The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

SolarSolstice Master Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: SolarSolstice Master Log

Post by EclipticEnd »

My last update before the end of 2022:

I'm still working on getting 4-5* Doles for both Latvian and North Swedish Horses. I've basically completed this; I have a 5* North Swedish Dole filly growing up and I have two or three 5* Latvian Dole studs. The Latvian ones aren't 100% Dole, so I'm still technically working on that. I have a growing herd of 4* evaluations so I'm sure it won't take too much longer.

I've just gone through my farm and rehomed anything that simply wasn't fitting my requirements. I should have plenty of space to continue onwards now. I've been taking on and off breaks, which is why things are going so slowly for the Doles. I'm hopeful that I'll be more active in January and hopefully have the Doles done with and North Swedish Horses being born before February. Ideally I'd like to have Latvians done by the end of January as well, but we'll see.

I have five or so sub-10,700 HGP mares frozen in my other account still. I don't think I'll be able to save more than that due to the lack of space in that account as well as the lack of space in this one. Although I've made some room, I have to keep in mind that I'll be keeping any 4-5* evaluations that pop up, and then I'll be breeding any newly mature mares. I'm going to be letting all of my crummy horses in this account retire and I'll pick it up again once I'm completely done with Doles, Norths, and Latvians.

For anyone reading this who might have premium, by the way, I'm looking for someone who wouldn't mind passing over conformations on quite the number of horses. I want to go through all of my Tarpans and Grades, get their conformations done, and figure out which ones will be best for my Maelstrom project. There's five-ish barns to go through at the current moment, though that might fall down to four. I'd greatly appreciate this, and I'm even willing to pay for the service. Let me know if you're interested, preferably in a ping post in General chat.

I'm also looking for advice on which of them would be best to continue breeding towards Western Pleasure, Western Trail, and Working Ranch. Ideally I'd like to settle on just one of those disciplines, but which one will ultimately be determined by the horses that I end up with. It'd be cool to push the Mongolians into RH territory, but I doubt that I can immediately do that and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. Any advice will be appreciated!

I think I'd like to start up a small grinder line for myself and possibly others of Thoroughbreds. I wouldn't be looking to make them competitive nor aiming for any record titles; moreso just a group of high HGP, local level 10 TBs since I seem to always run out of good grinders. Color-wise, I think it'd be fun to do blacks and seals with bright eyes, with or without a pattern of any sort. Conformation-wise, a racing conformation would be great with at least 61 speed. Temperament would be High Strung, of course. If you happen to have any studs/mares/foals that match that description that you'd be open to selling, I'd pay a good price for them!

Edit: I forgot about my progress towards premium! I'm going to try for a 6 month upgrade which is 2500 PT. I'm nearing the 1000 point at the moment! I'm going to be working on horse breeds again around February hopefully, and each successful breed will give me a small amount of tokens. Between that, leveling up, and a lot of grinding, I'm hopeful that I'll get the remaining 1500 within the next few months. Once I get there I'll be offering conformations and such.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

It's now 2023. Here's my current progress into the year:

I'm now only keeping Doles that rate 4* or higher for North/Latvian. I'd love to pass off the Latvian group to another breeder to polish them up while I focus on making the actual North Swedish Horses, but I think I'm the only active one within the community that this is a project for. It is what it is, I'll make it work. I have started trying to make more North Swedish Horses. I still have only made one that didn't have very good stats; I'm spam breeding her in the hope of making some Latvians, but I won't feel especially bad if that fails. I know I can make better ones if given time. I'm giving myself a time limit; if I don't have a group of North Swedish Horses by the end of the month then I'll see about passing my best evaluating Latvian Doles to another group member so that I can take a break from them and focus completely on North Swedish Horses. I really want to be done with both breeds by the end of February, so I'm giving myself a month for Norths and then a month for Latvians (ideally).

I've had a thought; I wouldn't mind taking breed requests from the community for my Breed All Breeds project, but I'm not sure how interested people would be in that. This is especially true since I'm working on the questlines, and so I'd have to turn some breeds down that don't yet appear for me. Ideally someone would request a breed that i have the quest for, then receive a few horses of that breed once I manage some successes (possibly all of the successes if it's a line-end breed). If anyone would be interested in that, let me know.

This was a bit short, but I don't feel the need to update on the sub-10k HGP group nor the Mongolian/Tarpan groups since I've done nothing with them and won't do anything with them for the foreseeable future.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

New update! It hasn't been long but enough has been done that I feel good about writing it up.

I'm passing over most of my Latvian-Eval Doles to other players. Ones that aren't bought will be sold/rehomed and funds given to the RBRC club because I don't really need the money and would rather raise awareness of the club. Because of this I've halted production with my Lat-Eval Doles.

I've therefore been able to focus on my North Swedish Horse-Eval Doles and as a consequence I now have multiple North Swedish Horse foals! I'm working to breed more 5* Doles now that I have a few NSH foals and I'm also working on getting some high HGP Forest Horse mares to go with the Dole studs.

REMINDER TO SELF: Keep one of the better Forest Horse mares and studs because all of the public good ones keep running out of energy. Having a breeding pair for that breed will be very important I think.

I've gone through and organized my farm again. Barns and Pastures are number coordinated with breeds so that they're easy to move horses between; the scroll list will organize with numerical values so that keeps that list neat even if my actual farm is out of order.

As for premium progress, I'm at 1600 PT! That's almost halfway there to half a year! It's very much thanks to shadowheart2006 and their Christmas Unicorn; they've given me... I want to say 1000? Regardless, it's very appreciated. I'll probably wait to redeem premium until after I get better internet as that'll encourage me to play more.

Anyway, personal goals:
-Decorate all of the Barns/Pastures on my farm as well as the farm itself
-Redo my farm page to look nicer
-----That'll mean moving a lot of that information, possibly into a new log or into my training log
-----Maybe add some art?
-Go through my second farm and thin out the horses there
-----Might have to wait until I do more breeds since most are saved specifically for that reason
-----I want to make that farm look better as well

RBRC goals:
-Finish North Swedish Horses
-----Preferably a good number with 55k+ HGP
-----Make sure I have enough to do Latvians as well as the others who are working on that
-Finish Latvians
-----Probably won't keep any Doles/Norths/Lats at that point since I'll have to breed them again later anyway, none of those breeds count towards my breed quests
-----I want 55k+ HGP on these as well as Tiger Eye genes showing through; that's my favorite gene in the game probably and there's quite a bit of it in my foundation Doles
-Take a break from RBRC after Latvians, but offer assistance if possible with whatever breeds come next

Breeding goals:
-Get back into making breeds after RBRC Latvians
-This has already been outlined, but I plan to do Bosnian Ponies (103 currently)
-----I have some good horses already lined up for this, so it might not take long to do (we can hope)
-----Bosnian Ponies are an end breed, so I'm planning to only breed a few of them, train them, and then sell them off; I'll likely make a breeding pair (hopefully unrelated) and pass them to the RBRC if they want them
-After Bosnians I'll probably do Hucul as it's another line-end breed
-I still need to get conformations on all of my Grades and Tarpans so that I can get rid of some of them; I have a lot so that'll take time and it might end up waiting until I myself have premium
-I'd also like to narrow down on my Arabians in my secondary farm; I'd like to get another high HGP 5* Arabian (maybe high 60ks HGP) and a new heavy/pony Arabian stud and mare that aren't related to my current ones
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Quick update!

I've done some fixes in a variety of things. My farm page looks a lot nicer now. I may or may not do my secondary account's page as well, but not right now.

Maelstroms' Tarpans and Grades all have Conformations so that's good! That project is still a work in progress and isn't a priority.

Goals still left to do:
-Decorate the farm with more decoration objects such as trees
-Decorate all of the barns and pastures as well
-Thin out more of the Tarpan/Grades

RBRC:
-Breed more North Swedish Horses
-Breed more High HGP Forest Horses
-Get a few more 5* Doles for NSH
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

It's been a while. Update time!

I have many North Swedish Horses. I'm culling/selling any below 45k HGP. I'm trying to breed the HGP up to over 55k but I have the limitation in that I need to be making them lighter. It's a work in progress.

I'm done with Doles. I'm selling any that remain on this farm (not including my frozen ones). There's a sales page up for those if you're interested.

Forest Horses are doing great! I don't really need them anymore, but it gives me something to work on that has visible progress. It's helping me not get burnt out from all of the evaluation breeding. My best male is at 61,556 HGP. My best female is at 63,287 HGP. I'm going to keep going as long as I can with them; maybe they'll be able to get to the 70k HGP range, who knows. When I run out of room or start to plateau I'll freeze my best four (assuming I have the room to do so).

I've started on Mini horses and Falabellas as well. Currently I'm working on breeding some Shetlands into the 50-60k HGP range. This is pretty important as there's not a lot of high HGP Shetlands from what I've found. I'm making them fit the Mini and Fal evals of course, but it's good work regardless. I'll be keeping a breeding pair of those for future breeding as well. I'm going to have to get started on TBs and Criollos for Fals as I'm probably not going to be able to make one Shetland fit both evals; the sooner I have those, the sooner I'll know what exactly I need to do to match the evals. Criollos seem rare which means I'll probably have to breed those, and to breed those I need some other rare horses. It'll be a job. If you're interested in any Minis, I made a quick breeding community for them. I'll be selling any that I make in order to bolster the breed's population and quality and I'm taking gene requests for patterns, colors, etc. there.

I've also started collecting AC Turkmenes that sport the Sooty Dapple gene. I want to get into breeding Turks again; they're one of my favorite breeds in the game. Unfortunately I've only found one so far in the AC and I want to start with completely new horses, so it's going to take a while. That might be for the better as I have a lot of projects that I'm doing right now. There's an ISO ad up if you're curious.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Big reference post incoming to help me with Mini breeding. This might also benefit anyone working on Minis or Falabellas.

In progress:
Miniature: Shetland Pony X Falabella
  • Height: 29-34in || Build: ML-M || Size: 40-60 || Type: 60h-60p
End breed for this project; hoping to end on 60k+ HGP, but more realistically 55k+. Fals will be lighter than Shetlands based on their eval, so aim to have a max-stat eval Shetland; 34in+, M/MH, 60 size, max opposite type to the Fals.

Falabella: Shetland Pony X [Thoroughbred X Criollo]
  • Height: 24-33in || Build: ML-M || Size: 20-35 || Type: 60h-65p
TB x Criollo mix will probably be: 14-16.3hh, VL/L, 20ish size or lower, horse type. Shetland will therefore need to be as short as possible, M/MH, 40ish size, pony type in order to balance that. Might have to do selective breeding, will depend on the height of the TBxCriollo. Might be able to get a Mini TB. I remember someone was breeding them a while ago but they might not be anymore or might not be active. I can do it myself if need be, but it'll take longer. Will do the same with the Criollo if possible to negate height issues. Hoping to be 60k+ HGP with the help of TBs.

Shetland: AC Breed
  • Height: 24in-10.3hh || Build: H-VH || Size: 80-100 || Type: 80-100p
Currently undergoing eval changing. Will get a variety match for Minis and Fals, hopefully there'll be a good match for both breeds when I'm done. Probably should've waited to do this until last, so I'll get into the ballpark range and freeze a breeding pair that I'll perfect after I get ready for Fals. Working on 55k+ HGP, would love to have them be above 60k.

Thoroughbred: [Arabian X North African Barb] X [Akhal-Teke X Galloway] Needed for Fals. Common, shouldn't be difficult. Might be harder to get a shorter one, but also might not since they're a popular breed. Aiming for 60k+ HGP for this breed. Offers have been put out on two tiny TBs in the market, we'll see if they get accepted. I'm not sure that the owners are active.

Criollo: [Sorraia X Garrano] X [Arabian X Andalusian]
  • Height: 14-15.1hh || Build: L-ML || Size: 20-40 || Type: 80-60h
  • Arabian 3* Arabian 2* No Sorraia, Garrano, Andalusian
Needed for Fals. Rare (160), might be hard to find.

Garrano: Sorraia X [Arabian X Sorraia] Needed for Criollo. Rare (84), might be hard to find.

Andalusian: [Sorraia X Carthusian] X [Sorraia X West African Barb] Needed for Criollo. Less rare (2,443), might be able to find instead of breeding one.

Carthusian: West African Barb X Sorraia
  • Height: 13.3-16.1hh || Build: L-ML || Size: 40-60 || Type: 80-60h
  • WAB 4* WAB 5* No Sorraia
Needed for Andalusian. Rare (239), might be hard to find.

Sorraia: [Tarpan X Mongolian] X [Tarpan X West African Barb] Needed for most of the above. Moderately rare (520), might be able to find instead of breeding one.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Current update:

I must admit that I'm tripping over myself a bit with these Shetlands. One minute I'm breeding for HGP. The next I'm breeding for evaluation or color. It all ends up in a bit of a messy variety. I'm thinking that I might focus first on color and HGP and then eval once the correct colors are achieved. I really want these Shetlands to be double pearls with facial markings such as snips, stars, or blazes. I do have some with those markings and I do have some double pearls, but I don't think I have both on one horse yet. Maybe that should be my goal?

But then I run the risk of wonky evaluations that may be difficult to bring back to my target parameters, that being Falabella and Miniatures. I have a variety of Light to Heavy horses and I'd hate to lose the evaluation progress I'm making just to maintain a target color.

I might just have to be much more selective with my breeding and try for all three at once as I have been. It makes things chaotic and I have a bit of a large herd of Shetlands which is a space issue. We'll see.

As for everything else:

Sorraias are a work in progress. I'm working on recipe foals at the moment.

Latvians are a work in progress. They're in the breeding phase and insofar I've gotten close, but no luck on breeding the actual breed.

