The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

HW Newsletter Writer's Chat

RenegadePegasus
Visit My Farm

Re: HW Newsletter Writer's Chat

Post by RenegadePegasus »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

Schedule
Racing Section- posted on the 1st of each month
Both English Sections- posted one week later on the same day as the 1st
Both Western Sections- posted one week later on the same day as the 1st
Driving Section- posted on week later on the same day as the 1st

Rules
*You are being paid to write for me ($50,000 per issue), and you agreed to follow my rules when I hired you. Therefore, if you break one rule, you will get a warning and it will be overlooked; if you break two, you will get another, firmer warning; but if you break three or more rules, you will be fired.

1. Absolutely no foul language
2. I have a right to ask for something in your newsletter to be removed, and if I ask it to be removed, it had better be removed within 24 hours (unless you are Sawd who is only on on the weekends :))
3. Please model your newsletter branches after mine (too many different formats can be confusing for readers); however, I do want to see a personal twist :D
4. Please, please, please keep in contact with me! This is very important! I want to hear everything and anything you have to say about the newsletter. If you don't like something I'm doing, tell me. I want to hear it, I promise. Nothing is too "mean" or "harsh." I like it when you can be honest and upfront with me. :) I want to hear your suggestions! (and anything else you have to say too! :))
5. Please bookmark this page so that we don't always have to quote one another.
I suppose it's just about time for me to step in.
I need to know who's still willing to do the newsletters and who's not. I do plan to make some short changes, really for streamlining, making writing it a little easier and perhaps quicker to check facts.

I would like a confirmed yea or nay from each of you whether you're continuing or not. So now would be the time to put in your resignations if there's more of you that can't continue.

_h a z e l_ and I will still be in close contact over the newsletter for the time being and I won't make any changes that any of you are seriously opposed to. So what I quoted above (the original rules) are very unlikely to change at all (including the pay-per-issue).

As a last note, if any of you have suggestions for changes to your separate newsletters or the overall newsletter or for how you go about fact-checking, now would also be the time to voice your options. Or if you want to switch or take over another section, this is also the time to request it. You can vote here, in a PM or request/catch me in chat.

Lila25172 - Western Scored Section - Unanswered remaining/leaving
Kamichi Stables - English Eventing Section - possible leaving - confirmation needed - will this coming week be covered?
Sawd10 - English Other Section - Unanswered remaining/leaving
Veterinarian - Driving Section - Unanswered remaining/leaving
_h a z e l_ - Racing Section - Replaced/Covered (potentially with BlackOak2)
I’m keeping my spot. I know that I’ll get this issue in on time.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RenegadePegasus wrote: I’m keeping my spot. I know that I’ll get this issue in on time.
Thank you. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

Schedule

Rules
*You are being paid to write for me ($50,000 per issue), and you agreed to follow my rules when I hired you. Therefore, if you break one rule, you will get a warning and it will be overlooked; if you break two, you will get another, firmer warning; but if you break three or more rules, you will be fired.

2. I have a right to ask for something in your newsletter to be removed, and if I ask it to be removed, it had better be removed within 24 hours (unless you are Sawd who is only on on the weekends :))
3. Please model your newsletter branches after mine (too many different formats can be confusing for readers); however, I do want to see a personal twist :D
4. Please, please, please keep in contact with me! This is very important! I want to hear everything and anything you have to say about the newsletter. If you don't like something I'm doing, tell me. I want to hear it, I promise. Nothing is too "mean" or "harsh." I like it when you can be honest and upfront with me. :) I want to hear your suggestions! (and anything else you have to say too! :))
I need to know who's still willing to do the newsletters and who's not. I do plan to make some short changes, really for streamlining, making writing it a little easier and perhaps quicker to check facts.

I would like a confirmed yea or nay from each of you whether you're continuing or not. So now would be the time to put in your resignations if there's more of you that can't continue.

_h a z e l_ and I will still be in close contact over the newsletter for the time being and I won't make any changes that any of you are seriously opposed to. So what I quoted above (the original rules) are very unlikely to change at all (including the pay-per-issue).

As a last note, if any of you have suggestions for changes to your separate newsletters or the overall newsletter or for how you go about fact-checking, now would also be the time to voice your options. Or if you want to switch or take over another section, this is also the time to request it. You can vote here, in a PM or request/catch me in chat.

