The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

[E] Breed All Breeds Record [23/328 Complete || 305 To Go!]

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 31: Chinese Pony, Deli, Tibetan Pony

Post by EclipticEnd »

Indeed! I'm very happy with him, but I'm also happy about this Chinese Pony colt that was also born. I'm just waiting on a filly at this point so that I can move on with the Chinese Pony breed lines.

Edit: just got a filly! I'll be doing Sumba, Sandalwood, and Sumbawa next before returning to Chinese Pony breeds with Tibetan Ponies.

Edit: Another filly!

============

Also, great news! The first Deli has been born. I'm waiting on a filly before I put them up for sale.

============

And a Tibetan Pony colt has been born as well! I probably could've put this in a new update but that's alright; I'm trying to cut down on the number of posts that I do on this simply because I can see myself doing hundreds of updates before I finish.

Apparently Tibetans and Sumbas have the same recipe, so we'll see how that goes!

Tibetan Pony #2 is a filly! They're both very much a surprise but I'm gonna work with it.
Hilayla
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: [E] Breed All Breeds Record [16/328 Complete]

Post by Hilayla »

Congrats! You seem to be on a roll right now.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: [E] Breed All Breeds Record [16/328 Complete]

Post by EclipticEnd »

Mhmm! I'm hoping that this progress won't slow down, but I have a feeling I've jinxed myself with the more complicated breeds.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 32: Sumba

Post by EclipticEnd »

Finally got my first Sumba, a colt.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Planning Things

Post by EclipticEnd »

I think I'm going to pause the West African Barb breeds once I get a Deli filly and focus on the Chinese Pony Breeds and sub-breeds since I have some people waiting on them and I've been making good headway. That means Nigerians and Poney Mousseye will be on hold.

===============================================================================

The Chinese Pony breeds are as follows: (Done)

From Chinese Pony: Sumba and Tibetan

From Sumba: Sandalwood and Sumbawa

From Tibetan: Bhutia, Hequ, Indian Country Bred, Manipuri Pony, Spiti, Zaniskari Pony

From Manipuri Pony: Burma Pony

That group consists of 12 breeds if I'm counting right. Chinese Ponies are done. I have them working to make Sumba and Tibetans. I've technically completed both breeds, but I'm expecting to need more of each breed to make their sub-breeds, especially with Tibetans. Luckily, it seems Tibetans are having good odds. Unluckily, that means Sumbas are having worse odds as they're both the same recipe.

Going more in depth of the breeds:

Sandalwood: Arabian X Sumba
12-13.2hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 20-35% Body Size || 50-70% Pony
Sumbawa: Tarpan X Sumba
11.3-13.2hh || Medium Light-Medium || 40-60% Body Size || 60% Horse-60% Pony

Hequ: [Caspian X Mongolian] X [Mongolian X Tibetan Pony]
12.3-14hh || Medium -Medium Heavy || 40-60% Body Size || 50-70% Pony
Manipuri Pony: Tibetan X [Arabian X Mongolian]
10.3-13hh || Medium -Medium Heavy || 40-60% Body Size || 50-70% Pony
Zaniskari Pony: Manipuri Pony X Tibetan Pony
11.3-14hh || Medium Light-Medium || 20-45% Body Size || 65% Horse-55% Pony
Bhutia: West African Barb X Tibetan Pony
12.2-13.1hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 20-38% Body Size || 60% Horse-70% Pony
Spiti: Arabian X Tibetan Pony
11-13.1hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 35-60% Body Size || 65% Horse-70% Pony
Indian Country Bred: Spiti X [Bhutia X Tibetan Pony]
11.1-13.3hh || Light-Medium || 20-50% Body Size || 75% Horse-55% Pony

Burma Pony: Manipuri Pony X Mongolian
12-13hh || Light-Medium Light || 25-45% Body Size || 80-55% Horse

So, actual planning time.

I'd like to start with the Sumba group as there's only Sandalwood and Sumbawa, but there's an issue. Sandalwoods are bred with Arabians, and the breed requires 50-70% Pony Type. Arabians are exclusively very horse type unless they undergo some extensive crossbreeding. I do have a stud that might balance things out, but he's not purely Arabian and so I have to hope that he'll give me a descendant that'll work.

My Sumba is also Horse Type, and there's a very limited amount of those so crossbreeding will again be an issue without raising the COI due to my limited stock. He's also only 3* I'll probably be banking on good luck for this breed and a whole lot of coverings.

As for Sumbawa, I think that'll be easier. My current Sumba colt is 5* for Sumbawa. I'm very lucky that he's a colt, because I forgot to save a Tarpan stallion while I was working with them and instead only have mares. Of my mares, 1 and 2 are 5* for Sumbawa as well. Neither are particularly good HGP-wise, but you have to work with what you've got sometimes.

I'll probably work on Sumbawa first, then Sandalwood. I think I might keep the Sandalwoods 1.) because I like the scent of sandalwood and 2.) I think the breed is neat. After that I'll deal with the mass Tibetan breeds. (Probably starting with Bhutia.)

Edit: I now have a 4* Sumba for Sandalwood and 5* for Sumbawa! Very ideal, I just need to get working on that Arabian for Sandalwoods.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 33: Tibetans and Sumbas

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've been getting more and more Tibetans and Sumbas; I'm not going to link those in updates from here on out, but you'll be able to find them linked on the main post of this topic.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Note To Self (just some horse links and evals)

Post by EclipticEnd »

Sandalwood: Arabian X Sumba
12-13.2hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 20-35% Body Size || 50-70% Pony
95% Arabian, 5% Shetland || 17hh / Heavy / 46.5% / 90% P [N/A]
100% Arabian || 15.2hh / Medium / 53% / 52%P [3*]
100% Arabian || 14.2hh / Medium Light / 1% / 51%P [2*]
100% Arabian || 12.1hh / Medium Light / 1.5% / 50%P [3*]

Sumbawa: Tarpan X Sumba
11.3-13.2hh || Medium Light-Medium || 40-60% Body Size || 60% Horse-60% Pony
Tarpan +1 || 12.3hh / Medium / 43.65% / 57%P [5*]
Tarpan 96% || 12.1hh / Medium / 55.35% / 57%P [5*]

Sumbawa will be easier than Sandalwood, but I already knew that. I'll need a Sumba mare for Sandalwood; all of those Arabians are Stallions. I'll need a Sumba Stallion for Sumbawa; those Tarpans are all mares. Might have to break down and breed more Arabians to get a mare, which I don't want to do as I'm already low on space.

Sumbawa will be ready to go as soon as Sumba stallions mature.
Sandalwood will be ready to go as soon as Sumba mares mature. Also when they're born because I still don't have any mares.
=================================================================================

Bhutia: West African Barb X Tibetan Pony
12.2-13.1hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 20-38% Body Size || 60% Horse-70% Pony
West African Barb (Colt) || 14.2hh / Medium Light / 39.5% / 70%H [N/A]
West African Barb (Colt) || 14.1hh / Light / 49% / 77%H [N/A]
West African Barb (Colt) || 14.1hh / Light / 35% / 80%H [2*]
West African Barb (Mare) || 14.2hh / Light / 35.1% / 83%H [N/A]

Spiti: Arabian X Tibetan Pony
11-13.1hh || Medium Light-Medium Heavy || 35-60% Body Size || 65% Horse-70% Pony
95% Arabian, 5% Shetland || 17hh / Heavy / 46.5% / 90% P [2*]
100% Arabian || 15.2hh / Medium / 53% / 52%P [4*]
100% Arabian || 14.2hh / Medium Light / 1% / 51%P [3*]
100% Arabian || 17.3hh / Medium Light / 5% / 55%H [3*]
100% Arabian || 15hh / Medium Light / 12% / 57%H [3*]
100% Arabian || 12.1hh / Medium Light / 1.5% / 50%P [4*]

Suggests Spiti over Bhutia. Really might have to hope for luck with Bhutia, or else do some crossing with grade horses and WABs. Mare Tibetan preferred for Bhutia; I need my WAB mare and my best eval is 2* with a colt. Might have to breed more WABs.

Suggests I need mares for both breeds. I have three mares insofar. Will be ready to begin once they mature. I'll separate into two groups based on the Tibetans' evals for both breeds.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 34: Beginning Spitis and Sumbawas

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm starting to breed Spitis. I have a 5* Tibetan mare and a 4* Arabian stallion that I'm pairing. Hopefully this breed goes fast, but at the same time hopefully not; I'm having trouble finding buyers. I figure I'll start training and testing them, but I already have a training queue and I can only go so fast. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully I edit this message soon in the future with the first Spiti foal! Otherwise you'll see a new update tomorrow or in a few days.

==========================================

I've also started on Sumbawa breeding.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 35: Progress and lack thereof

Post by EclipticEnd »

I think I've managed to jinx myself in saying that things were going by fast. Alas, I still haven't gotten a Deli filly despite over probably 30 coverings. This goes to show why you want the highest evals that you can possibly get for breed creation. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep trying until my broods are 20 years of age or if I want to call it. Both Caspians that I've been using have run out of energy, so I might not have a choice as they were the best evals I could find.

Spitis are also proving harder than expected. I'm only six coverings in, of course, but I had hope that one would pop by the fourth. I currently have three 5* eval Tibetans on this that I've been pairing with one of my 4* eval Arabians. I think I might go until that stud is out of energy, then swap to my other 4* eval and see what happens.

I've only just started Sumbawas and haven't had a foal pop yet, though they're close. We'll see how those go. I'm staying optimistic and hoping they won't take long at all!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 36: Sumbawa, Misc.

Post by EclipticEnd »

Sumbawa colt!

A success! I'm happy about it. I'll give a few more tries for a filly as well before moving on.

=====================================================

I've decided to give up on a Deli filly and instead I have those WABxArabian broods passively working on Nigerians. I don't expect them to make one, but I'm giving them a chance instead of just rehoming or aging them out.

No news on Spitis. I think my Arabians just might not be compatible enough, which is unfortunate. I'm going to keep trying with them, but I'm not expecting much. I might have to make more Chinese Ponies so that I can make more Tibetans at this point.

As for Sandalwoods, I finally managed to breed a Sumba filly. I'm waiting for her to age up, and then I'll start on this breed.

I suppose I can also update on Crummy horses here? No news, really. I've got a stock down to around 11,100 HGP. The target is in the 10,000 area. My base mare (10,700 thereabouts) is very old and I worry about her aging out. Hopefully I can get a horse lower before then. As far as I understand, I just have to keep breeding and hope that I get the rare foal that's less than at least one of the parents' HGP, and then replace that parent with the foal once it's old enough. If anyone knows more about this or has advice, I'd love to hear from you.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:42 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:42 pm