The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

PLEASE HELP I HAVE A QUESTION OR TWO!

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Candyman
Visit My Farm

PLEASE HELP I HAVE A QUESTION OR TWO!

Post by Candyman »

Hey everybody, I have a question which later may become questions.

I am trying to breed a Nonius but only get grade horses, then I started evaluating horses I mix with the breed's book so I know which ones are most likely to produce the new breed. But now I tried breeding a Norman Cob because I couldn't find one that was good, I did all the right things and got a half Belgian. Can anybody tell me why? I did breed Belgian mares so I got Belgian x Tarpan and Belgian x Forest and when I look at the breed creation it says Tarpan x Belgian and Forest x Belgian for Norman Cob. So does that mean that fathers must be Belgians? Is that why I didn't get the Norman Cob?
Madonna
Visit My Farm

Re: PLEASE HELP I HAVE A QUESTION OR TWO!

Post by Madonna »

Candyman wrote:Hey everybody, I have a question which later may become questions.

I am trying to breed a Nonius but only get grade horses, then I started evaluating horses I mix with the breed's book so I know which ones are most likely to produce the new breed. But now I tried breeding a Norman Cob because I couldn't find one that was good, I did all the right things and got a half Belgian. Can anybody tell me why? I did breed Belgian mares so I got Belgian x Tarpan and Belgian x Forest and when I look at the breed creation it says Tarpan x Belgian and Forest x Belgian for Norman Cob. So does that mean that fathers must be Belgians? Is that why I didn't get the Norman Cob?
No, you must just keep trying and be patient. Even if both parents have 5/5 evaluation for Norman Cob or Nonius that doesn't mean that colt will be that breed. I acheved to breed new breed out of parents that both have N/A evaluation for that breed.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

A very good portion of whether you'll end up with the foal is just random chance. When you do eval the parents, one thing you can do is look for parents with height/size/type closer to the middle of the range accepted for the breed you're trying to make, and that can give you a better chance.
Additionally, when you're breeding two ingredient crosses together, neither of them need to be 50/50 crosses, and the order of the breeds doesn't matter. You can have a 75% Belgian/25% Forest Horse and a 60% Tarpan/40% Belgian and as long as the breeds are in the cross and the foal evals as the breed you're trying to create, it shouldn't matter.
YixingLao
Visit My Farm

Post by YixingLao »

I think it's best to be patient and just keep trying. The breeding of horses takes a lot of time and process. A way you'll find if you'll end up with a foal is pure chance. To make the chances higher, you can either look for possible parents height and size to make their type closer to the breed you want. When you're breeding horses, there always a 75% chance of getting the right breed if you're very careful. Aside from breeding horses, have you guys tried picking strawberries at Strawberry Farm Japan? They have the sweetest and freshest strawberries. Reference and information https://karuizawa-sikisai.com/production/
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am