Community Forum

Spot-light, A contest of Spots! || Winners Announced

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: Spot-light, A contest of Spots! || Over $6.5M in Prizes

Post by EclipticEnd »

horsegirl008~2 wrote:Hey, I have another question...
What exactly are snowflakes??? I can't find anything about it on Google, but I'm kind of thinking that they're little random spots on the horses' coats that look like...well...snowflakes :lol:
One more question, sorry! By 'highest spot density' you mean the most amount of spots on the horse, right?
Tysm!!
Links will go to in game horses that show the trait(s) mentioned.

Snowflakes are white speckles that show when a horse has some sort of LP gene, that being the leopard pattern complex. They're spots of white which don't immediately show on foals and instead appear over time as the foal ages. I think I did some testing and found that they'll show up sometime around 6-8 months, but it's been a while so I can't guarantee that I'm remembering that right. IRL, the spots would grow with age. In the game, however, they're an overlay that fades into view with age and stays the same size throughout the horse's life.

The LP gene controls if a horse has a blanket or snowcap, as well as the extended versions being leopard and fewspot. The difference between the two is how the white patterning works; for blankets and leopards you'll see it's more solid, and for snowcaps and fewspots it looks very dotty and splattered at the edges. It's worth noting that there's not a "true" leopard and fewspot gene that's been found as far as I'm aware; just extended patterns of blanket and snowcap that breeders have managed to cover horses with.

It also controls varnish roaning and snowflakes. A horse doesn't have to have a blanket or snowcap or anything in order to varnish or produce snowflakes, but most usually if a horse varnishes it will at the very least have snowflakes somewhere.

Hope that answers your first question! I don't mind the questions, no worries!

As for your second question, yes. I'll use my example that I just gave Gabby: this one has a lower density of spots than this one, and this one has a lower density than this one. Think of it kind of like the potential for spots; if the horse were completely covered in white, how many spots would it have in comparison to another horse?

I wasn't aiming for the largest blanket or the smallest blanket, but rather how many spots appear in a close cluster; if there's a lot of room between the spots then there's a lower density. If the spots tend to run into each other, then that's a very high density coat.

I'll go ahead and edit the main post with that clarification.
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

EclipticEnd wrote:
horsegirl008~2 wrote:Hey, I have another question...
What exactly are snowflakes??? I can't find anything about it on Google, but I'm kind of thinking that they're little random spots on the horses' coats that look like...well...snowflakes :lol:
One more question, sorry! By 'highest spot density' you mean the most amount of spots on the horse, right?
Tysm!!
Links will go to in game horses that show the trait(s) mentioned.

Snowflakes are white speckles that show when a horse has some sort of LP gene, that being the leopard pattern complex. They're spots of white which don't immediately show on foals and instead appear over time as the foal ages. I think I did some testing and found that they'll show up sometime around 6-8 months, but it's been a while so I can't guarantee that I'm remembering that right. IRL, the spots would grow with age. In the game, however, they're an overlay that fades into view with age and stays the same size throughout the horse's life.

The LP gene controls if a horse has a blanket or snowcap, as well as the extended versions being leopard and fewspot. The difference between the two is how the white patterning works; for blankets and leopards you'll see it's more solid, and for snowcaps and fewspots it looks very dotty and splattered at the edges. It's worth noting that there's not a "true" leopard and fewspot gene that's been found as far as I'm aware; just extended patterns of blanket and snowcap that breeders have managed to cover horses with.

It also controls varnish roaning and snowflakes. A horse doesn't have to have a blanket or snowcap or anything in order to varnish or produce snowflakes, but most usually if a horse varnishes it will at the very least have snowflakes somewhere.

Hope that answers your first question! I don't mind the questions, no worries!

As for your second question, yes. I'll use my example that I just gave Gabby: this one has a lower density of spots than this one, and this one has a lower density than this one. Think of it kind of like the potential for spots; if the horse were completely covered in white, how many spots would it have in comparison to another horse?

I wasn't aiming for the largest blanket or the smallest blanket, but rather how many spots appear in a close cluster; if there's a lot of room between the spots then there's a lower density. If the spots tend to run into each other, then that's a very high density coat.

I'll go ahead and edit the main post with that clarification.

This is great - thank you!!!
Bluerushy
Visit My Farm

Re: Entry Form

Post by Bluerushy »

EclipticEnd wrote:Quote me!

Username(s) (Main and Sides): Bluerushy, Blueyarrow2

Largest Spot Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3338328

Smallest Spot Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3580254

Highest Spot Density Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3471125

Lowest Spot Density Entry
Link To Horse:

Most Snowflakes Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3356148

In the case that you win a horse...
Would you like a horse?: Yes!
Some people don't really want a random horse, so if you don't then I'll just transfer the money and I won't get you a horse.
Breed Preference: Any is fine!
Gender Preference: Mare

Write Any Comments/Questions Below
Thank you for hosting this! I hope I have done everything correctly :)
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Bluerushy wrote: Thank you for hosting this! I hope I have done everything correctly :)
Of course! Everything looks good and I've added your entries to the list. Good luck!
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

Edited my highest-spot density entry
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

horsegirl008~2 wrote:Edited my highest-spot density entry
The list has been updated.
horsegirl008~2
Visit My Farm

Post by horsegirl008~2 »

EclipticEnd wrote:
horsegirl008~2 wrote:Edited my highest-spot density entry
The list has been updated.
Thanks!
Gabby_Woodlark
Location: Ehem... My soul is inside my body if that's what you're asking.
Visit My Farm

Post by Gabby_Woodlark »

Gabby_Woodlark wrote:
EclipticEnd wrote:Quote me!

Username(s) (Main and Sides): Gabby_Woodlark, Gabby Woodlark, GabbysPets, Gabbys Pets

Largest Spot Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3615365

Smallest Spot Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3702923

Highest Spot Density Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3598339 (Would this count? I'm horrible with coloring -_-)

Lowest Spot Density Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3648616

Most Snowflakes Entry
Link To Horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3702923

In the case that you win a horse...
Would you like a horse?: Yes, please :)
Some people don't really want a random horse, so if you don't then I'll just transfer the money and I won't get you a horse.
Breed Preference: Mainly Thoroughbreds but anything will do ^^
Gender Preference: Mare

Write Any Comments/Questions Below
Question for most snowflakes:

Does snowcap/fewspot count as snowflakes? If so, I'll change my entry for that :)
Edited my smallest spot and most snowflakes entries :)

╚»★> Gabby_Woodlark <★«╝
Breeding, Training, Showing
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Gabby_Woodlark wrote:Edited my smallest spot and most snowflakes entries :)
Noted and updated. Also I missed that question on your form; snowflakes and the white part of snowcaps/fewspots don't count for smallest spots.
Gabby_Woodlark
Location: Ehem... My soul is inside my body if that's what you're asking.
Visit My Farm

Post by Gabby_Woodlark »

EclipticEnd wrote:
Gabby_Woodlark wrote:Edited my smallest spot and most snowflakes entries :)
Noted and updated. Also I missed that question on your form; snowflakes and the white part of snowcaps/fewspots don't count for smallest spots.
Alright, ty :D

╚»★> Gabby_Woodlark <★«╝
Breeding, Training, Showing
Become a Patron!