The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

IRL Riding Tips

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: IRL Riding Tips

Post by BlackOak2 »

Xzeina wrote:
TheGoldenSnitch1234 wrote:
If you're talking about riding someone else's horse, it's typically considered rude to ask without being offered- however, there are always special circumstances where this might be acceptable, and I don't know your situation, so no judgement at all! You can always offer, saying something like "if you ever get really busy and you need someone to ride the horse, just let me know". This lets them know you're interested, but still gives them the power to say yes or no.

If you're talking about signing up for lessons, there are tons of reputable barns around! If you'd like I can give you some tips on what to look for in a training barn. It' s just a matter of calling and getting signed up.

I hope I was able to answer your questions!
I know it's rude, and I know that I have no right to ask since I haven't even helped out much lately.
The owner doesn't like me riding without her (or at least one of the two other people she trusts to ride without her there) being with me. I understand why she doesn't like it, and since I'm still relatively new at the barn I'm willing to accept the boundaries. Most of the time I'm content enough just being around them, but sometimes I just really want to ask and then I feel bad since she's given me so much already and I don't want to cause her more stress or anything like that.
I want to also offer this.
Sometimes it's not about YOU on the horse. Sometimes it's about the TRUST in the horse to take care of you. A good schoolmaster can be trusted to take solid care of whoever might be on their back. But another horse might act quite differently than expected. Simple experience and understanding of a horse's personality goes a long way.

We're all beginners when we first start and not all horses are mentally or physically capable of handling and balancing us. Only schoolmasters (in reality) can be fully trusted to balance themselves, balance us and be assured of not accidentally stepping on us when we fall off (that'll happen, eventually).

Trust that it'll come. You'll eventually get enough riding experience under your belt that you can at least handle yourself in the saddle. And you'll also make a connection to a horse that will help to ensure your safety in the saddle.

And as a way to get the attention for more rides, you can always say in passing, 'I like riding, I'd love to ride more often.'
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Xzeina
Visit My Farm

Post by Xzeina »

BlackOak2 wrote: Sometimes it's not about YOU on the horse. Sometimes it's about the TRUST in the horse to take care of you...We're all beginners when we first start and not all horses are mentally or physically capable of handling and balancing us. Only schoolmasters (in reality) can be fully trusted to balance themselves, balance us, and be assured of not accidentally stepping on us when we fall off (that'll happen, eventually).
Even the owner's stallion is gentle, so I feel like it's defiantly me that's the issue...that does help me feel a tiny bit better though.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Xzeina wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Sometimes it's not about YOU on the horse. Sometimes it's about the TRUST in the horse to take care of you...We're all beginners when we first start and not all horses are mentally or physically capable of handling and balancing us. Only schoolmasters (in reality) can be fully trusted to balance themselves, balance us, and be assured of not accidentally stepping on us when we fall off (that'll happen, eventually).
Even the owner's stallion is gentle, so I feel like it's defiantly me that's the issue...that does help me feel a tiny bit better though.
Keep in mind a 'gentle' or a 'bombproof' horse is still very different than a 'schoolmaster'.
Schoolmasters are a unique type. Not all horses can become schoolmasters. And in fact, the truer definition of a hors that is a 'schoolmaster', means that the horse is a bit of a rarity. :mrgreen:
Though I have been on a number of different 'safe' horses, I have never ridden an actual 'schoolmaster'. It took me a number of years and riding under watchful eyes, before I was allowed to just ride whenever I was able to... and that was sometime after I had already leased the gelding I rode consistently.

The horse has to first understand and know not only it's job, but the fact that it's a big, strong animal capable of inflicting damage. Not all horses can make that second connection. Then, it also needs to understand that their riders need their help to balance and to be, not only cared for, but very gently handled.
Think of a mare with a foal... forever.

So either YOU need to attain the ability to protect yourself in the saddle, or you need to be paired with a horse that can do that job for you. :mrgreen:

It's often times easier and quicker for us, the rider, to acquire the skills and experience to get to that point ourselves. 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 am

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 am