RenegadePegasus - Western Timed Section - Confirmed Staying & Keeping Post
Kamichi Stables - English Eventing Section - possible leaving - confirmation needed - will this coming week be covered?
Hello.
I REALLY wanted to do this, follow through, write. But.. I have been WAY to busy IRL to keep up. I'm really, reallly sorry. Life is really busy right now... I cannot follow through. I'm sorry I let you down,
_h a z e l_ wrote:Sorry..
This is short 'n sweet. :cry:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Sawd10 wrote: Hello.
I REALLY wanted to do this, follow through, write. But.. I have been WAY to busy IRL to keep up. I'm really, reallly sorry. Life is really busy right now... I cannot follow through. I'm sorry I let you down,
_h a z e l_ wrote:Sorry..
This is short 'n sweet. :cry:
I don't want you to feel bad about it. I've been watching and your request to leave doesn't surprise me. If things change in the future and you can cover it, I'd like for you to let the newsletter know.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Sawd10 wrote: Hello.
I REALLY wanted to do this, follow through, write. But.. I have been WAY to busy IRL to keep up. I'm really, reallly sorry. Life is really busy right now... I cannot follow through. I'm sorry I let you down, This is short 'n sweet. :cry:
I don't want you to feel bad about it. I've been watching and your request to leave doesn't surprise me. If things change in the future and you can cover it, I'd like for you to let the newsletter know.
I will. Thank you for understanding.
Lila25172
Visit My Farm

Post by Lila25172 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

Schedule

Rules

RenegadePegasus - Western Timed Section - Confirmed Staying & Keeping Post
Sawd10 - English Other Section - Leaving
I really want to keep on writing this, so yea.
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

BlackOak2 wrote:
_h a z e l_ wrote:

Schedule

Rules

:lol: For some reason I did not get a notification.

I do enjoy writting the driving newsletter! However, I must say that the driving newsletter (basically the driving discipline) does not attract many HWO members as they, as of now at least, do not have interest in it. So I really do not know what my answer is going to be in this matter.

It is really difficult to write the driving newsletter since there is, seriously, nothing new to talk about. I kept having trouble finding Rising stars as there were only about two horses, with a title below Master Champion, that most commonly did not have well results.

The news section was impossibly hard to write as the only thing that I kept on writing was about a horse that 'came' close to breaking a world record (which would of been better to be put under the competition section). There were hardly any intresting competitions to write about (just a few normal competitions) and above all of that, few members actually read the newsletter.

However, I do want to continue writting! I just told you a really important thing that, especially, the driving newsletter is facing
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:...
Lila25172 wrote:...
Thank you both.

Veterinarian, let me know if you received this ping. I see no reason why the coding should have failed for you... If you find you DID NOT get this, send a report to admin, there has been a recent bug floating around that has been affecting pings... I don't know anything beyond the existence of it though. As an additional FYI, the ping given to you was done using the quote button on your post.

As for your concerns, I'm aware that there isn't much driving interests. One of the reasons the newsletter was started, was to help bring light to the other competitions and therefore help to make them more interesting. We'll work on it.

I have a couple new changes I want to suggest to the layout and format, which will make writing your section a lot quicker, until there is actually something interesting to write about.

If you want to write a section that is, in fact, more interesting, the 'English Other' section, Saw10's section or the 'English Eventing' section, Kamichi's section you can claim to do as well for the time being (I'm still waiting for Kamichi to confirm leaving and whether this upcoming will be covered, Saw10 already sent in resignation so I'm assuming this upcoming will NOT be covered).

That's entirely up to you. I can cover them both if need be and replacements can't be found, it's not a big deal.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RenegadePegasus wrote:...
Lila25172 wrote:...
Veterinarian wrote:...
_h a z e l_ wrote:...
_h a z e l_ feel free to continue offering your input, or not, entirely up to you, but I'll continue to include you for now.

I'm still waiting on confirmation from Kamichi, but at this point, and from earlier communication with _h a z e l_ I'm assuming Kamichi is leaving and will not be covering this next release.

So we are now a party of 4 and a half (half being _h a z e l_ :D ).

This communication is to describe the changes to the overall format for the newsletters that I'd like to offer, some of the rules (in addition to, not changes of the originals) and to go over some of the issues that each of you might have with your separate newsletters.

I want input, at least insofar as you're good to go with the changes. But this is a bit long (you know, because I have the habit of being long-winded) :| .

Anyway, without further ado... the format changes (some of these are likely to just reiterate what you already do, but having it down somewhere will help future writer's conform).

The newsletters are mainly highlights and should be written as such.
Horse pictures are a must.

So format goes:
First is: interview/player spotlight is first (if offered, this section is not necessary)

Then each discipline separately
news per discipline must note broken records then anything else optional
rising star, but is not needed
competition/entrant spotlight

Repeat discipline separately and as needed

Then last: extras

I recommend having one rising star per release, not per discipline, of course you're welcome to have more, or none at all.

Now for further information on each section.

Interview/Player Spotlight
The interview is optional. An interview is not necessary, but it offers a lot to the newsletter. It should include what breeds generally populate the player's primary farm (or the farm that the interview is coming from), their top horses either in the competition or breeding sheds, which horse is their favorite or that they're looking forward to the most and what one of their current goals are. You're welcome to design your own interview questions separate from these; this is simply a guideline to make it streamlined. You can also include the guideline and additional questions as well. All this remains at the your discretion.

Instead of an interview, a player spotlight can be used, a spotlight is a non-interview overview of what an account has been recently producing. The general breed population on the farm should be included and one or two, at least, of their competition horses should also be noted.

In the interview or player spotlight, horse links, instead of pictures can be used. Try to use the URL coding properly and name the horse: Toxic Starlet, instead of just having the URL address: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1908287
This just makes it visually more appealing.

News Per Discipline
News needs to include the record breaks that have happened since the last newsletter printing, or just a 'no records broken' notation. This section can also include a high-pot competition or a recurring competition to help bring notice to it. It can be requested by the host of that competition or otherwise. If too many request to publicize competitions comes in, we'll have to discuss what can be done about it.

Rising Star
This section is not necessary, but we all find our eye attracted to something from time to time. This is what this section should be. So, rising stars are at the sole discretion of the writer. However, please note why the star caught your attention. Plus, a Rising Star need not just be a horse, it can also be a stable, however, they will need to appear to be focusing on that discipline in this section.

Competition/Horse Spotlight
The Spotlight section is to cover a competition or horse in the past month that drew the most attention.
OR...
it can also be a random competition.
Pleas, if noting a race, horse or owner/breeder that's separate from the spotlight, please include the links, it should not be a horse picture, just the URL link.
Please keep these things in mind when considering how you'll handle this section:
Horse Spotlight:
Spotlights should include general best times (one or two that pops up most often on the recent history of that first page), some form of current competition record (percentage wins versus total entries or first places versus total, etc) and one other thing that stands out about the horse (such as BR, Conf scores, color, etc).
1) The spotlighted horse can be on that has offered a lot of wins. This is easy to see directly from the Competition Results page, just look for one that keeps popping up. This can be your spotlight horse.
2) A spotlight horse can also be one that comes close more than once to the current records, again, this can be seen from the Competition Results page. But you'll need to know off-hand, what your competition record score is.
Competition Spotlight:
1) A spotlight competition can be a high-pot, which are easily found on the Competition Results page.
2) A spotlight competition can also be a reoccurring competition, but these are a little more difficult to locate. But by looking at the individual competitions, either on the Competition Results page or the Competition Entry page, reoccurring competitions has the past records visible.
3) A spotlight competition can also be a competition that drew a lot of attention from currently, strong-competing horses. This is at the writer's discretion.
4) This can also be the competition posted in the news section of the previous month, giving the highlight of how it concluded.

Extras
This section is for whatever else, you, as the writer of your section of the newsletter, want to include. These can be sales, studs, contests, interesting facts, your favorite horse over the past month (and can be wholly unrelated to your newsletter disciplines), a joke you recently heard or wrote, etc.

Now for the suggestions of the rules I want to add, this will be a straightforward list.

Concerning Writers
Term Limits
1) 3 month turnaround
2) current writer is responsible for finding their replacement, or choosing to keep writing
3) all writer accounts must be at least one month old with regular activity
4) all writer's must be familiar with the codes written for the forum
5) must write in english, but can use a translation tool
6) upgrading is helpful, but not a requirement
Emergencies
responsible for finding a fill-in if release date may be missed

Concerning Manager
1) should be a vote-in by current writers
2) should not be a newbie
3) should consider a term limit
4) should NOT change the pay-rate-per-issue
5) has responsibilities for final fill-in if a newsletter writer or replacement cannot be found
6) changes to the newsletter as a whole should be majority vote
7) changes to each section should be agreed between manager and the current writer of that section

That's it for now. Let me know.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

BlackOak2 wrote:...
Thank you for including me, I like seeing the changes that are going on :) I really like the breakdown of the newsletter and the rules you just laid out in your last post. Speaking of, I think we should jump into chat for a bit to discuss the newsletter branches, if that is ok with you :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm