The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The Perfectly Formulated Horse Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

View the forum where I introduced the idea here:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =8&t=22766

Working on reevaluating all the horses!

This is our neat little scale that we will use to determine where a horses conformation ranges. (Thank you BlackOak2 :D ) it ranges from -5 to +5. -5 doesn’t necessarily mean bad and +5 doesn’t necessarily mean good. It is just a means to see how far away the horse is from the end of each side of the slider bar. 0 means the horse is right in the middle, 3 means it is about at the 1/4 mark, and 5 means is is all the way to the end. The score for the face profile of the horse above, for example, would be in between 0 and +1, closer to 0. If the green bar on the slider is touching one of the red lines, I am going to count it as It shown. I will be using the middle )blue) line on the green indicator to see what number it is closer to. I will try and do a direct comparison when evaluating each horse because I plan on keeping a relatively small herd. I may change this a bit in the future, but you have questions ask

Evaluate guide:

Jowl:

Neck:

Shoulder Angle:

Point of Shoulder

Haunch

Stifle

Back

Build

Movement score in conformation

Highest score in conformation

comments:
Last edited by RoyalCrownAcres on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

So I decided to start with breeding a horse that has the perfect movement conformation because i figured it would be the easiest place to start off seeing that i breed dressage gypsy Vanners (movement is the most important stat). I went on the market and carefully evaluated each horse (mild exaggeration :lol: ) based on these stats that i determined earlier from staring at the conformation panel of one of horses for way too long.

They need to have:

Shallow jowl
Medium neck
Sloping shoulders
Low point of shoulder
Flat haunch
Back set stifle
Uphill build

I purchased 3 mares (all under between $45 and $752. Very happy about that) and found a few studs that i liked and paired them up.

Mare #1

This is Sanora. She is an Arabian mare that I decided to buy because she has a pretty shallow jowl( which is a lot harder to find than i thought) and because the point of her shoulder is almost almost as low as you can get. She has a really long neck, but hopefully i breed that out pretty quickly with the stud i chose for her. I do wish her shoulder was a bit more sloped. Her hip is pretty decently flat (which was also pretty hard to find without having a horse that had a really thick jowl for some reason). Now her stifle is waayyyy forward, which is the total opposite of what i want so that will need fixed. However, she has a pretty downhill build, so I’m hoping the negatives start to turn into positives with her first foal.

Stud #1
Owned by Kylee

I got exited when I found this stud. He looks a bit wonky, but is actually pretty great in terms of a match with this mare (in most areas). In his summary, hi movement score is 10 highest than the next highest score (does that make sense at all :lol: ). His jowl isn’t the most shallow, but that is one of the few negatives with this stallion. His shoulders could be more sloped, but the point of his shoulder? As low as it can go! I figured if i bred him to a mare that is almost at his point in terms of point of shoulder, i can get a head start in that department. His haunch is pretty flat, so not too concerned there for the moment, and he is also fairly uphill built. His stifle is fairly backwards set so i hope that helps even out the mares.

Mare #2

I had doubt’s this mare would turn out to be anything when i first saw her sale ad. But I took a look anyways and I cant say i regret it. I’m also not the most happy about it. Her jowl is just slightly on the shallow side of the bar but her neck is very short. I figured i could use this to help balance out the over-abundance of giraffe horses. Lol. She has a slightly upright shoulder (sigh) but she has a pretty low point of her shoulder. Her hip could Surely be flatter and her stifle could definitely e more backwards, but she is very uphill. And she is one the only horses that i found that had an uphill build and not also a neck that rivals the Empire State Building. :lol:

Stud #2
Owned by cryptic56

This stud also looks a bit wonky at first glance but I’ve learned to set looks aside. His movement is again, 10 points or more higher than all his other confo stats, so that kind of set the bar high. He has a really shallow jowl (yay) and a slightly long neck. I wish his shoulders were more sloped. And his shoulder point? Don’t talk to me about it. It is pretty high. He has an okay flat haunch but his stifle is pretty darn backwards. He is also almost as uphill as you can get. Woo! I will probably use this stud a few times.