North Swedish Horses are soon to be phased out. I'm still breeding them in the hope that I can get a closer eval to Lativans, but I'm no longer keeping a large herd of them just for that purpose.

Forest Horses are still going strong. I've breached the 63k HGP mark and I intend to keep going higher for as long as I can.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Tentative decision on the Shetlands: I'm going to breed for color and HGP before eval. I can probably fix up evals since they're all thereabouts in the range I'm looking for anyway. I'll be rehoming any non-facial marked Shetlands excluding high HGP mares that may still produce marked offspring as well as pure pearls.

Edit: Also keeping higher HGP studs with the caveat that only masked mares can use them; hopefully that'll encourage HGP growth while still getting markings.

I hadn't finalized on that plan until I just typed it, but now I feel a weight off my shoulders. The Shetlands were getting out of control and I simply could not keep up with the space issues that were being caused. This stricter guideline should help steer things in the right direction without drowning me in tiny horses.

Everything else is still a work in progress without any improvement.

I've started training some random foals again that I'll either sell or use as Grinders; I think I'll try out some new training methods and see how things go. I'm alright with the method I use; I've gotten the age down from an average of 2Y8.5M to 2Y7M thanks to some training stat increases, but I'd like to see if I can do even better. I've heard that some people can train at 2Y1.5M which seems insane, but they might not be training to 99.99% in every attribute.

Will update again with more improvements hopefully.

Edit 2: This is working really well. I have a decent amount of room via the rehoming of some of the Shetlands. My Shetlands all have high HGP, facial markings, or Pearl. Some that didn't meet the requirements had foals and so they have to be aged out, but that's alright. If I run out of room again I'll set a minimum HGP and cull under that line. I've discovered that I have a Mohawk in my Shetlands. It's one of the pearls, so I might end up with some interesting manes. I'm also beginning to reach the 90% Shetland area with much of the newest generation; they'll soon be pure but I'll probably keep breeding them to increase HGP as an idle thing while trying to get the recipe horses for Falabella made. The Sorraia recipe horses are taking a while to age up, and it's going to be rough with the amount of other horse breeds I'll need to make after that.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

It was only yesterday that I did an update, but here's another fast one:

A Latvian Harness Horse has been bred. I'm one step closer to getting rid of all of my Doles and North Swedish Horses, which is great as that'll free up a ton of space in both of my farms.

Shetlands are doing well. They're consistently being born with facial markings because their parents now all carry that marking. I've also gotten my first facial marking on an Apricot coat which is my target color for these guys. I'd love to have more of a variety with their pearl colors but most if not all of my Shetlands are Chestnut bases. I might try to add more genes in the future; I have plenty of time to do that.

If my farm gets full of Shetlands, I'll cull by HGP (for the non-pearls). Probably a 42k or 45k HGP minimum. After that if I get full again I'll cull anything below 50k (assuming I have many above that). After that it'll be culling non-pearls and possibly extended facial markings. Maybe even any horses with less than four colored BR comments.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

We have once more hit my farm's limit of horses. Time for more culling!

The majority of my Shetlands are either facial marks or blazes. There's a few that are neither that I've been keeping for their HGP in order to help boost the herd's. I'd like to keep those for that reason as my goal is to reach 60k HGP or higher in these guys.

I'm setting a hard limit: As long as the horse isn't 2x pearl, anything below 50k HGP is being culled. That's going to take out most if not all of my broods at the moment and possibly most of my current foals, but it needs to be done in order to support a better quality stock. I'm making one exception with a stud that has a super low size percentage as that's something I'm having issues keeping under control.

This unfortunately will have me aging out a bunch of horses which doesn't help with the space issue. This is when a third account purely for aging out horses would be nice, but as far as I know the limit is two accounts. Plus I don't overly want to deal with a third one anyway. Anyway, any horses with progeny are being aged out, any without are being rehomed.

I'm also going through and reorganizing my farm again. The numbers help when moving horses, but the farm visually is a bit chaotic so I'm moving horses around to make them flow better and have the correct numbers be closer together.

An edit: I've been operating with two barns of North Swedish Horse broodmares. I think I'm going to cut down to one barn instead because I really don't need a ton of those anymore and I have a generation of fillies to take over next which are getting better evaluations for Latvians. I'm hopeful that that generation will be the one to get me more Latvians so that I can finally do away with both breeds.

Another edit: I'm limiting the amount of studs as well. I have two pastures, one for Non-Visual Pearl and one for Visual Pearl. If I want to keep any further studs then they must fit into their pasture. That'll help me phase out older over-used studs as well. Once the Pearl side is full I'll probably get rid of all of my non-Pearls; I should have a good number of mares at that point even with the colt curse.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 pm