Community Forum

Updates and Such

Official announcements about the new game.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Updates and Such

Post by larissar »

Hello Horse World Online friends!

I'm sure you've all been wondering what's going on. Looks like its been quite some time since our last update post here so I wanted to fill you all in. Horse World Online will be getting a new server in the not to distant future. Woo!

In order to prepare for the move a number of things have been happening. First, a new development/testing server was setup to replace the old one. Technically there will be two testing servers. One running the old/existing software to make sure everything runs correctly in that environment. A second one will be setup just prior to the official move to replicate the new environment and make sure everything works 200% before we actually launch the new server. Its a major upgrade to the operating system as well as the web-server software and we want the process to be as seamless as possible.

Secondly, we're migrating all (ALL!) the horse images and other supporting files from the existing CDN (Content Delivery Network) to a new one. This alone is a major job which required some code changes on the live game, as well as some custom tools to actually migrate all the files. I currently have the testing server setup to do this migration since it pretty much has to run 24/7. We are currently 2.7 MILLION files migrated and that's only about half the files.

There are a little more code changes that are required on the live game to finalise the second half of the files to transfer, which should be active this week, and at that point I suspect the rest of the migration should hopefully only take a few weeks. That doesn't mean a new server comes in a couple weeks though, there are still many more steps left in the process. We want to make sure everything is working well. Don't forget you can always follow us on our Patreon where I'm posting more often and with more details. The Patreon also helps cover the costs of running this game and all these servers.

As always, hope you all continue to enjoy this game!
amgandy07
Visit My Farm

Re: Updates and Such

Post by amgandy07 »

how can i make money fast i really struggle with keeping my money

please help!!!!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

amgandy07 wrote:how can i make money fast i really struggle with keeping my money

please help!!!!
You will need a grinder.
Grinder = a horse usable in local competitions for the bread & butter earnings of a stable.
A grinder is usually a fully trained horse that can pull nominally firsts in level 10 of some competition (try in-hand if nothing else works) of local shows (not player-made competitions). Sometimes a grinder can also compete in player-made competitions, but this isn't often the case.

Post in the general chit chat forum that you're looking for a grinder and that you're struggling with making some money. In this way, you will get offers of a cheap grinder or also a donation of money to help you along.

For more reading on how to make money, look at these links:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9597
viewtopic.php?p=265203
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32165
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34548

Good Luck!
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
carlWoof
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by carlWoof »

larissar wrote:Hello Horse World Online friends!
Secondly, we're migrating all (ALL!) the horse images and other supporting files from the existing CDN (Content Delivery Network) to a new one. This alone is a major job which required some code changes on the live game, as well as some custom tools to actually migrate all the files. I currently have the testing server setup to do this migration since it pretty much has to run 24/7. We are currently 2.7 MILLION files migrated and that's only about half the files.
I hate when people start giving me dev advice without knowing the full context or any of the details of the implementation, so apologies in advance for this...

Why are the images stored at all?
They appear to be dynamically generated from assets that get distorted and layered clientside, at least when the horse is first generated (e.g. when adopting).

Why not just store the params in the DB and always render the horse images clientside?
If client-side performance is a problem, browser Web Storage could be used as a cache.
That's assuming the underlying assets and image generation algo doesn't change too often. If it does, then it becomes a bit of a nightmare (versioning).

And while i'm on the subject, often times there are significant delays and hiccups in page load times. If i had to guess (and again, apologies for assuming too much and guessing too much and pontificating) i'd guess the DB is the culprit - namely, competition etc. updates that run in the background (cron job?) locking tables (lots of JOINs perhaps?) and causing app performance to suffer.

What i've found a good rule of thumb in situations like this is to keep the data that's being recorded and updated as an offline job away from the results of those updates (completely different tables, or even databases), so that a background update job impacts user experience less. Then when an update job is finished, and has updated the "main" table or tables, the dedicated lightweight results DB can get the results dumped into via a much lighter query that (presumably) does not lock too many rows at a time and uses no joins (implicating further tables).

As a sidenote... Are you using Redis?

(And once again, apologies!)
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

carlWoof wrote:
larissar wrote:Hello Horse World Online friends!
I hate when people start giving me dev advice without knowing the full context or any of the details of the implementation, so apologies in advance for this...

Why are the images stored at all?
They appear to be dynamically generated from assets that get distorted and layered clientside, at least when the horse is first generated (e.g. when adopting).

Why not just store the params in the DB and always render the horse images clientside?
If client-side performance is a problem, browser Web Storage could be used as a cache.
That's assuming the underlying assets and image generation algo doesn't change too often. If it does, then it becomes a bit of a nightmare (versioning).

And while i'm on the subject, often times there are significant delays and hiccups in page load times. If i had to guess (and again, apologies for assuming too much and guessing too much and pontificating) i'd guess the DB is the culprit - namely, competition etc. updates that run in the background (cron job?) locking tables (lots of JOINs perhaps?) and causing app performance to suffer.

What i've found a good rule of thumb in situations like this is to keep the data that's being recorded and updated as an offline job away from the results of those updates (completely different tables, or even databases), so that a background update job impacts user experience less. Then when an update job is finished, and has updated the "main" table or tables, the dedicated lightweight results DB can get the results dumped into via a much lighter query that (presumably) does not lock too many rows at a time and uses no joins (implicating further tables).

As a sidenote... Are you using Redis?

(And once again, apologies!)
Before we launched the game we did tests of client side rendering. There are numerous complex reasons why that isn't the best option, mostly boiling down to much longer page load times and the fact that storage is cheap.

We are currently doing a major server migration. It's a delicate process of moving files, making changes and updates so the game works on the new system, testing to see that it still works properly and doing it all while the game is live and trying not to bring the whole thing down while we do it!

We are using Redis, yes.

Thank you for your interest in the game! :)
carlWoof
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by carlWoof »

Tom wrote: We are currently doing a major server migration. It's a delicate process of moving files, making changes and updates so the game works on the new system, testing to see that it still works properly and doing it all while the game is live and trying not to bring the whole thing down while we do it!
Aaah! I didn't know it's still in progress!
Sorry to be a bother :)
Live migrations are a pain.
AureRed
Visit My Farm

Post by AureRed »

Take your time I was really happy when I saw in the training panel that there is a new thing coming soon and it looks nice I just love that my beloved game will get something fresh stuff and good luck with migration ;)
Crystalized_horse3
Visit My Farm

Post by Crystalized_horse3 »

Neat
glaselkj2021
Visit My Farm

Post by glaselkj2021 »

hey larissar when is the halloween 2021 event going to start cause im waiting for the halloween clothes to come
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

glaselkj2021 wrote:hey larissar when is the halloween 2021 event going to start cause im waiting for the halloween clothes to come
Halloween clothes have already arrived. Check out the market, tack store. They'll be right at the top in the limited section.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!