The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

[E] Breed All Breeds Record [23/328 Complete || 305 To Go!]

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Hilayla
Visit My Farm

Re: [E] Breed All Breeds Record [18/328 Complete || 310 To Go!]

Post by Hilayla »

I'm doing the low GP thing as well.. If I have a replacement for the dam, I start rehoming anything that has higher gp than a parent. (keeping the lowest for next gen). Boys need to be lower than dad. Girls need to be lower than mom. I generally get more rolldowns than rollups but a few points at a time makes it slow going. I tend to keep only one stallion (plus his replacement) and usually 3-4 mares. I'm breeding for strictly low gp and they horribly inbred but I'll get there.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: [E] Breed All Breeds Record [18/328 Complete || 310 To Go!]

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm trying to do the same, but sadly I've been getting huge jumps upwards and very little to no jumps downwards. A pair at 11,100 and 11,200, for example, might continuously make 11,700 rather than going down for me, which is frustrating. I think I've culled at least ten in a row so far without improvement. Mine are rather inbred as well, but I figure that's par for the course in this challenge. Hopefully things work out better soon.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Sale Alert

Post by EclipticEnd »

For anyone interested, I'm selling some of my recipe horses from this project that I no longer need. I have already made the breeds that they evaluate well on and want to give others a chance to use them before they're rehomed or aged out.

Link to sale page.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 37: Pausing Operations (Kind Of)

Post by EclipticEnd »

Spiti is proving oddly difficult. I thought that having multiple 5*s paired with a 4* would make it easy, but... absolutely no progress, and I've had to age my colts both multiple times now. It's been well over 30 coverings probably, and nothing.

I think I'm going to have to revisit this breed later; I have 309 other breeds to work on still, and I've already spent a lot of time on this one with no results. My best guess is that my colt is too extreme of an opposite to the mares despite both evaluating well. I'll have to do some specialized breeding to get a less extreme Arabian I suppose.

Regardless, I've become exhausted with this breed for the time being, and I think it's time to move on to something else.

I'm also taking a pause from the Crummy Horse quest. I have one mare that I bought from the market which is around 10,700 HGP, and all of my others are still above 11,000 HGP. The mare's getting older and older, and I'm anxious that she's going to end up aging out. As such, I have the entire batch frozen until I can figure out what I want to do.

I'd been getting absolutely no progress whatsoever from those horses. The ideal thing would be to breed them and keep a foal when its HGP is less than either parent, but that hasn't been happening at all. All of those most recent foals had been getting jumps of +500 HGP rather than going down even by -1 HGP. It has been frustrating, and so I'm taking time off from that because of that.

====================================================================================

I am currently working on Sandalwoods, so that's something! I have two Sumba mares working on that at the moment, and I'm aging up some Arabian fillies as well. I'm not sure what their evals are off the top of my head. Probably not amazing. But I'm trying! Hopefully I'll get lucky; I don't really want to have to do custom breeding with Arabians for this.

I'm also working on Nigerians somewhat. I didn't want to rehome my WAB x Arabian mares from the Delis, so I started them up on Nigerians. They're doing surprisingly well? I haven't gotten an Nigerian foal, but they're routinely producing 4* foals, so I'm hopeful I'll get lucky and get a surprise 5* Nigerian one of these times.

I could replace Spitis with Karabairs as I have a horse for that, but that is not a line end breed and I'm trying very hard to do line end breeds in particular as I simply do not have the room to store any non-end ones indefinitely.

I think that I honestly want to take a little break from breeding breeds as I've hit a wall where I'm nonstop breeding and just... not getting any results. I'd hate to burn myself out again; I had to hiatus for a few months last time that happened.

As such... I think I might completely halt everything besides the Sandalwoods and Nigerians; I'm going to let the WAB x Arabians age themselves out while trying for Nigerian, and I want to see if I can't get Sandalwood done since that's the last Sumba breed, which would let me get rid of all of my Sumbas. I'm going to sell my Tibetans and breed more later when I feel ready to take them back up.

I think I'll just go about trying to fulfil some orders for breeds that I've already made, like the Mongolians, and take some time to do some breeding for myself.

I need to go through my secondary farm and get things organized and lessened. I'm going to either sale or age out most of my recipe horses, and I'm going to go through everything else and decide if I'm keeping it because I want to, or because I feel I need to. I think I need to do a near-enough reset before I start again, so that's what I'll do.

I'll probably be getting rid of some purebred horses, such as NABS, Thoroughbreds, and Arabians. I'll put a notice up when that time comes.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 38: Spiti?!

Post by EclipticEnd »

So, uh. I've been doing some training and letting the Tibetans finish popping to sell them. And, uh...

Everyone finally welcome a Spiti colt.

What a troll this little colt is. He knew that I called his bluff and now he's here.

All jokes aside, I don't even know what the odds are that on the day that I give up on Spiti, one decides to be born. I'm not sure that I've ever been so happy to see a breed be born; I really wasn't looking forward to having to revisit this breed after the painful experience that they've given me. I'm very much celebrating!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 39: It's been a while. Let's make some plans.

Post by EclipticEnd »

It's been a while since I've posted here. So far it's been nice to take a break from doing these quests. I'm getting a bit antsy, though, and I feel like making plans for when I restart. I might not be actually breeding again for a while; this sickness is harsh and my internet is sad. I fully intend to wait until I'm no longer sick and my internet has been upgraded before I get back to breeding, but I like to be prepared.

Ergo, some plans.

I've got a small list of breeds to work on already written down. Those are the following:

Bosnian Pony: [North African Barb X Tarpan] X [Przewalski Horse X Tarpan] (99) End Breed
Hucul: Tarpan X Mongolian (149) End Breed
Bashkir: [Tarpan X Turkmene] X Mongolian (529) -----> Bashkir Curly (230) Not a Quest Yet
Bhutia: West African Barb X Tibetan Pony (48) -----> Indian Country Bred (32) Not a Quest Yet

Bosnian and Hucul are the main targets because I'll be able to get rid of them asap after making them. Love end breeds! Bashkir and Bhutia are two other breeds that I could do, but I'd have to save the resulting horses until their sub-breeds pop up in my list of quests. I admittedly chose these four due to the fact that the first two are end breeds and the second two are made with breeds that I either already have or will be making.
==============================================================================================
Hucul definitely has an easier recipe than Bosnian, so I'm going to assume that I'll start with that. Hucul is Tarpan x Mongolian. I have some pretty decent Tarpans now and I'm still working on Mongolians.

The Hucul eval is as follows:
12.1hh-14.1hh || ML-M || 40%-60% || 70%H-60%P

I currently only have one Mongolian and he's 2* for Hucul: 11.3hh || MH || 59% || 63%P.

I know that my current herd of Tarpans are evaluating well for Mongolian, which is something like 11-14hh || M-MH || 40-60 || 50%-70%P. Most should be in the Medium range, so build should be fine. Height should be decent, else a bit short. Size should be within range and the majority of their types should be as well. I expect, therefore, to have some 4-5* evaluating Tarpans without having to check.

The issue might definitely be the Mongolian side of things. It's going to take me a while to get to where I'm actually breeding Mongolians since I intend to make a well evaluating, high HGP herd of Tarpans, Przewalskis, and Grade horses before starting production. Insofar I only have Tarpans part of the way there, and Grades may as well have just started.
==============================================================================================
That leads into Bosnians. Bosnians are [North African Barb X Tarpan] X [Przewalski Horse X Tarpan]. I definitely have some Prze x Tarpan crosses stored away, but no NAB x Tarpans.

The Bosnian eval is 12-15hh || L-ML || 30-45% || 70%-58%H. Most of my Prze x Tarpans are more suited for Mongolian, so I'm assuming they're all only 2-3* evals. A quick check confirms that the highest seem to be 3* evals.

This is more of a specialized breed; I'll have to make new crosses purely with this evaluation in mind if I want 4-5* evals.

I don't actually think that I have any Tarpans that would eval well for this as they are; most of my Tarpans are more heavyset. I expect 2-3* evals from them, maybe a 4* if I'm lucky. They'll definitely have to be carried by the NAB genes for the first half of the equation. I can also try to make some lighter-built Tarpans while I'm still breeding them.

