The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Help

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
RummyTummy
Visit My Farm

Help

Post by RummyTummy »

Hi! I'm trying to breed for a trakehner at the moment but i've something is not right.
For a trakehner its (Mongolian X Turkmene) X (Arabian TB) Which is what i did. But i got a... grade horse? :?
Something is wrong. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong but i need help, thanks!
islandhill
Visit My Farm

Re: Help

Post by islandhill »

RummyTummy wrote:Hi! I'm trying to breed for a trakehner at the moment but i've something is not right.
For a trakehner its (Mongolian X Turkmene) X (Arabian TB) Which is what i did. But i got a... grade horse? :?
Something is wrong. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong but i need help, thanks!
From my experience with crossbreeds, the journey is long and difficult XD Sometimes you need to just keep trying until a Trakehner just "happens". Also, make sure your crosses have the exact cross. For example, if you were to cross a Mongolian and Turkmene and the cross (on the horses breed description) came out to be a Turkmene x Mongolian (with the breeds reversed) then that would not work for an exact cross to create a Trakie. In other words, your breeds need to be exactly what the breeds wiki says. Which, you may already know XD

Another important factor in creating a breed from "scratch" is a horses eval. I try to get an eval as high as possible (4-5). These evaluation books can be found in the book store under the market tab, and they can be used to evaluate your Arabian, Turkmene, Arabian, and TB that you are using to breed the Trakehner.

I hope this helps a little bit! And honestly, the best thing to do sometimes is wait XD While the process in breeding is long, it is worth it!

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
RummyTummy
Visit My Farm

Post by RummyTummy »

islandhill wrote:
RummyTummy wrote:Hi! I'm trying to breed for a trakehner at the moment but i've something is not right.
From my experience with crossbreeds, the journey is long and difficult XD Sometimes you need to just keep trying until a Trakehner just "happens". Also, make sure your crosses have the exact cross. For example, if you were to cross a Mongolian and Turkmene and the cross (on the horses breed description) came out to be a Turkmene x Mongolian (with the breeds reversed) then that would not work for an exact cross to create a Trakie. In other words, your breeds need to be exactly what the breeds wiki says. Which, you may already know XD

Another important factor in creating a breed from "scratch" is a horses eval. I try to get an eval as high as possible (4-5). These evaluation books can be found in the book store under the market tab, and they can be used to evaluate your Arabian, Turkmene, Arabian, and TB that you are using to breed the Trakehner.

I hope this helps a little bit! And honestly, the best thing to do sometimes is wait XD While the process in breeding is long, it is worth it!
Thanks SO much, that really helped!
Especially cause I didn't realize i had a (TB X Arabian) and not (Arabian X TB) :lol: :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RummyTummy wrote:
islandhill wrote: From my experience with crossbreeds, the journey is long and difficult XD Sometimes you need to just keep trying until a Trakehner just "happens". Also, make sure your crosses have the exact cross. For example, if you were to cross a Mongolian and Turkmene and the cross (on the horses breed description) came out to be a Turkmene x Mongolian (with the breeds reversed) then that would not work for an exact cross to create a Trakie. In other words, your breeds need to be exactly what the breeds wiki says. Which, you may already know XD

Especially cause I didn't realize i had a (TB X Arabian) and not (Arabian X TB) :lol: :lol:
As a short correction, reversing the breeds doesn't matter. As long as you're not reversing the breeds across the recipe (for instance, a tb x arabian to a hanoverian x mongolian, you shouldn't do a tb x mongolian to a hanogerian x arabian). Although there is some research into this area, there is no evidence that crossing like this works. So stick to the recipe, but having a tb x arabian OR an arabian x tb, is still following the recipe and will work.

If I remember correctly, with an exact 50/50 cross horse, it names the stallion's breed first and then the mare.

As a last note, even with everything completely correct and the foal pops out with perfect requirements for the breed you want, it'll still be a 50/50 flip of the coin for if your foal will be the new breed. So take a look at the foal's req's for the new breed and see how closely it comes. You can go from there, to see if you need to manage or change your parent horses (i.e. the foal comes out too tall, then switch out the tall parent, etc.).
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RummyTummy
Visit My Farm

Post by RummyTummy »

BlackOak2 wrote:
RummyTummy wrote:
As a short correction, reversing the breeds doesn't matter. As long as you're not reversing the breeds across the recipe (for instance, a tb x arabian to a hanoverian x mongolian, you shouldn't do a tb x mongolian to a hanogerian x arabian). Although there is some research into this area, there is no evidence that crossing like this works. So stick to the recipe, but having a tb x arabian OR an arabian x tb, is still following the recipe and will work.

If I remember correctly, with an exact 50/50 cross horse, it names the stallion's breed first and then the mare.

As a last note, even with everything completely correct and the foal pops out with perfect requirements for the breed you want, it'll still be a 50/50 flip of the coin for if your foal will be the new breed. So take a look at the foal's req's for the new breed and see how closely it comes. You can go from there, to see if you need to manage or change your parent horses (i.e. the foal comes out too tall, then switch out the tall parent, etc.).
So if i unserstand correctly, if it's a (Mongolian X turkmene) X (Arabian x TB) The stallion would be the (Mongolian X turkmene) and the mare would be the (Arabian x TB)?

Cause if so, i've been doing it wrong :?
islandhill
Visit My Farm

Post by islandhill »

RummyTummy wrote:
islandhill wrote: From my experience with crossbreeds, the journey is long and difficult XD Sometimes you need to just keep trying until a Trakehner just "happens". Also, make sure your crosses have the exact cross. For example, if you were to cross a Mongolian and Turkmene and the cross (on the horses breed description) came out to be a Turkmene x Mongolian (with the breeds reversed) then that would not work for an exact cross to create a Trakie. In other words, your breeds need to be exactly what the breeds wiki says. Which, you may already know XD

No problem! Happy I could help :)

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RummyTummy wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

So if i unserstand correctly, if it's a (Mongolian X turkmene) X (Arabian x TB) The stallion would be the (Mongolian X turkmene) and the mare would be the (Arabian x TB)?

It also doesn't matter which one is the mare and which one is the stallion.
As long as the one parent is mongolian x turkmene and the other parent is an arabian x tb, then you have the recipe correct.
So it doesn't matter if the stallion is the mongolian x turk in this equation, or if it's the mare. What matters is that the parents aren't crossed over. So the parent can't be a mongolian x tb or a mongolian x arab.

So, gender doesn't matter on either side of the recipe equation.
Also, percentages don't matter on either side of the recipe equation.
Just as long as you don't cross the recipe breeds across the equation.

Does that make sense?
We also have a more in-depth guide on tackling the recipe breed quests.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RummyTummy
Visit My Farm

Post by RummyTummy »

BlackOak2 wrote:
RummyTummy wrote:

It also doesn't matter which one is the mare and which one is the stallion.
As long as the one parent is mongolian x turkmene and the other parent is an arabian x tb, then you have the recipe correct.
So it doesn't matter if the stallion is the mongolian x turk in this equation, or if it's the mare. What matters is that the parents aren't crossed over. So the parent can't be a mongolian x tb or a mongolian x arab.

So, gender doesn't matter on either side of the recipe equation.
Also, percentages don't matter on either side of the recipe equation.
Just as long as you don't cross the recipe breeds across the equation.

Does that make sense?
We also have a more in-depth guide on tackling the recipe breed quests.
Yup! Thanks!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 am