The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

HorseGalLovi's Farm Log!

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
HorseGalLovi
Visit My Farm

HorseGalLovi's Farm Log!

Post by HorseGalLovi »

ok so i have never done one of these before, but here i go!:
my goals:
- have a 10,000+ Colt/Stallion.
- have a 10,000+ Filly/Mare.
- start my own line for Arabians, Mustangs, Shetland Ponies, and Akhal-Tekes.
(if anyone has any of the above please pm me, if you have premium, to help me!)

thanks in advance!

also im going to be start my herd all over, so will have lots of horses for sale! (if interested please pm me as well!).
HorseGalLovi
Visit My Farm

Re: HorseGalLovi's Farm Log!

Post by HorseGalLovi »

and i need help pricing my horses
HorseGalLovi
Visit My Farm

Post by HorseGalLovi »

also if anyone has any newborn foals they dont want, dont rehome them, ill take them i need newborn foals to practice train on
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

HorseGalLovi wrote:and i need help pricing my horses
If you're looking to dump your horses quick, underpricing would be the way to go. If you're not looking to get them gone too quick, because you have time, then I can offer you some insight on a couple randoms in your herd to help guide you to appropriate prices.

Also, this guide should help enlighten you a bit as well:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15900

Now for the random horses and some additional information.

First, any horse that's over 16 years 11 months, the next owner is risking death 'on the next turn', so any of these horses will have sometimes a vast decrease in price, for this primary reason. So any horse older than this may not sell at all, or only sell for minimum pricing. However, this doesn't mean that they won't. They will need to have something that the buyer just can't pass up. Something like really high speed (or strength) and a great comment, being the parent of a super-successful foal or having an exceptional competition record. These horses can still rake in a LOT of money, even when at a 'near-death' state.
Second, horse that are fully trained or trained to a discipline can have at least a base price of 25k (with the exception of those under 45 HGP) to cover the training cost and be sold as a 'grinder status' This usually works for any horse that is 15 years and under.
Lastly, opening a sale-topic that lists all of your sale horses with important information can highlight your horses much quicker and make going over their beneficial information much quicker. Our market sales page is fine, but as I'm sure you're aware of, looking through Every Listing is time consuming and ends up becoming tedious, so if perusing the sales page, it can so quickly degenerate into barely seeing and then so many horses are so easily overlooked.

I've included some questions to help you figure out where the worth might be for the horses.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2656230
Prze x Exmoor (Is this a recipe breed? Can it be used to make another breed?) No, it doesn't appear so.
HGP - low, Low Gp Project. Very limited interest and though worth a lot, won't be purchased for much beyond maybe 20k at most. Though, arguably, some Low Gp project people (me included) might end up purchasing him for quite a bit. It's a niche market and demand is very sketchy.
This is about where this horse ends. His value is in the Low Gp project and almost nowhere else.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2645363
Purebred Kathiawari (Is this a rare breed?) Not particularly, though it is pretty uncommon.
(Breed creation?) 3 breed: Baluchi; Indianbred; Marwari
HGP - relatively high, in an acceptable area.
BR versus scores are about average, nothing great, nothing bad, fairly balanced.
This horse at the very least could make a quality grinder.
He appears to be a flat, silver bay, so for rarity of color, that's not there.
His COI is alright, for an uncommon breed, COI in the 40's is not bad, but it's not great, so this is also not his strong suit.
He also doesn't appear to come from a line of tested horses, so even though his great-grandfather has a title, he's an 'unknown' for competition stock. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't offer any boost to his final price.
He doesn't appear to have any foals (I didn't check to see if there are any pregnant mares by him on your farm though). Some people prefer horses without foals, while others want pre-tested studs. For pre-tested, in a lot of cases, it can vastly increase stud-sale price, if the foals are shown to be successful in competitions or if the stud comes from a line of competition recorded ancestors, then having foals, tested or not, can offer a further glimpse into the capability of the stallion. In this colt's case, not having any foals might be the better bet for him, as it can but not necessarily will, offer more interest for those that are specifically looking for an untested colt for breeding purposes.
(So what are other horses of this breed currently priced at on market?) First, there are 11 horses that are for sale. There are 4 that are 'open sale' and none of these are priced very high at all. Of these, all of them are at approximately the same HGP and BR versus score level that your horse is. One of them is a double cream and the others are not of too unusual color.
So it doesn't appear these are going for too much money as is. I would suggest toting that he's possible good grinder material and put a buyout of 10k. For grinder-resellers (those that purchase potential grinders from the market to train up and sell as grinders), he should find a good home, a fairly quick sale and should offer income enough for the reseller to purchase him for 10k. HOWEVER... That doesn't mean he WILL sell for that price. When I go through to purchase grinder stock, I'll go for the cheapest I can find, take half an hour or an hour, go through all the horses I can find usually under a year old and choose from the... like 20 possible candidates. So he's worth at least 10k for grinder potential in my book, but that doesn't mean he'll sell for that.
However, I do feel that offering him as grinder material would be the best way to get him gone, if that's your plan.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2661561
purebred arabian
This breed is useful for a LOT of recipe breeds. But the arabian is also easy and cheap to get.
Most of these are usually sold as grinders because it increases their value the most.
HGP - high end. Scores - fairly high. BR versus scores - decently good.
This horse is an all-around strong candidate for grinder or breeder.
COI is a little high, considering arabians are EVERYWHERE. But not everybody cares about COI.
This horse also does come down from grandsires that have been tested, but not since then. So relatively unknown, but not entirely unknown.
As a blanketed arabian, some people would consider this a 'rare coat' but I do not since I tend to see them for sale and for stud quite often.
He is also falling outside of his breed standard, so that's another downside.
When you have a horse that has so many positives, it's actually easier to highlight (for yourself) the negatives first, then allow his (or her) best traits come out from that. In this case, I'd say his strength comment and score reveals a relatively decent strength gene and the potential for throwing some good stock. What the real question is, what type of competition heart he might have.
If you're careful about how you type his ad, he could net you quite some profit, even almost untrained as he now is. To give you an idea, one of our top supplies of arabian grinders, sell fully trained grinders that look much like your colt at a base price of 100k and goes up from there.
Remember, 'grinder' is the 'base price' of usability. Almost any horse on here has the capability to become a bread & butter grinder.
I am hesitating to name a price on him as he now stands though. I like him, I know where his bloodlines are from, it's a newly (or fairly) newly established line, but I know the breeding tactics used. The COI is what's pulling me down a bit.
I'd say, with the right buyer, looking for him at just the right time, with just the right wording in the ad... I can see him going for a good 80k. However... or maybe I'd say otherwise, since his COI is relatively high for his breed, and the ease of finding others that share his stats... I'd say you might be lucky if he sells fast for 45k.

Pricing is a difficult thing. For those you can't make a decision on, put it a little higher with an OBO. For those you want to go quick, think of the price you WANT to get and decrease it by about 25% to 50%. For those you can wait on (preferably without aging, because aging will decrease price), stick to a firm price of somewhere about 10% more than the minimum of what you want for it.

If the horses don't show any interest... decreasing could be the right move... but it could also mean that your buyers just aren't looking for them right now. One day, a horse could sell for a million on here, then on the very next day, you won't be able to get rid of them for $1. In some cases, the market just isn't there... kind of never there. And in other cases, a horse will always have a value, though that value can migrate quite a bit between a low end and a high end.
It is... painful at times to sell.

Good Luck!
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
HorseGalLovi
Visit My Farm

Post by HorseGalLovi »

BlackOak2 wrote:
HorseGalLovi wrote:and i need help pricing my horses
If you're looking to dump your horses quick, underpricing would be the way to go. If you're not looking to get them gone too quick, because you have time, then I can offer you some insight on a couple randoms in your herd to help guide you to appropriate prices.

Also, this guide should help enlighten you a bit as well:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15900

Now for the random horses and some additional information.

First, any horse that's over 16 years 11 months, the next owner is risking death 'on the next turn', so any of these horses will have sometimes a vast decrease in price, for this primary reason. So any horse older than this may not sell at all, or only sell for minimum pricing. However, this doesn't mean that they won't. They will need to have something that the buyer just can't pass up. Something like really high speed (or strength) and a great comment, being the parent of a super-successful foal or having an exceptional competition record. These horses can still rake in a LOT of money, even when at a 'near-death' state.
Second, horse that are fully trained or trained to a discipline can have at least a base price of 25k (with the exception of those under 45 HGP) to cover the training cost and be sold as a 'grinder status' This usually works for any horse that is 15 years and under.
Lastly, opening a sale-topic that lists all of your sale horses with important information can highlight your horses much quicker and make going over their beneficial information much quicker. Our market sales page is fine, but as I'm sure you're aware of, looking through Every Listing is time consuming and ends up becoming tedious, so if perusing the sales page, it can so quickly degenerate into barely seeing and then so many horses are so easily overlooked.

I've included some questions to help you figure out where the worth might be for the horses.
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2656230
Prze x Exmoor (Is this a recipe breed? Can it be used to make another breed?) No, it doesn't appear so.
HGP - low, Low Gp Project. Very limited interest and though worth a lot, won't be purchased for much beyond maybe 20k at most. Though, arguably, some Low Gp project people (me included) might end up purchasing him for quite a bit. It's a niche market and demand is very sketchy.
This is about where this horse ends. His value is in the Low Gp project and almost nowhere else.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2645363
Purebred Kathiawari (Is this a rare breed?) Not particularly, though it is pretty uncommon.
(Breed creation?) 3 breed: Baluchi; Indianbred; Marwari
HGP - relatively high, in an acceptable area.
BR versus scores are about average, nothing great, nothing bad, fairly balanced.
This horse at the very least could make a quality grinder.
He appears to be a flat, silver bay, so for rarity of color, that's not there.
His COI is alright, for an uncommon breed, COI in the 40's is not bad, but it's not great, so this is also not his strong suit.
He also doesn't appear to come from a line of tested horses, so even though his great-grandfather has a title, he's an 'unknown' for competition stock. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't offer any boost to his final price.
He doesn't appear to have any foals (I didn't check to see if there are any pregnant mares by him on your farm though). Some people prefer horses without foals, while others want pre-tested studs. For pre-tested, in a lot of cases, it can vastly increase stud-sale price, if the foals are shown to be successful in competitions or if the stud comes from a line of competition recorded ancestors, then having foals, tested or not, can offer a further glimpse into the capability of the stallion. In this colt's case, not having any foals might be the better bet for him, as it can but not necessarily will, offer more interest for those that are specifically looking for an untested colt for breeding purposes.
(So what are other horses of this breed currently priced at on market?) First, there are 11 horses that are for sale. There are 4 that are 'open sale' and none of these are priced very high at all. Of these, all of them are at approximately the same HGP and BR versus score level that your horse is. One of them is a double cream and the others are not of too unusual color.
So it doesn't appear these are going for too much money as is. I would suggest toting that he's possible good grinder material and put a buyout of 10k. For grinder-resellers (those that purchase potential grinders from the market to train up and sell as grinders), he should find a good home, a fairly quick sale and should offer income enough for the reseller to purchase him for 10k. HOWEVER... That doesn't mean he WILL sell for that price. When I go through to purchase grinder stock, I'll go for the cheapest I can find, take half an hour or an hour, go through all the horses I can find usually under a year old and choose from the... like 20 possible candidates. So he's worth at least 10k for grinder potential in my book, but that doesn't mean he'll sell for that.
However, I do feel that offering him as grinder material would be the best way to get him gone, if that's your plan.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2661561
purebred arabian
This breed is useful for a LOT of recipe breeds. But the arabian is also easy and cheap to get.
Most of these are usually sold as grinders because it increases their value the most.
HGP - high end. Scores - fairly high. BR versus scores - decently good.
This horse is an all-around strong candidate for grinder or breeder.
COI is a little high, considering arabians are EVERYWHERE. But not everybody cares about COI.
This horse also does come down from grandsires that have been tested, but not since then. So relatively unknown, but not entirely unknown.
As a blanketed arabian, some people would consider this a 'rare coat' but I do not since I tend to see them for sale and for stud quite often.
He is also falling outside of his breed standard, so that's another downside.
When you have a horse that has so many positives, it's actually easier to highlight (for yourself) the negatives first, then allow his (or her) best traits come out from that. In this case, I'd say his strength comment and score reveals a relatively decent strength gene and the potential for throwing some good stock. What the real question is, what type of competition heart he might have.
If you're careful about how you type his ad, he could net you quite some profit, even almost untrained as he now is. To give you an idea, one of our top supplies of arabian grinders, sell fully trained grinders that look much like your colt at a base price of 100k and goes up from there.
Remember, 'grinder' is the 'base price' of usability. Almost any horse on here has the capability to become a bread & butter grinder.
I am hesitating to name a price on him as he now stands though. I like him, I know where his bloodlines are from, it's a newly (or fairly) newly established line, but I know the breeding tactics used. The COI is what's pulling me down a bit.
I'd say, with the right buyer, looking for him at just the right time, with just the right wording in the ad... I can see him going for a good 80k. However... or maybe I'd say otherwise, since his COI is relatively high for his breed, and the ease of finding others that share his stats... I'd say you might be lucky if he sells fast for 45k.

Pricing is a difficult thing. For those you can't make a decision on, put it a little higher with an OBO. For those you want to go quick, think of the price you WANT to get and decrease it by about 25% to 50%. For those you can wait on (preferably without aging, because aging will decrease price), stick to a firm price of somewhere about 10% more than the minimum of what you want for it.

If the horses don't show any interest... decreasing could be the right move... but it could also mean that your buyers just aren't looking for them right now. One day, a horse could sell for a million on here, then on the very next day, you won't be able to get rid of them for $1. In some cases, the market just isn't there... kind of never there. And in other cases, a horse will always have a value, though that value can migrate quite a bit between a low end and a high end.
It is... painful at times to sell.

Good Luck!
wow ok thanks so much for this!
hail40040
Visit My Farm

Post by hail40040 »

I have a Akhal- Teke that I would sell for 10k If you are a beginner I will reduce the price as much as you want.

With reason

Here he is. https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2684150

Also check out my farm because I have 2 pregnant mares and I'm selling their babies for 3.5k ea.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 am