Speaking of NABs, I have quite a few of those. The first one I checked was a 4* eval, so I'll assume I have 3-5* evals within my herd for this breed.

I also have quite a few Przewalskis and I know that some of them are rather horse in build, so those might work well. If not, I know of a few public studs that might be useful.
For Bashkir:

These two Turkmenes of mine would work best out of my herd: 1 2

Evaluation-wise they're only a 2* at max, but they're the closest to the eval out of all of them. This is just a bit of a harder evaluation to fit with racing-type horses. Regardless, I have some heavier-set Tarpans which might be able to balance that Very Light, low Size build.

Speaking of, here's my best Tarpans for this: 1 2 3

#1 is very close to being 4-5*. #2 is 4*, just a bit short. #3 is 4*, just too Pony-Type which is perfect when balancing too much Horse-type. I'm sure I have plenty more but in the interest of not going through over 20 Tarpans, I'll leave it at those three.

I've found this public Mongolian stud to be close-ish to 5*: 1

Ideally I'll have my Mongolians going before this breed so I'll be able to use my own, but it's possible I'll run out of patience and just go for it with this stud. My one current Mongolian is only 2*.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 40: Bosnians

Post by EclipticEnd »

I think when I start up again I'll do Bosnian Ponies. I'm going to finish up working on North Swedish Horses and Latvian Harness Horses with the RBRC, then take a break from that and work back on this.

Bosnian Pony: [North African Barb X Tarpan] X [Przewalski Horse X Tarpan]

My best evaluating NABs:
1♀ ⭐ Height: 14.3 (12-15) ||❌ Build: VL (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 30.6 (30-45) ||❌ Type: 94h (70-58h)
2♀ ⭐ Height: 14.1 (12-15) ||❌ Build: L (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 44.55 (30-45) ||❌ Type: 77h (70-58h)
3♀ ⭐ Height: 12.3 (12-15) ||⭐ Build: ML (L-ML) ||❌ Size: 27.45 (30-45) ||⭐ Type: 69h (70-58h)

My best evaluating Tarpans:
1♀ ⭐ Height: 12.2 (12-15) ||⭐ Build: ML (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 33.3 (30-45) ||⭐ Type: 59h (70-58h)
2♂ ⭐ Height: 12.1 (12-15) ||⭐ Build: ML (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 38.5 (30-45) ||⭐ Type: 59h (70-58h)

My best evaluating Przewalski Horses:
1♀ ❌ Height: 10 (12-15) ||⭐ Build: ML (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 37.8 (30-45) ||❌ Type: 57h (70-58h)
2♂ ⭐ Height: 12.1 (12-15) ||❌ Build: M (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 41 (30-45) ||❌ Type: 51p (70-58h)
3♀ ⭐ Height: 12 (12-15) ||❌ Build: M (L-ML) ||⭐ Size: 42.3 (30-45) ||❌ Type: 56p (70-58h)

The Tarpans are actually from my Maelstrom project. Since the mare is in the target color range for that project, I'm going to try to be sparing with using her. I don't want to over use her and not get much use in the project that she's intended for. I also don't want to go too deep into COI, so I'll use her at least twice and hope the her foals are useful.

I have a 4* NAB mare which will be paired with the 5* Tarpan stud. I'm also going to pair the two 4* mares with him just for extra breeding stock to get things done faster. I have a feeling we'll end up with ML or L builds in that half of the equation, so I'll need the Prze x Tarpan side to be ML or M builds to combat that.

Height is overall good for the group, save for the one Prze that's too short. I'm not worried about height as a result; the NABS are on the taller end and so they might help bring it up if need be. Build has already been considered.

Size is a bit of a wildcard. Even after all this time I'm still not sure how to manage it well, so I'm worried it might skyrocket somehow. To prevent this I'm going to hope that the one under-sized NAB will keep numbers low. Otherwise, I'm going to hope that similar numbers will keep the size where it is rather than encourage growth.

Last thing is type. The Prze group are too pony and the NAB group are too horse. The Tarpans are rather even, so I'm hoping that they'll lower the extremes to more of a mild outlier. At that point, hopefully the Horse and Pony types will balance each other out.

I'll be doing both groups at the same time so that the foals will reach maturity thereabouts together. Hopefully things go well with them. They're all my stock so I won't have to worry about stud energy running out. They're also all decently good HGP-wise if I remember correctly. They should all be in the 50-70k HGP range. I'm expecting decently good horses out of them.

Now it's just a waiting game for me to get done with the Doles, Norths, and Lats.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 41: Bosnians /and/ Minis? Planning.

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've noticed multiple players asking about Miniature Horses. There seems to be a pretty limited stock and players that have them are possibly out of the game. This leaves a bit of a vacuum in terms of good studs for newer players who want to focus on that breed.

While I already have Bosnians planned, I'm thinking that I might also work towards Minis as well. Minis have a bit of a hard recipe branch, though.

Miniature Horse = Shetland Pony X Falabella

Falabella = Shetland Pony X [Thoroughbred X Criollo]
Criollo = [Sorraia X Garrano] X [Arabian X Andalusian]
Garrano = Sorraia X [Arabian X Sorraia]
Andalusian = [Sorraia X Carthusian] X [Sorraia X West African Barb]
Carthusian = West African Barb X Sorraia
Sorraia = [Tarpan X Mongolian] X [Tarpan X West African Barb]

Of course, the only quest I have from that branch of breeds is the Sorraia. That's alright, though! That's been a breed that I've been waiting to do in order to help fill out the WAB lines.

Even if they don't help me finish some quests, I can save some of the recipe horses to breed again later, or I can completely breed again from scratch and challenge myself to breed better quality ones later.

One thing I am noticing is that half of the Mini's recipe is a Shetland. Now, I haven't seen many Shetlands since that's simply just a breed that I don't often use, but the ones that I've seen aren't high in HGP nor BR comments. That's something that I'll have to improve before beginning the Minis and Falas, and that's something I can do while breeding Bosnians. Heck, I can probably even start improving them now while I work on North Swedish Horses and Latvians!

That's going to be my current goal, I think. I'd like to get a high HGP Shetland mare and stud that're 4*+ for Falas and Minis. I'm not sure what their evals are, but I'll figure it out. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one horse that evals well for both, but that's completely dependent on the evals. It could be like Doles where NSH are completely different to Latvians. Regardless, I'll figure it out.

Until next time! This was a bit of a chaotic and unorganized update, but so be it.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 42: Hucul!

Post by EclipticEnd »

Unexpected update!

First Hucul colt was born by accident! I was getting some recipe horses for Sorraias and suddenly I got a Quest Complete message, so that's neat! That's an end-of-the-line breed too, so I can sell it if anyone's interested.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 43: Sorraia (WIP) and also West African Barbs

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm continuing this log as I am currently working on a breed that is within my quests.

Sorraia: [Tarpan X Mongolian] X [Tarpan X West African Barb]

These will be used in a variety of breeds, including Criollo which is needed for the Falabellas that I intend to make relatively soon. I have a TB broodmare on hold (many thanks, Gabby) that's just waiting for a Criollo to make foals with. Unfortunately, there's really none in the Public Studs that have energy and I'd like to make some that don't have as high of a probability to be related to other Falabellas, so homemade Criollos it is.

Criollos have quite a few breeds that I haven't gotten to yet. I'm not entirely sure if they're all within my quests, but I'm doing them anyway for the purpose of these Minis.

Anyway, I've already gotten started on this breed. I have a Tarpan x Mongolian colt and two WAB x Tarpan Fillies. The TM colt is a 4* eval which is pretty ideal, but the fillies are 2* at most which is... much less ideal. I might have to look at my Tarpans again to try to balance the WAB eval better for this rather than just using a 5* for Sorraia.

That's going to have to wait. I'm breeding my WAB mare with my WAB studs to hopefully get some more fillies. I only have one female of the breed which is not ideal when that breed makes multiple others, so I'm trying to fix that before it becomes a problem.

Any colts I make will either be kept or sold, so if you're interested in some West African Barb colts/studs then let me know and we can make a deal. They should be above 55k HGP. Give me a ping under the sale page linked on the main post of this topic instead of messaging me here please.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:34 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:34 am