The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Better Tarpan Troop (BTT) || Open

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: Better Tarpan Troop (BTT) || Open

Post by EclipticEnd »

Sounds good. I'll check things out. : D
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've removed Dressage from the show list disciplines. Hunter and Cross Country both require the same temperament and Dressage is an outlier, so I thought it best to do so. Pay has been altered accordingly.

I'm keeping Hunter purely because I remember my Tarpans doing decently in that discipline way back when I first had them.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Update 2

Post by EclipticEnd »

I'm also removing Hunter; they're doing pretty well at Cross Country and as you're focusing on that, I'm going to follow your lead. Pay will remain at 50k.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

I've decided I'm going to keep my best Tarpans and mix them with heavier breeds. My personal goal with them is to eventually have better Mongolians and those tend to be a bit bulkier and heavier than Tarpans. Theoretically I can get some good heart genes going as well as some new colors.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Here's my progress right now:

I'm improving my group of Tarpans for Mongolian breeding specifically; I'm looking to improve stats while also altering them to better evaluate for Mongolians. This heavier and stockier version of the breed might also be beneficial for others, but I haven't been testing for any other than Mongolian.

I have a lot of promising foals at the moment. I realized a bit too late that I needed at least another breed to stop them from being "Tarpan X Belgian [95%]" and instead make them "Part Tarpan [95%]", for example. This is for breeding purposes as you can use a Part Tarpan in place of a Pure Tarpan, but you cannot use Part Tarpan x Belgian.

I have a group that I'm trying to get 100% back to Tarpan and I'm making some Tarpan X Shetlands to mix in with them as well. COI seems to be staying below 40%. I'd love to get it below 30% or 20%, and hopefully introducing a new group via new Tarpans and Shetlands will do that.

I have quite a few 4* evals where they're just too tall, a side effect of using Belgians instead of Shetlands. I used Belgians as I have my own high HGP stock, and there's a limited amount of higher HGP Shetlands. The Tarpan side seems to be evening things out for the most part, and if I can end up with a bunch of 4* evals then I'll be happy.

I've decided to do a process in which I mix them and breed them back to pure, and then I mix them again. I'm hopeful that this will increase their HGP and hopefully get the various stats to an average positive, even if not green comment. I did this with Belgians and got them to a point where they were 50,000 HGP and only had one or two colored comments simply because the others averaged out very positively. We'll see how it goes; I'll have a harder time doing this with Tarpans simply because there's not a lot of higher HGP pure studs out and about, which was the key for the Belgians.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Wanted to share this achievement: 100% Tarpan Filly, 5* for Mongolian!

ropeacowboy
Visit My Farm

Post by ropeacowboy »

Hello there! I'm glad to see a breeding group dedicated to breeding better Tarpans. I have a couple herds devoted to this and I was braving the goal on my own. I'm open to collaborating or swapping stallions. Here's just some of my own.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/166907
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ropeacowboy wrote:Hello there! I'm glad to see a breeding group dedicated to breeding better Tarpans. I have a couple herds devoted to this and I was braving the goal on my own. I'm open to collaborating or swapping stallions. Here's just some of my own.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/166907
That's great! You're welcome to join as a breeder if you'd like; I've somewhat given up on the rest of the roles as I feel like it's more important to get a good stock of horses rather than test and retest for the best competitive genes.

Joining would just mean that you'd have access to some funds if you need any at any point, collaborate with other members for new blood for your stock, etc.
ropeacowboy
Visit My Farm

Post by ropeacowboy »

Thanks for the invite! I don't do much in the way of competing but I like having access to new stock. Having Tarpans with a larger body size and decent GP is one of my goals. I'm always looking for more stallions to use.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ropeacowboy wrote:Thanks for the invite! I don't do much in the way of competing but I like having access to new stock. Having Tarpans with a larger body size and decent GP is one of my goals. I'm always looking for more stallions to use.
I'll add you to the list, then. I think all I have is mares at the moment as I let most of my stock age out while training. Sadly I'd forgotten to transfer two of my best stallions, so I'll be forced to make more again, but it is what it is. My Tarpans are focused more on Mongolian shape and size (so medium/medium heavy, somewhat pony), so I might be able to offer some bigger ones to trade or to stud in the future!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:12 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:12 am