Community Forum

Breeding for Western Pleasure Florida Crackers

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Breeding for Western Pleasure Florida Crackers

Post by BlackOak2 »

Phalaenopsis wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
Thank you so much! I'm starting to do some serious weeding/rehoming of foals that don't fit the WAB criteria, as that's the next breed I need.
Talking about recipe horses and the half-breeds, do they need to be 50% of each breed (ex., NAB x Forest Horse) or can it be more or less of one of the 2 to still count? 'Cause my trouble now is breeding that cross but it doesn't evaluate at all to the WAB. I had a NABxForest cross filly that I rehomed as she didn't fit the body size and type criteria; and now wondering if rehoming her was a mistake lol
Percentages don't matter.
Just as long as the breeds that are required are named in the breed and breeds that aren't required do not appear in your breed name.

If the recipe calls for an NAB x Forest and your percentages show something like NAB x Forest (12%), if that horse has the right requirements and throws a foal, it has just a good a chance of being what you're looking for as a horse with a 50/50 breed.

So, the req's are more important then the percentages.

https://horseworldonline.net/forum/view ... 12&t=16282
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40942

Both of these links go in-depth into recipe breeding and troubles. So if you don't get what you're looking for and you need some additional information, you can look through them at your leisure.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Post by Phalaenopsis »

BlackOak2 wrote:Ping
Sandalwood Project wrote:Ping
Thank you guys so much! The more I read about this, the more excited I am about getting to the final goal!
Sandalwood, I'll definitely PM you if I have any questions! ^_^
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

;)
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Post by Phalaenopsis »

I'm very slowly getting there!
Just bred my first 5* WAB https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3816417 and she is gorgeous!

But now I've realized that I'm too far ahead in one area, and forgot to breed in another. I have yet to breed the Mongolians to eventually breed Sorraias with the WAB. I don't want this girlie to age up too quickly before I get to where I actually need her, so it begs the question - how do I freeze horses? I know it has something to do with transferring horses between 1 account and another, but how do you do it?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Phalaenopsis wrote:I'm very slowly getting there!
Just bred my first 5* WAB https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3816417 and she is gorgeous!

But now I've realized that I'm too far ahead in one area, and forgot to breed in another. I have yet to breed the Mongolians to eventually breed Sorraias with the WAB. I don't want this girlie to age up too quickly before I get to where I actually need her, so it begs the question - how do I freeze horses? I know it has something to do with transferring horses between 1 account and another, but how do you do it?
Congrats! She is a gorgeous little girl. :D

Freezing horses requires a secondary account where you simply don't use turns. In order for you to have another account, you will need another email address. Transferring money and horses between accounts is allowable on HWO. Although many of us attempt to keep things separate. I do so by paying an account for it's services, even if I own the other account.

Also, the mare can not pass on, when she is pregnant. However, you will run the risk of loosing her on the day she gives birth. HWO horses earn their ability to pass on, on their 17th birthday and incrementally inch upward with each turn used. Naturally, the earliest I've ever lost one, was a turn or two after my mare turned 17. It surprised me, but wasn't exactly unexpected.
Most of the horses will leave between 22 and 24 years. I've had a couple stallions last until they were 27... one I think reached 28. I think I remember somebody else had a stallion reach 33 years. The mares are far easier to keep around. By keeping my own pregnant, I can regularly keep them around until 30. Others have been able to keep theirs around well into their 40's. So, with a little bit of luck, you'll be able to keep your mares around. And with a freezing account, you can put others 'on ice' until you need them again.

Mongolians are hit and miss. You'll either find a pair of parents that throw mongol's almost every foal, or you'll find a pair that just won't. :lol: Sorraias however... are a little different. They are notoriously a harder breed to get. And it's because their req's are different from the parents. Tarpans tend to keep medium or prefer heavier. You'll want a lighter-favoring for the sorraias. So, expect some trouble with them. :D *Mongol's will want to favor heavier and WAB tends to medium-out or favor heavier as well.*

In case you need more information on transferring. Use Private Sale only. That's clicking the little box when you put a horse up for sale and leaving the price box empty. You can also put in a 0 into the price box, but I find it much more mind-settling getting into the habit of an empty price box. Log out, log into your other account, put in your price [$1], log out, log into the first, and accept your bid. And always pause to double check the name of the account you're accepting the bid on.
You can also have two accounts up at once using two different browsers or by using the private browsing options on the browsers.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
ImaCountryGirl
Visit My Farm

Post by ImaCountryGirl »

I've been trying to work on florida crackers also. I gave up on working starting from the original breeds :cry: too hard/time consuming.
I've got some part FC stallions in this pasture
https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/183259
and 2 old Florida Cracker studs in this barn
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3778374
if you can use any of them i'd be happy to put him up for you :D
"Make Hay While The Sun Shines"
Become a Patron!