The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Whats a good time for a racehorse?

Opal_and
Visit My Farm

Whats a good time for a racehorse?

Post by Opal_and »

Hello, I'm wondering what is considered a good time for a *beginner* racehorse. I recently entered a horse I'm training in a race, and he got 02:03.47 minutes, and 02:02.68 minutes in a local show. It was his first race, and I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, and I should keep pushing him in racing, or just find something hes better at. Thank you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Whats a good time for a racehorse?

Post by BlackOak2 »

BlackOpal wrote:Hello, I am BlackOpal, and I'm wondering what is considered a good time for a *beginner* racehorse. I recently entered a horse I'm training in a race, and he got 02:03.47 minutes, and 02:02.68 minutes in a local show. It was his first race, and I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, and I should keep pushing him in racing, or just find something hes better at. Thank you!
That's a fairly seriously competitive racing time. Should he pull those same times in player-made competitions, he could become quite a successful racer.

I'd have to suggest, that a 'beginner' racer isn't really the right verbage to describe the different levels of competitive horses. Rather, you'd have to segregate them by HGP rather than 'untested' or 'inexperienced'.

Generally speaking:
Please Note: these are competitive times and just a general idea based on HGP and not really to be used to gauge a horse's overall ability. There is a bit more to take into account, however, this should give you an idea of where your horse should be able to run.
HGP 45 and below: Around 2:15-2:10
HGP 45 to 55: Somewhere ranged 2:12-2:06
HGP 55 and up: 2:06 and up

Any horse that runs in the 2:08 to 2:04 range is considered (in my book) competitive. Anything that regularly hits 2:02 and better, nearly RH worthy and should be offered that chance (adjust temp and weight to see if that helps). And of course, anything that hits or consistently runs under the two minute mark... yeah :P Those are the top tier racers.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
shadowheart2006
Visit My Farm

Post by shadowheart2006 »

BlackOpal wrote:Hello, I'm wondering what is considered a good time for a *beginner* racehorse. I recently entered a horse I'm training in a race, and he got 02:03.47 minutes, and 02:02.68 minutes in a local show. It was his first race, and I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, and I should keep pushing him in racing, or just find something hes better at. Thank you!
That is a very good time. I would suggest entering him in more racing competitions, seeing what his fastest time is, and then breeding him to a mare who also has a very fast time. Link?
The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings.
If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away.
KYTrainer
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by KYTrainer »

BlackOpal wrote:Hello, I'm wondering what is considered a good time for a *beginner* racehorse. I recently entered a horse I'm training in a race, and he got 02:03.47 minutes, and 02:02.68 minutes in a local show. It was his first race, and I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, and I should keep pushing him in racing, or just find something hes better at. Thank you!
That is a pretty good time. Any time under 02:05 minutes usually is pretty competitive.
Opal_and
Visit My Farm

Post by Opal_and »

BlackOak2 wrote:
BlackOpal wrote:Hello, I am BlackOpal, and I'm wondering what is considered a good time for a *beginner* racehorse. I recently entered a horse I'm training in a race, and he got 02:03.47 minutes, and 02:02.68 minutes in a local show. It was his first race, and I'm not sure if that's a good time or not, and I should keep pushing him in racing, or just find something hes better at. Thank you!
That's a fairly seriously competitive racing time. Should he pull those same times in player-made competitions, he could become quite a successful racer.

I'd have to suggest, that a 'beginner' racer isn't really the right verbage to describe the different levels of competitive horses. Rather, you'd have to segregate them by HGP rather than 'untested' or 'inexperienced'.

Generally speaking:
Please Note: these are competitive times and just a general idea based on HGP and not really to be used to gauge a horse's overall ability. There is a bit more to take into account, however, this should give you an idea of where your horse should be able to run.

Any horse that runs in the 2:08 to 2:04 range is considered (in my book) competitive. Anything that regularly hits 2:02 and better, nearly RH worthy and should be offered that chance (adjust temp and weight to see if that helps). And of course, anything that hits or consistently runs under the two minute mark... yeah :P Those are the top tier racers.
Thank you for the tip! Also, what feed should he be on to achieve that High Strung temperate? I have put him on multiple different feeds, but have only been able to achieve calm or even-tempered so far.
Opal_and
Visit My Farm

Post by Opal_and »

shadowheart2006 wrote:
That is a very good time. I would suggest entering him in more racing competitions, seeing what his fastest time is, and then breeding him to a mare who also has a very fast time. Link?
Thank you for the tip! Will do, also heres his link: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2752904
Opal_and
Visit My Farm

Post by Opal_and »

Well.. his avrage time dropped to about 2:08 minutes xd
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

BlackOpal wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Generally speaking:

Thank you for the tip! Also, what feed should he be on to achieve that High Strung temperate? I have put him on multiple different feeds, but have only been able to achieve calm or even-tempered so far.
In a barn and on corn. Then wait. Some will change temperament with each turn, some it takes a lot longer. The average my herd is at right now, is about 8 months in bombproof and then 6 month temp change thereafter (so every 6 months or 12 turns they'll move upward or downward to the next temperament).

And as for his time, that could be because his temperament changed. :) Or, it could also be the 'expected' range of times he'll mostly pull in. A bit slower, but still competitive though.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Opal_and
Visit My Farm

Post by Opal_and »

BlackOak2 wrote:
BlackOpal wrote:
In a barn and on corn. Then wait. Some will change temperament with each turn, some it takes a lot longer. The average my herd is at right now, is about 8 months in bombproof and then 6 month temp change thereafter (so every 6 months or 12 turns they'll move upward or downward to the next temperament).

And as for his time, that could be because his temperament changed. :) Or, it could also be the 'expected' range of times he'll mostly pull in. A bit slower, but still competitive though.
Thank you!! Will do!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am