The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

This horse I met today

Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: This horse I met today

Post by Malakai10 »

PeacefulOreo wrote:
Woah, so beautiful! :D

Yeah, it's better to see in person than to see it in picture but even then, he looks awesome! Yeah, who on earth would want to put down such a beautiful horse?
From what I understand, they somehow mistook coltish behaviour as 'misbehaving'. How someone can mistaking playing and boredom for 'impossible' and 'dangerous' behaviour I don't know *sigh* humans
PeacefulOreo
Visit My Farm

Post by PeacefulOreo »

Malakai10 wrote:
PeacefulOreo wrote:
Woah, so beautiful! :D

Yeah, it's better to see in person than to see it in picture but even then, he looks awesome! Yeah, who on earth would want to put down such a beautiful horse?
From what I understand, they somehow mistook coltish behaviour as 'misbehaving'. How someone can mistaking playing and boredom for 'impossible' and 'dangerous' behaviour I don't know *sigh* humans
Yeah, they should do some more research :roll:
AHorseandPonyLover
Visit My Farm

Post by AHorseandPonyLover »

AHorseandPonyLover wrote:
Malakai10 wrote:
Wow!

He looks so stunning and elegant! :o
It's just sad that they wanted to put down a beauty... If i saw him i would adopt him even if he's stubborn.
~♕♞Tℋℰ♘♕

"If you look into the eyes of a Horse, you won't just see a Horse, you will see life, love and determination."

~Proud Breeder Of ALL Horses/Breeds~
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

AHorseandPonyLover wrote: It's just sad that they wanted to put down a beauty... If i saw him i would adopt him even if he's stubborn.
The thing is, he isn't stubborn at all. He's very brave and sweet - doesn't seem to like sudden movement much though and things that are outside of the arena are a little intimidating but he's otherwise quite confident. He also seem to get bored easily and then he starts trying to play - nibbling a bit without using his teeth. In any case, he'll live a much better life with his new owner than he would have at the track.
AHorseandPonyLover
Visit My Farm

Post by AHorseandPonyLover »

Malakai10 wrote:
AHorseandPonyLover wrote: It's just sad that they wanted to put down a beauty... If i saw him i would adopt him even if he's stubborn.
The thing is, he isn't stubborn at all. He's very brave and sweet - doesn't seem to like sudden movement much though and things that are outside of the arena are a little intimidating but he's otherwise quite confident. He also seem to get bored easily and then he starts trying to play - nibbling a bit without using his teeth. In any case, he'll live a much better life with his new owner than he would have at the track.
Yeah, i hope his new owner will take good care of this beauty. He deserves better life!
~♕♞Tℋℰ♘♕

"If you look into the eyes of a Horse, you won't just see a Horse, you will see life, love and determination."

~Proud Breeder Of ALL Horses/Breeds~
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

Malakai10 wrote:
KYTrainer wrote:.
PeacefulOreo wrote:.
Thundering Horses wrote:.
Got a picture! It's in the first post.
What an amazing creature! Honestly, the only reason you should put down any animal is if their in pain and there is no hope for their recovery.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

KYTrainer wrote: What an amazing creature! Honestly, the only reason you should put down any animal is if their in pain and there is no hope for their recovery.
I would agree with you but I've also heard of this one horse that tried to crush someone's skull very purposefully. I think the person was cleaning the horse's legs or something - nothing that could give a reason for the horse's behaviour - the owner looked over and managed to tell the person to move just before the horse's hoof came down where her head would have been. This was also common behaviour with the owner. The horse might have had a brain tumour, though, I can't remember.

But yeah, in pain, highly dangerous or the possibilty of life or the recovery being worse.
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

Malakai10 wrote:I just felt that I absolutely had to tell you all about this horse I met today, unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but I'll try to get some at some point.
Hello.
Wow, what a GORGEOUS horse!! A beautiful specimen. :mrgreen:
I work with horses and own one and I always love to see when one casts their eye upon a certain horse. That's exactly what I had done with a horse before. It's like you kind of feel an immediate connection to them? And wow his coat is BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely LOVE his looks! Stunning horse. Do you know how old he is?

I would just like to say that I really like a black horse that isn't High Strung. It's nice to see one that's calm rather then the Black Stallion, edgy, only can be around one person, runs off, high strung.. y'know what I mean? It's how the people make those movies LOL.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Sawd10 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote:I just felt that I absolutely had to tell you all about this horse I met today, unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but I'll try to get some at some point.
Hello.
Wow, what a GORGEOUS horse!! A beautiful specimen. :mrgreen:
I work with horses and own one and I always love to see when one casts their eye upon a certain horse. That's exactly what I had done with a horse before. It's like you kind of feel an immediate connection to them? And wow his coat is BEAUTIFUL! I absolutely LOVE his looks! Stunning horse. Do you know how old he is?