Mare #3

I pretty much bought this mare for one thing and one thing only. Her stifle. It is almost completely backwards. (Celebration *throws confetti) She has a pretty shallow jowl and a slightly long neck, but the neck i can work with. Her shoulder is pretty sloped and the point relatively low. She has a kinda flat haunch (I’m beginning to see a problem, are you too?) She does have a kinda downhill build though. So boo. But i will probably breed this mare to stud 2. Just to see what happens. Because they are both young. Also, I have a feeling this is going to end up being my favorite mare. :D

stud #3
Owned by Pyon

I gotta say. This stallion reminds me of my pug. Really short neck and legs that look too long. :lol: But I was hoping his stubby neck would combat Mare 3 long neck. He has a relatively shallow jowl and a pretty sloped shoulder. His point of should is almost half and half. He has a very flat haunch and a pretty backwards stifle. He is also pretty downhill. I have a feeling he will end of fathering at least a few foals in the program because of his traits.

Hopefully, the foals will be on the ground tomorrow and we will be able to see the result of how my first round of breedings are going. The first few “rounds” are really going to be experimental so I can see how traits interact with each other. If anyone had anything to add or say or ask feel free to REPLY!!
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: The Perfectly Formulated Horse Log

Post by ST0RM »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:

Working on adding the first post!
Look around my farm to see if anything helps you. If I wanted to create a new breed (name, eval, etc) how would I do that? How is Vesta?
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

ST0RM wrote:
RoyalCrownAcres wrote:

Working on adding the first post!
Look around my farm to see if anything helps you. If I wanted to create a new breed (name, eval, etc) how would I do that? How is Vesta?
She’s good! I haven’t seen what her foal looks like because images aren’t working for me at the moment. Do you mean create a new breed from scratch as in an original bred from your mind or to create one already on the game
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
ST0RM wrote: Look around my farm to see if anything helps you. If I wanted to create a new breed (name, eval, etc) how would I do that? How is Vesta?
She’s good! I haven’t seen what her foal looks like because images aren’t working for me at the moment. Do you mean create a new breed from scratch as in an original bred from your mind or to create one already on the game
An original breed.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

ST0RM wrote:
RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
An original breed.
I contacted the admin first (Tom and Larissar) to make sure it was okay first. After I had a for sure okay, I made the most in-depth guidelines I possibly could. Here is mine. I would definitely reach out to admin to get a solid okay AFTER you make sure you can handle the upkeep and understand all the ins out outs of the game.
askeek
Visit My Farm

Post by askeek »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
So I decided to start with breeding a horse that has the perfect movement conformation because i figured it would be the easiest place to start off seeing that i breed dressage gypsy Vanners (movement is the most important stat). I went on the market and carefully evaluated each horse (mild exaggeration :lol: ) based on these stats that i determined earlier from staring at the conformation panel of one of horses for way too long.

They need to have:

Shallow jowl
Medium neck
Sloping shoulders
Low point of shoulder
Flat haunch
Back set stifle
Uphill build

I purchased 3 mares (all under between $45 and $752. Very happy about that) and found a few studs that i liked and paired them up.

Mare #1

This is Sanora. She is an Arabian mare that I decided to buy because she has a pretty shallow jowl( which is a lot harder to find than i thought) and because the point of her shoulder is almost almost as low as you can get. She has a really long neck, but hopefully i breed that out pretty quickly with the stud i chose for her. I do wish her shoulder was a bit more sloped. Her hip is pretty decently flat (which was also pretty hard to find without having a horse that had a really thick jowl for some reason). Now her stifle is waayyyy forward, which is the total opposite of what i want so that will need fixed. However, she has a pretty downhill build, so I’m hoping the negatives start to turn into positives with her first foal.

Stud #1
Owned by Kylee

I got exited when I found this stud. He looks a bit wonky, but is actually pretty great in terms of a match with this mare (in most areas). In his summary, hi movement score is 10 highest than the next highest score (does that make sense at all :lol: ). His jowl isn’t the most shallow, but that is one of the few negatives with this stallion. His shoulders could be more sloped, but the point of his shoulder? As low as it can go! I figured if i bred him to a mare that is almost at his point in terms of point of shoulder, i can get a head start in that department. His haunch is pretty flat, so not too concerned there for the moment, and he is also fairly uphill built. His stifle is fairly backwards set so i hope that helps even out the mares.

Mare #2

I had doubt’s this mare would turn out to be anything when i first saw her sale ad. But I took a look anyways and I cant say i regret it. I’m also not the most happy about it. Her jowl is just slightly on the shallow side of the bar but her neck is very short. I figured i could use this to help balance out the over-abundance of giraffe horses. Lol. She has a slightly upright shoulder (sigh) but she has a pretty low point of her shoulder. Her hip could Surely be flatter and her stifle could definitely e more backwards, but she is very uphill. And she is one the only horses that i found that had an uphill build and not also a neck that rivals the Empire State Building. :lol:

Stud #2
Owned by cryptic56

This stud also looks a bit wonky at first glance but I’ve learned to set looks aside. His movement is again, 10 points or more higher than all his other confo stats, so that kind of set the bar high. He has a really shallow jowl (yay) and a slightly long neck. I wish his shoulders were more sloped. And his shoulder point? Don’t talk to me about it. It is pretty high. He has an okay flat haunch but his stifle is pretty darn backwards. He is also almost as uphill as you can get. Woo! I will probably use this stud a few times.

Mare #3

I pretty much bought this mare for one thing and one thing only. Her stifle. It is almost completely backwards. (Celebration *throws confetti) She has a pretty shallow jowl and a slightly long neck, but the neck i can work with. Her shoulder is pretty sloped and the point relatively low. She has a kinda flat haunch (I’m beginning to see a problem, are you too?) She does have a kinda downhill build though. So boo. But i will probably breed this mare to stud 2. Just to see what happens. Because they are both young. Also, I have a feeling this is going to end up being my favorite mare. :D

stud #3
Owned by Pyon

I gotta say. This stallion reminds me of my pug. Really short neck and legs that look too long. :lol: But I was hoping his stubby neck would combat Mare 3 long neck. He has a relatively shallow jowl and a pretty sloped shoulder. His point of should is almost half and half. He has a very flat haunch and a pretty backwards stifle. He is also pretty downhill. I have a feeling he will end of fathering at least a few foals in the program because of his traits.

Hopefully, the foals will be on the ground tomorrow and we will be able to see the result of how my first round of breedings are going. The first few “rounds” are really going to be experimental so I can see how traits interact with each other. If anyone had anything to add or say or ask feel free to REPLY!!
Hey! I love this idea and I've been slowly trying to do something similar with my Arabians. I'm not sure if you're looking for any mares or studs right now but let me know if there's anything I can contribute!
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

The Perfectly Formulated Horse Log: post 2

So I am finally doing the foals from the first set of mares. I plan on maybe using one or two of the studs again, but it will most likely be the last time I use these studs. I’ve decided not to care about in—breeding for this project Because I feel it is going to bewaytoo hard to find studs with the features I am looking for. (For some reason, no what horse i am breeding, i get WAY more fillies than colts.) Here are the Evals for the foals

Mare 3 + stud 3

This foal was a decently shallow jowl, which is actually more shallow than i was expecting based on the parents. Happy about that. she does have along neck, which is longer than i expected it to be. I knew it would still be long, but not as long as it is. She has a Very sloped shoulder. The stallion she is by is now dead so I can no longer view his confo, only look at the snarky comments I made late at night when making my first post. :lol: The foals shoulder is. Slightly more sloped than moms’ so seeing improvement there. Her shoulder angle is almost perfectly in the middle. Just ever so slightly leaning to the high side. It seems to be same has the sire, which I am disappointed about being moms POS is pretty low. The hip is pretty long and a bit flat, it seemed not to move from moms actually. Stifle is almost completely backward *throws confetti* :mrgreen: the back is kinda short and the horse is Getting on up there to being uphill (hehe)

BREEDING FOR: BACKWARDS STIFLE

Mare 2 + Stud 2

Another little filly. She has a kinds shallow jowl Which is almost exactly where I though it would be. Her neck is as well (kinda short)she has a very sloped shoulder but on lay a sort of low POS. she has a slightly sloped hip but it is pretty long. She has a very nicely back set stifle. She has a pretty long back but is almost completely uphill!

BREEDING FOR: UPHILL BUILD

Mare 1 + Stud 1

“Complaints”
only a kinds shallow jowl
Kinda sloped POS

Actual complaint:
Very long neck
Very long back
Almost middle stifle :cry:

Good Things:
HAS AS LOW OF A POS AS YOU CAN GET!!!
Very flat hip
(Just realized hiplength doesn’t matter??)

BREEDING FOR: FLAT HIP

(Might start doing this format for each horse) :lol:
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
ST0RM wrote: An original breed.
I contacted the admin first (Tom and Larissar) to make sure it was okay first. After I had a for sure okay, I made the most in-depth guidelines I possibly could. Here is mine. I would definitely reach out to admin to get a solid okay AFTER you make sure you can handle the upkeep and understand all the ins out outs of the game.
I see you like Quinn to!
ST0RM
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by ST0RM »

ST0RM wrote:
RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
I see you like Quinn to! Is there anything on my farm that interests you? I duno any of the requirements of atonomy so...
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm