am wary of it being just the tobiano gene.

Maybe this is question is off topic but I have seen many horses (usually Chestnut horses, palomino actually) have white/blue/dark strikes on their hair

An example of the white strikes of hair is this horse http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/476875
Take a look at his 1.97 year picture if you also see his offsprings (and their offsprings etc) you will see all of the colours I mentioned above.
Some horses actually are born with white strikes then as they grow the strikes become blue and the black.
I'm not sure about the other horses you might have seen on here, but the horse you linked and his offspring, I'd say it's from the Lp gene. I've seen this happen quite often with Lp horses without any visual plume. Especially in my tarpan lines.

But of course, I can be wrong. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm