The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

SolarSolstice Master Log

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: SolarSolstice Master Log

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've made a decision for these Shetlands. It's not necessarily the one I wanted to make yet, but I have so very many Shetlands at this point and I think it's time to really cut down on the numbers.

I'm going to start doing as I've been doing with my Forest Horses. I've got a few Pearl mares and studs now so I think this is as good a time as any. All other horses will be aged out or rehomed.

I'm going to start raising HGP on these guys. I might not end up with the facial markings which is a shame, but improvement's important and I just don't feel like I'm improving anything at this point. Sure, I'm getting 58k HGP normal horses with the facial marks, but I really want them all to be Pearls and the Pearls that I have are hovering around 40-53k HGP. (I must admit that I love the look of Palomino Pearls, but I don't want the possibility of Cremellos hovering around.)

I'm keeping four Pearl mares and any Pearl fillies. All other female Shetlands are going to be gotten rid of regardless of how good they are. The only exception will be ones that're high in HGP (around 57k+) and also have one pearl gene. I no longer care about adding variants to the Pearl; a full Apricot herd will be fine. Additional genes can be added via the other half of the Falabella/Mini equations.

I'm removing any non-Pearl studs or colts unless they have one Pearl gene and at least 57k HGP, same as the mares. Pearls will be culled based on HGP and evaluation. Anything below 50k HGP has the chance to be removed unless the horse is a decent balancer for other evaluations. Most of my Pearl studs are on the heavy side unfortunately, so any lighter/horse types will be kept.

Once that's done, it'll be HGP breeding. Foals will only be kept if they're a higher HGP than the parent of their gender. They'll then take over that parent's spot when they're older. It should be a lot more manageable and take up way less space that way.

Rehoming the other horses will really kick off once the currently pregnant mares pop. For now I'll get rid of what I can.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

It's been a few turns since last time. It's Spring of 355 for me; I should start adding this in retrospect.

I've been getting some Latvians born! I'm not sure if I noted that in any of the last updates. Three fillies so far, really hoping for a colt to pop up. I'm going to be getting rid of my younger North Swedish Horses at that point and I'll breed the older ones until they age out just in case another pops up.

Forest horses, my lovely unintentional project, have been going well. I've settled into the 60k-70k HGP range and I'm hoping to be able to cross that 70k threshold. I've tested one horse and it has an over 90% WPS with over 60 starts in Western Pleasure. I need to check what he's scoring to compare it to RH scores, but I'm pretty happy with that! I'm not intending them to be record holders but I won't say no to it either if it happens. These guys have kind of become a grinder herd for me and I'm all for it.

And Shetlands, who seem to be taking up much of my attention lately... I'm culling again. The Apricot herd is more than successful and I now need to lower their population. I'm only just getting 100% Shetlands so I don't intend to sell them yet. They'll be rehomed or aged out.

The plan for this: body size will be the biggest issue as it's a pain to fix once it's extreme. That's what's making the Latvians harder than they should be right now. Between Minis and Fals, the max is 60%. Any above 70% will no longer be used in my herd to limit this; up to 69% is redeemable. That'll be a limitation for Studs, Broods, and foals. It'll definitely decrease their population.

Next, I want to limit to one barn of Broods and one barn of Studs at any given time. The studs are fine at this stage as there's only three of them. Broods are a different story. I'm taking this phase to work on both HGP and evaluation. HGP is easy enough to raise, so the worst evaluations will be retired from breeding. I've dismissed the idea of carrying through facial markings in the herd; that will no longer matter. Focusing on that will raise COI without doing much for HGP, so I'm done with it. Facial markings will be fun to mess with again in the future, though.

I want to get this to be more similar to my Forest Horse setup where foals succeed the parents and horses are retired once a successor matures. I might end up scrapping the entire evaluation check and just focus on raising HGP; it'll be a while yet before I can work on the Criollos I need for Fals because my Sorraias are taking a dreadfully long time to appear. I imagine I'll have plenty of time to fix things back up later.

I'll edit this with anything more should I need to.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Another update for Spring 356.

Not a big time difference, I know. I'll be working more on this game in a few days I hope; I'm finally getting better internet (assuming they don't raincheck due to weather).

RBRC: The RBRC's April contest will be posted on the 1st. Despite the day's reputation, it won't be a joke (I promise). Details will be posted in the contest's page, but it deals with AC horses and Conformation scores. Other news for that is that I've finally gotten a Latvian Harness Horse colt and so I'm doing bulk sales for my leftover North Swedish Horses and Dole Gudbrandsdals. I have a sale topic up already if you're interested. When he's an adult I'll be starting some Latvian production to fulfil the club's complete checkpoints for the breed.

Forest Horses: Doing great! I just got a 66k HGP colt. His conformation isn't the best of my herd, though, so he might not be used much despite the HGP. I took another look at the disciplines and noticed that Hunter is another thing that they might be good at; I've entered my one fully trained stud into some hunter competitions (levels 1-4) and we'll see where he stands. Driven Dressage and Cutting are also contenders. I'll have to enter into those as well to check potential.

Shetlands: Doing well. All are above 50k HGP save for one which I'm keeping as a stud to balance out the heaviness in build and type that the other two have. All have at least one pearl gene, most have two. The ones that don't are high HGP and have the ability to make more pearls, hence them being kept.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Update: Summer 360

Space issues again. To be fair, I'm working on multiple projects at once and I'm surprised this hadn't happened earlier. I have... Hunter Forest Horses, Przewalskis that I'm working to improve HGP of, the Shetlands (oh man the Shetlands), Latvians, the North Swedish Horses that so far just haven't sold, etc.

I'm going through and culling what I can, but I've been doing decently at keeping up with quality and aiming for what I'm trying to make, so there's not much to do but wait for things to age out.

Anyway, the issue is this:

I've started buying up various recipe breeds; the Sorraias haven't been born past the one colt and though I've been working on expanding my Sorraia recipe herd, I've run out of patience. I now have two Sorraia mares that I'm hoping to get some fillies from.

I also got some Andalusians for Criollos. They're very fancy Sooty Dapple ones which'll (hopefully) impact the end coloration of these Mini horses that I'm working towards. They have to be mixed with Arabians for that. Only one's a mare at least so that saves space, but the colt has to age up before I can freeze him.

Lastly, I got a Garrano recipe horse. He's just a colt so he gets to age up before anything can happen and then he'll be put into my freeze account.

I've managed to get everything going for now, but it'll likely become an issue in the future. I want to keep improving my Forest Horses so I won't be stopping that. I might pause the Prze upgrading but that won't free up much room because I only have two horses max going at that right now. Hopefully horses will start aging out and things'll work out.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Update Spring 365

I'm taking things very slow because I'm once again out of space. I'm hoping that RBRC members will enter the club contest because I've gathered up some horses for it in my second farm (which is now full again) and I can't do much because I can't save any horses that I'm currently breeding.

With all the breeds that I'm doing, I do have to freeze some so this is a bit of a predicament. If the contest happens then that's great and I'll keep going, if not then I'll have to pick through my saved horses and host a sale. I'll probably be getting rid of some Tarpans and Arabians. Possibly TBs as well and of course the NSH and DG that I have in that account that I no longer need and have been trying to sell.

If you're interested in any of those, let me know! Some are strictly not for sale, but others I'd be willing to haggle for.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Still Spring 365

I haven't been taking turns due to the whole full farms predicament. I'm waiting for the contest to end and then I'm probably going to be doing a sale of grinders.

I've been giving it some thought and I might end the Maelstrom project. I no longer feel very interested in making Mongolians and the Tarpans are taking up way too much space. I'll likely be posting an ad at some point to either pass down the project to someone else or just get rid of all of the Tarpans (save for a few which will be kept as recipe horses).

Instead, I might do some work with Arabians. I know the Arabian population is seriously overinflated right now, but they're all Bay Duns and I feel like making a little group of non-Bay non-Duns will help people who are trying to escape that color pit.

I've also been holding on to some Sooty Turkmenes in the hope of starting some Sooty Dapple ones. I've not worked with that gene much and I'm interested to try it out.

Both of those will have to wait until I have space.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Last update for Spring 365:

I'm doing some farm organizing and then I'll be getting back into taking turns. I'm just doing this update to sort out what I was doing as I was doing a lot of things apparently.

Starting from the top of my farm and making my way down:

1.) I had two horses actively listed in the market (not counting any in my secondary farm). I've taken one down to allow myself to transfer horses as needed. If the one sells or ages out then I'll be putting up more North Swedish Horses from my Bulk Sale #2 pasture until those are all sold/retired.

2.) Current Grinder is Stinger, which is my currently listed public Forest Horse stud. He's 16 at the moment so I have a while left with him before he'll age out. When he does I'll be using one of my many frozen Grinders. I might end up training another Forest Horse before he ages out just to continue with my line testing.

3.) Age Out pastures are already sorted. I've rehomed the horses that I can rehome and the others are awaiting aging or selling if anyone's interested in them.

4.) Forest Horses! Both Studs and Broods are currently full. I'll need to go through them and make sure that the ones I'm keeping are up to quality for what I'm doing. I'm going to target specs for the Hunter discipline. I think that means most of them need better Movement and possibly Balance or Tempo. I have a group of foals that need confos done so I'll probably check the Gen chat for anyone doing those at the moment. (Quality check done, waiting on conformations.)

5.) MISC Horses:

I'm going to stop trying to breed Sorraias from the recipes and instead I'll be using a mare that I got from the market. I already have one Sorraia filly to continue making them with once the mare ages out as she's getting old. After I get a decent little herd I'll be freezing one mare and putting the rest to work on making Criollos.

I have two Carthusians (colt and filly). They're exclusively used to make Andalusians apparently so I'll probably freeze them until I want to tackle that breeding quest. Since I managed to get Andas from the market I no longer need to make them for my venture into Miniature Horses and I'd rather dedicate free space to other projects on this farm than complete that quest right now.

I plan to breed the Andalusian I have in order to supply the RBRC with them in the goal of Irish Draughts. I have someone interested in one Andalusian that I picked up specifically for an RBRC member so I might just pass that one over and supply a different one. I do intend to breed an Anda filly before the mare I have retires. I'm using them for Criollos so we'll see if I have time to breed some pures.

On the topic of Andas, I've been mixing them with Arabians as part of the Criollo recipe. I've finally moved one into my freeze account that's been aging as I haven't had a match for it.

Otherwise, I've emptied out the Sorraia recipes and merged the "Random Recipes" horses with the MISC ones.

6.) I'm still slowly working on Przewalskis. I'd like to increase them up above the 60k HGP range before freezing them for future use. I won't be making them competitive like I am the Forest Horses, just improving HGP so I'm trying to keep their population small with one stud and maybe a barn of broods.

7.) I'm going to cease making new Latvians from old Dole/North stock and I'm focusing on simply improving what I have to at least 60k HGP, hopefully higher. I'll be giving some to the RBRC members and then sell the rest as competitive prospects and high quality rare horses.

8.) I'm still going to be working on the Shetlands. I still want them to be Pearl. Nothing's changed there though I might go through and do some quality control to lower their numbers.

9.) Bulk Sales are still for sale.

10.) Freeze Farm things:

I'm working on getting rid of the Maelstrom stock in order to make room for future endeavors. I'm somewhat sad to see them go, but I know I probably won't be devoting the time to making them and doing them justice. Regardless, I'm slowly rehoming those that don't sell, starting with the lowest HGP and working upwards.

I'll maybe be selling some of my Grinders. The space made by the Maelstrom sales will make it so that I'm not forced to do so anymore so I also might not.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Winter 370

I'm working on clearing my farm out of Forest Horses at the moment. Some are (very slowly) being sold. Most are aging out or being rehomed.

It now occurs to me that I perhaps didn't update on that? I'm selling those now. I've decided that I'm happy with where I've gotten and I have a small group of quality horses to keep for future use, some of which I might put up for stud.

If you're interested in any, I should have a sale ad somewhere in the Horses For Sale forum. A quick tl;dr is that any in my Age Out pastures or Bulk Sale pastures are for sale. Any else where are not.

