The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

SolarSolstice Master Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Starting Operations Again!

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've cleaned up this farm nicely, and I think it's time to start once more. The other farm's still a bit of a mess, but that's alright.

I'm going to swap between doing my Silent Auctions and selling one of my horses, that way I'll have a sale slot open at all times. I have quite a few horses to train up and sell, so I might wait a while before starting up public training again.

I'm starting on breeding my Mongolians. We'll see how that goes! :D
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: SolarSolstice Master Log

Post by EclipticEnd »

The Maelstrom project is underway! I've started on making recipe horses and grade horses, and I'm improving and creating replacements for my Tarpans; they're aging and I'll need more.

I think I've settled on Sooty Dunlianos with Tiger Eyes. That means I'll probably end up with Cremellos, and I'll have to have some stock of Chestnuts so that I don't end up only with Cremellos over multiple generations.

More information can be found on the project page. While I ask you don't post anything there, feel free to ask questions or offer comments here instead.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

New update: I've opened my training services back up. Things started to get hectic for me IRL and I ended up neglecting my breeding projects to just focus on training.

Since the first horse is trained, I'm taking a moment to look over all of my horses, sort them, cull what I don't want, rename what I do, and generally get things back to better condition on my farm.

I've made some 4* Prze x Tarpans, so I'm not making more of those for the moment. I'm focusing instead on better Tarpans once more. I'm also working on some Grade horses that eval well for Mongolian while still having great stats. I'm not sure how well that's going, but I'm doing my best.

I'm trying to up the conformations for Western Pleasure / Trail / Working Ranch, though I'm not sure how to do that so it's all guesswork. That's about it for this update.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Tips For Multiple Projects At Once

Post by EclipticEnd »

Handy tips:

Culling. Rehoming foals is fine. It's implied that you're just "selling" them to an NPC, not something more dark or devious. When you're doing a big project, you're going to get foals that don't meet your criteria. Don't be afraid to rehome them when that happens. It'll save you space, time, and money.

Speaking of, set a criteria. Anything outside of your standards gets sold or rehomed based on what you're doing. Set a baseline HGP and go from there. Are red comments okay? What's the lowest HGP you want? Does HGP even matter? What colors? Patterns? Build? Pony vs Horse Type? Figure out what you're aiming for and write it down somewhere. Reference that as you go.

If you're doing multiple projects at once, name your foals appropriately.
If you're doing Grade Horses like me, name them Grade Mare or Grade Stallion regardless of age. This lets you know how many males versus females you have, which is good to know for culling. A lot of times having a ton of stallions simply isn't great for a project. This is also good for notifications so that you know what to expect when one's not eating enough, for instance, or when one's at breeding maturity. If you truly want to, then you can always rename them at maturity.

Is space going to be an issue? Figure out how big your project will be before you start so that you can prepare for that. If you're doing something big, then get a head start on your Horse Ownership skills and start increasing your maximum horses ASAP.

Is money going to be an issue? See if anyone else is interested in doing the project with you, or see if anyone's willing to sponsor it. Offer benefits such as using the project's studs, or getting a horse from the project in return.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Current Plan for the Future

Post by EclipticEnd »

1.) Maelstroms
---Considering Sooty Cream Duns rather than Sooty Dunlianos in particular, if only to make things go quicker as I have a lot of traits to breed out if I want pure Dunlianos
---Ideally: Cream with High Expression Dun, Sooty along back to emphasize the Dorsal and Back Barring, smaller ears (not sure what that impacts Confo wise, but personal preference), non-bushy mane, either very short or long tail
---I want to keep a decent but not large herd; it needs to be manageable
---Western Pleasure, Western Trail, Working Ranch specializations

2.) Tarpan
---Consistent Tarpan breeding to improve stats and offer more coloration
---Duns, non-Duns, Creams, non-Creams, etc. But probably not Champagne per my preference
---Good for possibly offering new blood to the Maelstroms in the future, as well as to sell

3.) Przewalski?
---Not sure yet
---But if I do them mainly for Mongolians. That means pony type rather than horse type, between 11hh and 14hh, etc.
---A variety of colors as well?

4.) Breeding Quests
---Start that back up
---One breed at a time; having 4 projects like this might get overwhelming, so we want this bit to be as painless as possible
---Work on "end of the line" breeds first; get them trained and sold ASAP
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Some Updates

Post by EclipticEnd »

It's been a while since I've updated this. Here's what's going on so far:

We've achieved Tarpans! I've got a selection of 4* Mongolian ones and a 5* or two. Looking to get more 5* ones before I move on to Prze breeding. They're all above 50k HGP at the moment, the highest being at 58k HGP I think. I'd like to get them all to around 56k HGP or higher via some interbreeding. COI might suffer, but it is what it is.

Still working on getting Cream into those Tarpans. The majority are either Red or Bay Duns. my 95% Cream Tarpans are taking forever to get older, which is what's causing the delay. I'm hoping to get at least a 50k HGP one that I can breed with my 58k HGP non-cream.

The Grade Horses are coming along nicely. I've succeeded in getting the breed narrowed to Grade Horse rather than 25% something x Mixed something else. I think I've lost the Tiger Eyes, though, which I'll have to fix. I do very much want those in my herd, and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of HGP and Eval to get them if necessary.

Outside of the Maelstrom Project...

I've also been working on my Training Study. Link can be found on the main post under MISC. I have a horse almost to 84% stamina via Lunge; I'm hoping it'll go higher than the 98%, but if it doesn't then I'll get some information on how much stamina training I've actually done vs. the given total.

I have many different theories that I want to work through. It's going to take a lot of time to go through them, but I'm going to give it a shot. Am I expecting to figure out what we're missing? Not really. Am I hoping to provide information for others that may work towards that goal? Absolutely.

Besides that, I don't have a lot to report. I've maxed out Intelligence Training and I'm now working on Movement. That means both Stamina and Intelligence are complete! My freeze account has finished all of the Horse Ownership upgrades and is now working on Competition Management ones.

I've sold some of the horses in my freeze account to make room for the incoming Tarpans. I'm probably going to have to make even more room than that, but I'll worry about that later. I do have a lot of horses that I don't necessarily need, and I have some that I want to train and sell. By the way, Hilayla if you're reading this, those Tibetans and Chinese Ponies are still up for grabs if you still want them! : )

Let's see... is there anything else? I'm not sure. I'm still taking a break from public training. I'm trying to get new internet and I don't want someone's horse frozen in case there's issues. I'm going to wait until I have my Mongolians actually underway before I get back into breed breeding. Cross-breed Improvement simply takes way too much space for me to try to do some breeds and improve things.

Aside from Mongolians, I do want to have another breed going that's relatively popular. I'm actually considering doing Thoroughbreds, though I'm not entirely sure yet. I've seen some ISO for Standardbreds, Saddlebreds, Dole Gudbrandsdal (though that's just one person and rather niche), and NABs. I do think I want to have something to offer for Racing Disciplines, or maybe Endurance? I don't want to delve into Arabians; I think they're overworked as it is. I have my old Cleveland Bays? But I'm not sure that's a breed I want to go into anymore. I do have my Kirgiz which has potential for racing if I make more of them. That'd be Turkmene x Mongolian.

I might go with that. Not only do I have a plan for some good Mongolians, I also have my old group of Turkmenes that're frozen in my alt. Fun fact: one of the Kirgiz that I bred actually inspired me for my Mongolian coloration goal. That could be a fun thing to work on.

Anyway, I think that's it for me. Until next time!
Earienlasgalen
Visit My Farm

Post by Earienlasgalen »

if you've got good turmene mares, akhal tekke is a good option for racing/endurance! don't go into TB's there are already way to many of them and it's more complicated to start new lines.
I'm exited about you starting on prze as I'm having trouble finding decent ones to create new konik lines.
If you have COI pb with your tarpans I have put back one of my frozen studs on the market so feel free to use him
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2016797
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Earienlasgalen wrote:if you've got good turmene mares, akhal tekke is a good option for racing/endurance! don't go into TB's there are already way to many of them and it's more complicated to start new lines.
I'm exited about you starting on prze as I'm having trouble finding decent ones to create new konik lines.
If you have COI pb with your tarpans I have put back one of my frozen studs on the market so feel free to use him
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2016797
That's true, I haven't considered Tekes too much because of the Arabian half of the equation. I'll have to think about it some more; it'd be ideal to start a line that I can make use of for grinders as well as general showing and selling.

I have a few Prze already that're relatively high HGP, but they're definitely not good enough eval-wise save for one I think, so I'm definitely doing those. I'll grab the Konik book and if I get any that go well for Konik and less for Mongolian I'll offer them your way.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

All projects are tentatively on pause. I might pop in and use a few turns every so often, but I imagine I'll mostly just be lingering in the forums. Turns have been glitching out a bit due to my internet; sometimes I click for a new turn and no notifications appear and the page doesn't update, which means I have to go through my entire farm to check for horse ages and new foals. Beyond that, the game's just having a hard time loading horse pages in general, especially if I open multiple at once.

I've discovered that my family has the big bad virus (TM) and so new internet isn't going to be a thing until probably next month, assuming it doesn't start snowing. If it snows then it's probably not going to happen until next year. We'll see what happens.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

A little alert for anyone who's keeping an eye on this log: I've got a contest running!

Spot-light, A contest of Spots! || Over $6.5M in Prizes

This contest is for "Appaloosa" horses, in this case meaning horses with Leopard/Blanket/Fewspot/Snowcap/Snowflake patterns rather than the actual breed. If you're a breeder of those patterns then take a look!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 pm