I would just like to say that I really like a black horse that isn't High Strung. It's nice to see one that's calm rather then the Black Stallion, edgy, only can be around one person, runs off, high strung.. y'know what I mean? It's how the people make those movies LOL.
I don't - if I were to guess, I'd say about four but no older than five. I heard that they're going to start reintroducing him to riding soon - I think non-race horses are generally backed at age four here and the SYO wouldn't ride him if he were too young. Then again, he could be three since Thoroughbreds do mature earlier and he was taken off the track... I would think he's probably around two to three in the photo.

I can't say that I particularly understand the connection thing. Riding school ponies were... eh. I've also only tried horses with the intent of buying on four occasions. The first was unintentional: my mother never planned on getting me a horse and then my instructor then said that I should try this flea-bitten grey mare. She was nice until she galloped at a jump set up with barrels, jumped 1,2m over the wrong part and I fell off (I wasn't put off by that but there was no way my mum was going to let me get a horse like that.) Then we were sort of pushed into going to look at more horses, I tried a few, there was a TB mare who was nice but known for rearing at shows. Malakai who was pretty and this little, grey pony that ran off and I ended up with blistered hands trying to slow him down. And then I was told to pick a horse that I wanted to lease for a month to see if I liked it and I just chose Mali because: A, whilst he did run a bit at jumps he didn't hurt me and B: he was a rather pretty palomino Saddler-cross. And thus I ended up with Malakai.

Then Mali went permanently lame and we retired him (he's currently fat and looking after the black colt I told you about) and leased and old Thoroughbred. I loved that horse - he was a school master and generally just pleasant to ride. Then the owners wanted him sold instead of just leased and my mum didn't want to buy such as old horse (he was something like 18.) So, looking for another horse. Came across Teal. Sort of pressured into getting him.

Then, I rode this lovely warmblood mare called Balmoral in Cape Town. In her younger years, she had nearly gone up to Grand Prix level for dressage. SYO has commented before that Teal wasn't the sort of horse you give to someone who was my age (and further, most people are very surprised that I put up with him) and Balmoral made me think 'Do I really want to put up with Teal's nonsense?' So, looking for another horse, tried several out. SYO recommends this TB who was just... really unfit and lazy. I didn't like him much - oh, he was nice enough but very exhausting to ride. We gave up on that and I still have Teal. Who's a bit better now, especially now that I've started lunging him. (As a side note: if I had found a horse that I wanted, Teal would have gone to a friend of ours who rescues horses and had agreed to take him should it be necessary - I wouldn't have sold him on to the next unsuspecting fool like what happened with me.) (Second side note: lunging Teal is possible the best thing to do with him and I'm very glad to have found that out. Even better are lunging lessons - my poor legs cramped so terribly but Teal was so well behaved!)

Anyway, I suppose that I sort of feel a connection with hot horses - so long as they listen. Perhaps 'hot' isn't the right word, responsive would be a better one. I'd sooner tolerate an overly responsive horse that goes galloping off at the slightest shift of my weight than a horse that I have to use a stick on to simply keep it trotting. But I've never felt an 'I absolutely must have this horse' sort of connection.

I must admit, I'm a little hesitant about asking since it was earlier this year that I was trying out other horses and I don't want my SYO to think I'm interested in this colt (I'm also a bit shy, so *shrugs*) I might be able to ask the acquaintance who's working with him, though.

Oof, I know - those are so overused in literature, which would be fine if one encountered things other than highly strung black stallions. If there's a horse in any form of media, chances are it's either a black or 'white' (cough grey cough) stallion. And we might see a bay mare every once in a while. Sometimes. And geldings are rarer than unicorns and spayed mares are literally non-existent.

What people don't seem to realise or acknowledge that a horse that can only be handled by one person is often a dead or sold horse... humans don't wait around for that one person who can tame the horse, they get rid of the horse - which, whilst a bit off-putting, is understandable because of the expense of keeping a horse.

He is a little nervous - he's brave with things that are in the arena with him but watches what goes on outside. He's also rather brave and friendly when it comes to people although he doesn't like sudden movements.
Emlyn
Visit My Farm

Post by Emlyn »

Malakai10 wrote:WOW!
He's gorgeous! I've been thinking of getting an OTTB I just don't know how well they will handle a barrel racing pattern. :lol: :)
like to be a lady living in the country with lots of horses and dogs.”
― Queen Elizabeth II

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 pm