====================================================

Next casual breed will be Turkmenes. They're probably my favorite of the AC breeds. I have some Sooty ones selected, some of which are Sooty Dapples which will be exciting! I'll be breeding them together and aiming to increase HGP without using outside horses. Not only am I doing this just to have fun, but I'm also doing this as part of KYTrainer's Ancient Breed Genetic Program. Check it out if you will!

The short of it is that it's to create new lines of AC breeds, starting from AC founders and going to 60k+ HGP quality horses. I will not be keeping my line private and will be keeping at least one public stud up once I have them in the 50k HGP range. Each breed has different requirements to match. For Turkmenes, that's 5* evaluations, no crossbreeding, and 65,000 HGP or better in order for the line to officially be considered complete.

I've given myself a further list of requirements which you can find on my post to that topic.

I'll be waiting until this account is free of Forest Horses to start that. I want all the room I can possibly have.

Minis are going well. I'm getting Criollo recipes being born which will be one step closer to the end goal. It's taking a long time, but I have a lot going on IRL so I'm not overly sorry for it. Shetlands are doing great! I think my highest is at 63k HGP at the moment. I'm hoping 67k HGP will be possible; that's the highest I got my Forest Horses to. Once they hit that, I'll be saving the best evaluations. It's likely that I'll sell the remainders.

I'd have to go through everything to know exactly where I am with this project, but I'd tentatively say that I'm 60-70% of the way there.

I think that's all to report for now.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Summer 376

Took a small hiatus for an IRL event which is now over. It took a lot out of me (my feet are terribly unhappy even two days after it) and I'm working on relaxing and recovering.

Training:

Still open, still keeping the two week expected training time. Will it take less than that? Almost certainly. Do I want the added cushioning while I recover? Absolutely. Expect training to take a week at most, but keep that two week time in mind in the case that something pops up and I'm unable to play.

Forest Horses:

Still for sale and aging out. I've got a 67k HGP stud up for public use if anyone needs him. He's not trained and tested, but he's related to Stinger who was. If I'm holding onto some Forest Horses for you, feel free to contact me here. I know I had at least one group for someone that's frozen. The remaining Forest Horses on this account are at an any offer works standpoint I think, but I imagine they're more likely to age out than sell.

Shetlands:

Still going strong. Current plan is to get Mares/Fillies and Stallions/Colts above 60k HGP (or close to that) with at least 4-5 colored comments. If they have 4-5* evals for either Fals or Minis then they'll be frozen.

Funnily enough, the facial markings are making a comeback! I might make an exception and keep those regardless as they're something I wanted and gave up on early along. The fact that they're back now tells me that (just maybe) they're meant to be there. Besides, they don't have to be used for my Mini project.

Mini Project in General:

Going well I think? I'm not sure what all I have at the moment, I just got back on after my hiatus. I remember I was getting started on Criollo breeding I think? Or maybe preparing for it? I think that's correct, I know I have some Garrano X Sorraia mixes that're possibly aging up if not already mature and I definitely have Andalusian X Arabians that I've been trying to fine-tune evals with. It's the Criollo that I'm waiting on right now. I also have a tiny TB that I need to breed out some genetics from. Maybe I should start that today as well. With both of those done I'll be at Fals (finally)!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Winter 379

Updating now only because I've just had a Criollo be born. We're finally at the last mile of the Miniature breeding race!

Falabellas are Shetland Pony X [Thoroughbred X Criollo]. I have a tiny TB stud that I plan to pair with my new Criollo filly which will hopefully help with size issues. He's a Silver Cream/Pearl which is somewhat unfortunate; I want neither Silver nor Cream in these horses. It's not a big deal, though. Genes can be bred out and foals can be culled if it comes down to it.

It's very exciting! I've been working on these horses long enough that I can't wait to be done and release them to other players. As it is I'll have to decide what I'm doing with the Shetlands I've been breeding; there's a lack of high HGP Shetlands floating around and these ones also have Pearl, a gene that I don't often see utilized in the game. Maybe I can find someone willing to keep breeding them?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am