The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

How do you feed newborn foals

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
MidnightStallion
Visit My Farm

How do you feed newborn foals

Post by MidnightStallion »

Hey I'm a newbie player and was wondering how you give milk to the newborns for they get poor health and weight which makes me think I'm not doing what I should be doing is there a way to give it milk?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: How do you feed newborn foals

Post by BlackOak2 »

MidnightStallion wrote:Hey I'm a newbie player and was wondering how you give milk to the newborns for they get poor health and weight which makes me think I'm not doing what I should be doing is there a way to give it milk?
:)
You're not doing anything wrong. Newborns (and foals) are born with poor weight. It is actually the reality. Here's some background that might simplify it for you.
When a foal (approximately most baby animals), they're born with minimal fat on their bodies. When in the womb, they don't need any fat to keep themselves warm and indeed, fat is the 'extra' that our body uses to store for those 'in-case' moments of need. During gestation, all of these 'in-case' moments are actually covered by and fully taken care of, by the mother, in this case, the mare.
So, they will be born in 'poor weight' designation because for their size, they are underweight (lacking the excess fat that every body needs for basic survival).

But don't worry, just like in real life, our foals are designed to put on that necessary fat in spades and quickly. All you might need to do, is keep the foal (not necessarily the mare) in a nice, plush pasture. For your taller foals (think draft breeds), you may need to limit how many foals are in the pasture (half capacity should do it). And for the smaller foals, you may need to keep the pasture a bit more mown.

Either way, don't worry too much over their weight. Our horses cannot 'move on to greener pastures' by being starved or overfed. They can only go by old age (starts at 17 years and increases minutely thereafter with each turn).

When a foal is weaned (6 months) we, the community, recommend to put the foal on weight gain as necessary to keep their feed intake just in the positive end.
At 8 months, they will start chow-hounding and may not be able to eat enough. At 1-year, they will change their stomach size and be able to eat more. Then at their second birthday, they will suddenly be able to eat a huge amount and their requirements will drop considerably.

Anything else? :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
MidnightStallion
Visit My Farm

Re: How do you feed newborn foals

Post by MidnightStallion »

Nope that's about it thanks :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm